Sign in to follow this  
Couzer

Show Tonight at 10 pm

Just saw there is a show on the Sportmans Channel with Coues Hunting tonight 1-15-12.

I just watched that and had some questions:

1. What kind of rattler did he kill: I'd be a little nervous about some of those mountains species, especially on film when an ID mistake could cost you lots of money.

2. Putting deer fat around the heart to cook it???? I've always been told that deer fat is putrid and to cut it all out. Can't say I have ever tried it?

Looks like it was on at 7pm as well.

Yeah I hear u on the snake, I have came across a few rattlers in the same general area that are protected! I figured sinced he killed it he felt obligated to eat it.

2nd where did that webbing fat come from, it was loud with all the people talking in the back ground at my house so I missed that part. Pretty cool thought how he wrapped it all up. But I like the gutless method better.

For the most part it was a good show, but I would of went after the bigger buck!!!! Ha ha

That fat looked like the stuff around the stomach when you gut an animal. I wouldn't eat or cook with deer fat but obviously some do. I thought the show was OK. The guy also shot an animal that was wounded..... not too many folks would do that on a TV show. I thought it was a good change of pace to see some coues deer hunting. Get tired of watching all the eastern white tail shows.

• Like 2

Just curious for those who saw the show, what were the binos that his guide/friend was using? I was surprised that for a guy sponsored by Vortex that he kept claiming that he could not see anything. Not that there is anything wrong with vortex, but not a good job of hilighting your sponsor.

I think he shot the buck because it was available and not necessarily because it was wounded (sounded good for tv though). He was having a tough time finding bucks. Forget what he called the lacy membrane, but he didn't refer to it as fat. Also, I believe the binoculars his buddy was using were the older Doctor 15s. My bud has the older model and they looked like one and the same.

I enjoyed the show, but was disappointed that he killed the rattler. Not sure what kind that was, but would love to know if that particular one is protected.

Justin

gotcoues,

He referred to it several times as Caul Fat.

Caul Fat - an industry term for fat that is deposited across the peritoneum which surrounds the stomach and abdominal visceral organs. This fat looks like lace.

I looked it up. What a nerd, huh?

Lee

That's right, I was thinking cole or caul, but forgot the fat. For a minute, I debated watching it again because it is on the dvr, but figured the show wasn't that great for a round two.

Just curious for those who saw the show, what were the binos that his guide/friend was using? I was surprised that for a guy sponsored by Vortex that he kept claiming that he could not see anything. Not that there is anything wrong with vortex, but not a good job of hilighting your sponsor.

The bino's looked like my Zeiss 15x60 B/GAs, great glass.

No and No, to both questions from Big Tub... but my great-grandmother used to make some awesome hand cream from deer fat and sulphur. One thousand times better than "corn huskers" or triple antibiotic oinment.

Just saw there is a show on the Sportmans Channel with Coues Hunting tonight 1-15-12.

Ahh man i missed it.....what was the title of the show?

Ahh man i missed it.....what was the title of the show?

Meat eater was the name of the show. It was worth watching if you see it on again.