Sign in to follow this  
Pixman

I found the Hybrids again...

wonder if they stott or take off like a rocket

According to everything I have read in regards to hybrids only 100% Mule deer can Stot or Pogo. I found a great write up years back, Actually a Thesis by Roy Lopez if you want to read about the genetics of Coues and hybrids( chapter 2 ) here is the link .... My link

Them are the best pictures I've ever seen of the hybrids. Great job of capturing them on film. :)

TJ

Well I can tell you this much when I do spook them the Hybrids never flag like a whitetail does as it runs away. I found that interesting, I guess they haven't been taught to use their big tail like a coues does!

wonder if they stott or take off like a rocket

According to everything I have read in regards to hybrids only 100% Mule deer can Stot or Pogo. I found a great write up years back, Actually a Thesis by Roy Lopez if you want to read about the genetics of Coues and hybrids( chapter 2 ) here is the link .... My link

Another good source of information on hybrids, as well as anything else you may want to know about deer, is "Deer Of The World" by Valerius Geust. It's pricey, but there are used copies on the internet from time to time.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1