COOSEFAN

Friend and Family Hunt In Sonora (part 1)

Hey guys and gals, I'm back again from yet another great hunt in beautiful Sonora, Mexico!

This trip consisted of my dad and close family friends, Manny B. and Gary. We headed down to hunt some ranches that I've been wanting to try for several years now. We knew the quality of deer would be on the smaller side but we also knew the quantity would be high so the plan was to have a blast and kill some good bucks in the process and we did just that!

I've got TONS of pics and our friend Manny B. gets credit for most of the great pics that i'm posting here. I'll keep this post picture heavy and text light as this post could get REALLY long if I went into all the details.

Here's the first ranch we hunted, it was fairly thick and nasty but we still glassed up quite a few deer, some decent bucks and great rut action!

MexicoDMG_2730_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2733_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2731_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2717_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2658_edited-1.jpg

Here's a few pics of the crew, also one of a rock squirrel that I thought was dead but after picking it up I realized he was just sleeping! Also, a rare find, a lion skull and javi skull lying next to each other! The rest of the bones were scattered together as well!

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2944_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2980_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2625_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2627_edited-1.jpg

First up was Manny B.. We had a good buck spotted on the first day and set up on him till dark but he never came out for a shot. The next day Pops and I snuck around the back door and Manny B, Gary and our friend Santos came in high. We all located the buck at first light at the same time and he was the same distance from all of us but Manny B. was in the best position for a stalk. He and Santos snuck in and took the buck at 275 yards and Manny B. had his biggest coues on the ground! Here's some pics I took of the buck before he hit the ground, Manny B. is to the left of the buck in these pics getting ready to hammer em'!

MexicoDMG_2639_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2640_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2641_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2646_edited-1.jpg

Here's the wide brute up close!

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2902_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2922_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMGMannysCam_2927_edited-1.jpg

Now, after watching Manny take his buck, Pops and I head over a nasty hill and glass a big canyon. We immediately find another good buck and after crossing another canyon we close the distance as much as we could. The shot was 646 yards with angle to account for and some crosswind. We set up the .300 WM on the tripod with the Loc Jaw/Rifle Railz adapter and dad settled in behind the gun.

Here's the only pic I got of the buck before the shot, you can see his legs as he is standing on top of the boulder just left of the tree. you can see the shine of his beam and face as he's looking to the right just under the branch..

MexicoDMG_2660_edited-1.jpg

Here's Pops set up for the longest shot he's ever taken!

MexicoDMG_2669_edited-1.jpg

BOOM! ....... WHOP! The buck folded and barrel rolled 70-80 yards down the steep mountain, we didn't know it yet but he unfortunately broke 3 tines in the process :( We were excited with the shot and the clean kill, but I was worried about the task before me! I had to cross the canyon and crawl and claw my way up that nasty mountain!

MexicoDMG_2673_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2680_edited-1.jpg

Climbing up that mountain was one of the toughest things I've done, the pictures don't do it justice at all! Everytime I moved the buck he would roll or slide and take me with him! I propped him up on this boulder to take a couple pics and then had to brace his back legs on a tree to skin and quarter em'. I was sad to see he broke tines but they can be fixed, Pops made a phenomenal shot and I was proud of em'!

MexicoDMG_2687_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2702_edited-1.jpg

MexicoDMG_2705_edited-1.jpg

So that was that for that ranch, it was good but we wanted to check out the next ranch and see some new country and find a big buck for Gary! I'll have to start a new thread because I've got too many pics!

MexicoDMG_2607_edited-1.jpg

Sweet pics Jim looks like you guys had a good time! KOWA's are the ticket aren't they?

also one of a rock squirrel that I thought was dead but after picking it up I realized he was just sleeping!

:blink: Huh? :blink: ???Dead???Asleep??? :huh: What the heck? :lol: LoL

Thanks all! I love hunts like this past one, we were hopeful to find bigger bucks but the main goal was to enjoy every aspect of the hunt and have fun, taking decent bucks in the end was all just a bonus!

Jay, yeah, nothing compares to the Kowas, it's almost not even fair to the little critters that like to hide out there! :lol: Luckily for me my friend LOVES using them too and doesn't mind packing them around for me!

Ilene, that squirrel looked dead, I even poked him but when I picked him up by the tail he growled and squirmed around! He was actually sick and was dead the next day unfortunately. I washed my hands really good after that!

It's always nice to watch and read your posts Jim. Looks like a good time had by all. Now I can't wait to finish up here and open part 2. Congratulations on everyones bucks. Pop's got it made. Just make the shot and then watch as his son take care of him. I'm sure he deserves every bit of it. Thanks for sharing. :)

TJ

Very cool Jim on what looks and sounds like an awesome hunt! Great bucks, fun times, and good people in some beautiful country! Congrats to all!