went out saturday morning about 4 a.m. walked up to my favorite water hole got there about 6 30. watched a few deer come in in the early morning until about 11 30 when the group of javelina I have been watching for several weeks showed up. the big guy that I have been seeing wasnt there so I put my sights on his brother. he dropped half in the water and half out. although it was a good shot at about 100 yards I think I should of waited till he walked away from the water because it sure made for a muddy pig :) well any way he ended up being 73 lbs undressed and I got 25lbs of meat from him. he wasnt the biggest but I sure had fun getting him. the green measurement of the skull is 15 1/8 inch hope to be able to post some pictures later.

That's a big porker and he wasn't even the big one <_<

Congrats :rolleyes:

Nice job Deerslam, congrats on the pig.

Maybe someone has an answer to this question, because I can't seem to put a finger on it. Why is it that wildlife in certain areas will water consistently during daylight hours, while animals in other areas will rarely or never hit a water tank until the sun goes down? What features does the tank used by wildlife during the day have the other tanks don't?

I'm not talking about cattle tanks on the side of a road either. Some of the water sources I've scouted required a mile or two of hiking to get to.

Thanks,

KP

well I guess I wasnt aware of what I have till reading your posts. I was going to do the skull myself till I read that website you all were talking about. I took it to the taxidermy this morning to get it done. I guess they use bugs and enzymes to eat the flesh and stuff out because boiling causes shrinkage. he said it will be like 60 or so days till it can be measured officially. when I measured the 15 1/8 inch I was going by an old book that I had. he measured in a head jig with a caliper for a closer green measurment of 15 1/4. cant wait to get it done. I still havent got the film devoleped and put on a disk but as soon as I do I will try to post them.

Oh and thanks for that link to javelinahunter it helped alot

Congrats on a monster pig! 15" inches is a hog, and that is cool you were able to weigh it, always wanted to but never wanted to haul one out whole! Jim

" ... he ended up being 73 lbs undressed and I got 25 lbs of meat from him. "

A 73-pound "undressed" javelina would weigh 80-90 pounds on the hoof. That's about what an average young Coues buck will weigh, but it would be a REALLY HUGE hog. Have you thought about suing your butcher? Losing 48 pounds in the butchering process seems extreme.

Years ago, Game and Fish used to have roadblocks where they weighed javelinas. Local sporting goods stores also had "big pig" contests. If I remember, the average of all javelinas coming through the roadblocks was something like 37 or 38 pounds field dressed. A 45- to 48-pound hog would win a bunch of rifles in the contests.

The largest javelina I ever saw was killed with a bow by a guy named Stan Snitzer and it looked like a small bear. I've forgotten what it weighed but it was in the low-60-pound range. At the time it was considered the state record for weight.

BillQ

I've always thought "undressed" meant not gutted or anything, just as is on the hoof? 73 pounds would be a freak of a hog but I have heard of pigs close to that coming in to weigh-ins at contests down by Wilcox and Benson area. Those pigs were always taken from the farm areas where they got all fattened up. My largest pig was last year and had a 15"inch skull and I guessed it weighed close to 50 pounds on the hoof, it felt like 100 pounds by the time I got it to the truck! 25 pounds of meat does sound like not enough, but it all depends on how much was blood shot from the rifle or deemed inedible by the butcher I guess? I just want to see some pic's posted ;) Thanks, JIM

I've always thought "undressed" meant not gutted or anything, just as is on the hoof?  73 pounds would be a freak of a hog but I have heard of pigs close to that coming in to weigh-ins at contests down by Wilcox and Benson area.  Those pigs were always taken from the farm areas where they got all fattened up.  My largest pig was last year and had a 15"inch skull and I guessed it weighed close to 50 pounds on the hoof, it felt like 100 pounds by the time I got it to the truck!  25 pounds of meat does sound like not enough, but it all depends on how much was blood shot from the rifle or deemed inedible by the butcher I guess?  I just want to see some pic's posted  ;)  Thanks, JIM

Jim:

You are correct about "undressed." My Oldtimer's Disease gets me confused from time to time.

That's a double meat whopper of a pig anyway, and losing 48 pounds in butchering seems extreme.

Javelinas tend to get heavier with every step you take. It helps to use the pig carrier I posted on this forum earlier, though.

BillQ