Sign in to follow this  
thegunsmith2506

A couple of foxes from last weekend

I really haven't had many chances to get out and do much calling this season due to work and other hunts. We finally got to hit the hills for a couple of days this past weekend, and had a great time. We had a few coyotes come in, but just wouldn't come in to shotgun range. At about 9am on the first day we were exploring some new country and found a great looking dry river bed. It looked like the perfect spot for a fox. Sure enough, less than a minute into the bird distress and I saw this pretty Grey running through the brush. She checked up at about 25yds in the only shooting lane I had. One shot of 3in lead BB's and she went down hard. On the second day we had to be back early so we hit some of our favorite spots close to home. It was the same story as the day before. Coyotes were there, but stayed out of shotgun range. At about 9am we discovered a great looking stand that we have passed by many times and never even knew it was there. It took about 15min of DGS Cottontail, and we had another pretty Grey running towards the call. I think she caught me lifting my gun as she cleared the last of the brush. She stopped at 37yds and looked like she was ready to bolt. It took a load of 3in BB's and a follow up shot of 3-1/2 #4 buck to put her down for good. This was the biggest fox I have killed yet. She was 11lbs and had awesome fur. I can't wait to get back out there.....

Day 1 9lb female

DSC00525.jpg

New stand from day 2

DSC00941.jpg

DSC00946.jpg

DSC00947.jpg

DSC00950.jpg

Awesome! Its been way too long since I've been out calling. Seeing your pics has really got me itching to get out. Coats look good on those Greys. Congrats!

-Tracy

I love my Maxus as well... how well does yours pattern #4 buck?

nice!

I can't wait to get some all day callin in!

thanks for sharing!

jamesd

I love my Maxus as well... how well does yours pattern #4 buck?

Been using a Dead Coyote choke and it patterns #4 ok out to about 45yds. It shoots the BB's great inside 35yds. I really want it to pattern better so I need to put some more time into working up a good combo for it. I think I might start loading for it this next season. As far as the shotgun goes, its by far the best I have ever used!