Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

G7 rangefinder by Gunwerks

I'm trying to get opinions on this rangefinder and see what people think. The price is a lot of money, but I'm in the market for a quality rangefinder and really like the concept behind this rangefinder.

Hey Justin, I used one a couple weeks ago on a hunt in 24A. The guy I was helping is actually my rifle builder and also a retired engineer that LOVES any knew gadget that hits the market related to long range shooting. He had recently purchased one and we tested it out on rocks at very steep angles and very extreme yardages and lastly I used it to range his buck.

The G7 is basically a little computer that calculates EVERYTHING for you except wind speed! Just carry a Kestrel wind checker and your set! The angle corrections were amazingly accurate as we tested it out on rocks between 1100-1250 yards at very extreme angles which seemed like straight up and I watched as he crushed small rocks consistently with amazing accuracy by simply shooting the adjusted MOA readings!

Another cool thing about it was you could enter multiple rifles and save them in the unit so you can just tell it which gun your using and it calculates all the variables and gives you readings based off the specifics you entered for that certain rifle!

The G7 is amazing at what it does but I will say it's not for a beginner. Somebody that doesn't have a decent understanding about rifles, MOA's or the many variables involed with long range shooting will only be confused with the G7. Also, somebody that just uses factory ammo and a 300 yard gun will just be wasting their money if they bought the G7.

If your serious about getting a G7 Justin let me know and I'll put you in touch with my friend, he will talk your ear off about it! ;)

Hey Justin, I used one a couple weeks ago on a hunt in 24A. The guy I was helping is actually my rifle builder and also a retired engineer that LOVES any knew gadget that hits the market related to long range shooting. He had recently purchased one and we tested it out on rocks at very steep angles and very extreme yardages and lastly I used it to range his buck.

The G7 is basically a little computer that calculates EVERYTHING for you except wind speed! Just carry a Kestrel wind checker and your set! The angle corrections were amazingly accurate as we tested it out on rocks between 1100-1250 yards at very extreme angles which seemed like straight up and I watched as he crushed small rocks consistently with amazing accuracy by simply shooting the adjusted MOA readings!

Another cool thing about it was you could enter multiple rifles and save them in the unit so you can just tell it which gun your using and it calculates all the variables and gives you readings based off the specifics you entered for that certain rifle!

The G7 is amazing at what it does but I will say it's not for a beginner. Somebody that doesn't have a decent understanding about rifles, MOA's or the many variables involed with long range shooting will only be confused with the G7. Also, somebody that just uses factory ammo and a 300 yard gun will just be wasting their money if they bought the G7.

If your serious about getting a G7 Justin let me know and I'll put you in touch with my friend, he will talk your ear off about it! ;)

No offense to those folks using factory ammo and 300 yard guns! I'm just saying if that's the type of shooter you are there are much more user friendly and cheaper rangfinders on the market. ;)

Jim,

It calculates wind, but only after you input mph from a wind meter correct?

Also how strong is the laser, how far out were you able to go?

Jim,

It calculates wind, but only after you input mph from a wind meter correct?

Also how strong is the laser, how far out were you able to go?

I'm not sure to what extent it gives windage, I just know you still needed a wind meter to get the wind speed.

I don't know the max yardage, it acquired everything I ranged with it and the farthest target I ranged was a coues at 1640 with the G7 resting on top of tripod mounted binos.

I've had one for about a month now and love it!!! It is everything they advertise it to be. I've got readings out to over 2000 yards. The BC computer will make calculations out to 1400 yards and compensates for angle, temperature, and barometric pressure. When you press the button it will give you the actual yardage, then the compensated yardage. All you have to do is click and shoot. You can also program up to 5 different rifle's or loads into it at the same time as well. It does give a wind hold but you need to either guess the wind or use a Kestrel. Took me about an hour to read the instructions, figure out all the buttons, and get my first rifle programed into it. I honestly can't think of anything bad to say about it. If anyone is in the Prescott area and wants to take a look at it I'd be happy to meet up and show it to you.

- Tim

Can you program it to use MOA or do you have to use Gunwerks turrets for adjustments?

Can you program it to use MOA or do you have to use Gunwerks turrets for adjustments?

YES!

Yes to MOA ?

Yes to MOA!

I want one but bought a Swaro this year so it is going to have to wait. :angry:

Although I do really like the Swaro!

Can you set it for MILS instead of MOA? This may be on my hit list.