eric

Shed hunting dogs?

I was just wondering if anybody used dogs to locate sheds. Is it legal! anyway. I hope i get up to unit 27 soon. Anybody going to unit 10 or 9?

I wish I had a couple dogs that would do that but I don't. I'm sure it'd be totally legal also.

A bone dog :lol:

I've got a dvd, Lowland Mulie series, where they use dogs to help find sheds in Id.

I've used my lab to pick up antlers before. It wasn't really until this year that I've done any specific training for it in regards to searching them out and bringing them back. In the past I've just used him to retrieve elk antlers I've found that are across or in creeks down in the bottom of canyons. He found a couple of Coues sheds for me this past year while quail hunting, but it was more that we stopped to take a break and when I looked up he was standing over them.

PC310001.jpg

Someone else must have found them before me because they weren't but 10 inches apart.

I took him out last weekend but I think we were up too high where we were looking. He found several real bones, and one leg with a broadhead in it, but no horns...

He loves chewing on the antlers. He's chewed up several at my parents up north. I think that's his main motivation for finding them... :blink:

I have been letting my pup play with some sheds, she thinks they're chew toys. Nice browning Ron.

when my parents got our chocolate lab, i gave her a few sheds to chew on but she didnt show much interest in them. my mut i have (doberman/austrilian shepard) surpirsed me the other day. i had a small muley antler i found while quail huntingin the garage. i left the door going down to the garage open and while i was gone, he went down, brought it up stairs and started chewing on it which is fine. i have caught him chewing on it a few times in the back yard. that kinda makes me happy, maybe he can help me find some horns! he LOVES going on hikes so maybe i can put him to good use! buthe is scared to death of gun shots! was out quail hunting with him and my chocolate lab one time, when i comenced to shooting, he ran and hid while my lab was righy by myside and, oddly enough, with out any traning she retrieved one of the quail i busted!

and yes, that is a nice old school browning!

My GSP loves chewing on antlers.....In the field though he only pics them up if I show them to him. He will carry them for a long time for me after that. I think he runs too fast to see them and pic k them up himself...lol. too busy looking for birds (and who knows what else) I guess.

Welcome, Ron, to our little Coues family!

I would love to see that picture of that leg bone with a broadhead in it!

:blink:

Thanks for the compliment on the browning. I've had it for a lot of years.

Here's the pics of the leg bone with the broadhead in it. I'll leave them big so the detail can be seen. Hope there's no dial up users...

Dog with the leg before I noticed the broadhead.

P3260007.jpg

Close up of broadhead in leg

P3260010.jpg

Broadhead (sorry it's not in the best focus.)

P3260013.jpg

It was an expandable. Didn't take the time to figure out if it was a right or left side leg and what side the broadhead was in.

Ron

He is still a pup, but he helped me find this old guy... The buck died in velvet, I think an archer took him early season and lost him... Unfortunately the coyotes got to him first. The G2 is 7 inches, and the eye guard is 2... Would have been a great buck...

post-1107-1146332347.jpg

Looks like an NAP Spitfire. . . . . and a long shot or a weak bow. . . . .ouch, what a bummer.

I think you can use your chihuahua to lure in coyotes and lions though ;)