jamaro

Land Usage Maps

OK Guys...

I need some input... I and NMWF want to do some sort of PSA talking about Land Usage Maps, particularly on GPS's. Basically what we are finding is that some NOT all LO are trying to bluff totally legal hunters off of public land... It happened to a board member this weekend... What we need to do is "arm" ourselves with knowledge. We need a way of pushing back on these LO that are making ideal threats of trespassing.. We also need to make sure that we are not trespassing and doing the right thing... These LO have learned that if they sound convincing enough many sportsman will back down because they are not 100% that they are on public land.. If effect many checkerboard parts of the state don't get hunted because people are just too afraid to risk it...SOOO my questions is

1) How do you determine Land Usage?

2) Do you have any things we should include on the PSA?

3) Anything else???

Once again thank you

Jason

www.The New Mexico Sportsman.com

In Arizona the state has GIS Data maps available on line, and the bigger counties also have the GIS Data maps on line. The maps provided by the state show land ownership, but the county maps go much more into detail, and will actually tell you who owns each private parcel. Actually I think they put too much information on line, you can find out who the mortage for each parcel is with and the amount of taxes owed...

Sent you a PM.

In Arizona the state has GIS Data maps available on line, and the bigger counties also have the GIS Data maps on line. The maps provided by the state show land ownership, but the county maps go much more into detail, and will actually tell you who owns each private parcel. Actually I think they put too much information on line, you can find out who the mortage for each parcel is with and the amount of taxes owed...

AZLance could you post the web sites you use to obtain the maps you use, please and thanks Stephen.

You would be supprised on how many places you can find GIS info, maps and land usage online. Google up some stuff!

Thanks for the assist, this will help alot with the rancher I have run into in the past. All of my maps are old and out-dated. thx Stephen

good luck with all of that. I have had more trouble finding accurate maps for New Mexico. You sure cant trust the Forest Service maps, and trying to deal with some counties is just plain impossible.