Sign in to follow this  
AZLance

Federal Judge dismisses lawsuit against Rosemont Copper

The naysayers may not agree, but the mine will have a major and positive economic impact on southern Arizona if it is approved.

Take 20% off Rosemont's estimate of 2,100 jobs as Elkhunter1 suggests, and that leaves 1,680 jobs directly and indirectly attributable to the proposed mine.

With an average family size of 3.4 persons, that many jobs would support a town of about 6,000 residents. According to Wikipedia, that's larger than Benson (pop. 4,934) and only slightly smaller than Willcox (pop. 3,769), Patagonia (pop. 913) and Tombstone (pop. 1,562) combined.

As for environmental concerns, I'm glad the mine will have to operate under the rules and standards of the EPA and other agencies.

We own a townhouse in Green Valley, and it is comforting to know that our tenants and Green Valley's nearly 17,000 other residents have experienced no problems from living almost on the tailings of a huge open pit mine that has operated under those rules and standards for a very long time.

Bill Quimby

Bill you have obviously missed all the complaining and bitching the Green Valley residents did last year over the blowing dust from the very tailings you spoke of. The wage number of 47,000 a year you also spoke of is very high, department store managers don't make that much. I know people that hold B.S. degrees that don't make that. Who are you speaking of and what position do they hold, so I can get trained in that field. I guess I just don't see it so.... "show me the money"

Yes, I did miss those complaints about blowing dust from the tailings at Green Valley. So far, I haven't heard about it being declared a serious health hazard, though. I grew up in Yuma when blowing dust was a way of life for everyone who lived there. It wasn't tailings dust, to be sure, but most of the folks I went to school with are still with us.

A department store manager's salary depends upon the department store. The managers of Macy's, Dillards, Sears, JCPenney and similar large stores responsible for 75-100 employees and annual gross sales of $8 million or more are making a heck of a lot more than $47,000. Some have five-figure salaries.

I admit I plucked $47,000 out of the sky, but I may have been too conservative. According to a report on Google, mining jobs in Arizona on average paid $60,000 per year in 2007, which was 44% higher than the average annual wage here that year.

Note that those are AVERAGES. Some mining jobs pay less, some pay more.

High paying jobs in mining are nothing new. I remember when I learned in 1958 that miners working at the then-three-year-old San Manuel Mine were being paid $50 a day ($13,000 year). I was shocked.

I had spent four years at the UA earning a Bachelor's degree in marketing and had recently been hired by an advertising and PR agency that paid me the grand sum of $10,000 year. It was a very good starting salary when you consider that my new Chevy station wagon cost $2,300 and our 2,500 sq. ft. home on an acre in the foothills overlooking Tucson cost $21,500 in 1958, but it was less than what those miners were making.

They were working only eight hours a day, five days a week and got paid extra for overtime. I soon was spending ten hours a day, sometimes six or seven days a week when we "pitched" potential new clients, with no overtime pay.

As for what job you should train for, any administrator responsible for a large budget and 25-50 employees in almost every field will be paid at least $60,000 to $100,000. If you want to earn more than that, consider a doctorate in law or medicine.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

Ok besides the eye sore there is a great possibility of irreversible damage to the water table and the environment in general. The risk is too great to let this mine go any further than they already have. One question I have is did they have the necessary permits to clear the land they have already? Seems to me if they haven't gotten the permits to start mining why, have they cleared so much land? ALL IS IMHO.

I'm sure if they didn't have the necessary permits your friends at the Center for Biological Diversity and the other enviro wacko groups will be filling another lawsuit at taxpayers expense. B)

Lets get one thing straight those groups aren't my friends, pals, or even acquaintances. Just because their agenda is the same as mine doesn't put us in the same category or even in the same canyon. Now having said that, I understand your position, good jobs although for a few. Lets not let this situation make us enemies as we both love hunting and the environment we live in. We are just on opposite sides of the fence. Happy hunting to you and yours.

Bottom line first full sentence B)

I have said it before in other threads on this issue. I have a lot of family that work for copper mines in AZ and I love the wild places in this state that are disappearing at an alarming rate. So I am torn. Let's not kid ourselves, if you choose to support the Rosemont Mine you are choosing jobs and U.S resource independence over protecting a wild place that belonged to all the people of this country (National Forest) I don't know which is the right call in this scenario but I know all I have to do is climb on top of some of my favorite mountains in the world (the Santa Ritas)look west across the I-19 at Duval and know that is the cost of opening more copper pit mines in AZ. It's just a fact, you cannot return the mountain to what it was ever after you open pit mine.

Lee

Yes, I did miss those complaints about blowing dust from the tailings at Green Valley. So far, I haven't heard about it being declared a serious health hazard, though. I grew up in Yuma when blowing dust was a way of life for everyone who lived there. It wasn't tailings dust, to be sure, but most of the folks I went to school with are still with us.

A department store manager's salary depends upon the department store. The managers of Macy's, Dillards, Sears, JCPenney and similar large stores responsible for 75-100 employees and annual gross sales of $8 million or more are making a heck of a lot more than $47,000. Some have five-figure salaries.

I admit I plucked $47,000 out of the sky, but I may have been too conservative. According to a report on Google, mining jobs in Arizona on average paid $60,000 per year in 2007, which was 44% higher than the average annual wage here that year.

Note that those are AVERAGES. Some mining jobs pay less, some pay more.

High paying jobs in mining are nothing new. I remember when I learned in 1958 that miners working at the then-three-year-old San Manuel Mine were being paid $50 a day ($13,000 year). I was shocked.

I had spent four years at the UA earning a Bachelor's degree in marketing and had recently been hired by an advertising and PR agency that paid me the grand sum of $10,000 year. It was a very good starting salary when you consider that my new Chevy station wagon cost $2,300 and our 2,500 sq. ft. home on an acre in the foothills overlooking Tucson cost $21,500 in 1958, but it was less than what those miners were making.

They were working only eight hours a day, five days a week and got paid extra for overtime. I soon was spending ten hours a day, sometimes six or seven days a week when we "pitched" potential new clients, with no overtime pay.

As for what job you should train for, any administrator responsible for a large budget and 25-50 employees in almost every field will be paid at least $60,000 to $100,000. If you want to earn more than that, consider a doctorate in law or medicine.

Bill Quimby

I realy don't think this mine will bring aditional stores from Macys, JCP or Sears. You might argue it could bring Walmart, Target or K-Mart all of which pay managers 32,000 to 38,000. I was the assistant field manager working hourly with my manager on salary and I made more than he did, due to overtime. I also made more than the site manager in charge of a crew of 60 with four field managers under him. The region he controlled was southern Arizona, Yuma to Portal and all south. We could argue this all day, the point still remains these numbers are all fictitious until they are set in stone that is all they are

I am 50/50 on it. I have spent alot of time riding in there, as it was an OHV designated area, having picnics, fun,etc. It is a beautiful area.

On the flipside I would love to have a good paying job with benefits once again. As a casualty of the construction implosion 3 years ago, and the resulting collateral damage to me and my family, it would be nice to see some real liveable wage jobs being created. It is not easy starting life over when you are almost 50.

As far as the ecological impact, I don't know enough about it to comment.

• Like 1

I am 50/50 on it. I have spent alot of time riding in there, as it was an OHV designated area, having picnics, fun,etc. It is a beautiful area.

On the flipside I would love to have a good paying job with benefits once again. As a casualty of the construction implosion 3 years ago, and the resulting collateral damage to me and my family, it would be nice to see some real liveable wage jobs being created. It is not easy starting life over when you are almost 50.

I feel your pain! I too recently had to re-evaluate my financials after eating all of my 401-k. i took the jump and started my own business as a sub-contractor. I would give almost anything for my family, but not the future of my family, there come a time one has to say NO, NOT HERE. That time for me is now!!!

I feel your pain! I too recently had to re-evaluate my financials after eating all of my 401-k. i took the jump and started my own business as a sub-contractor. I would give almost anything for my family, but not the future of my family, there come a time one has to say NO, NOT HERE. That time for me is now!!!

Unfortunately, my wife and stepdaughter abandoned ship. Left me to deal with the damage, so it is just me now, to do as I will. Hopefully find a financial life again!

Unfortunately, my wife and stepdaughter abandoned ship. Left me to deal with the damage, so it is just me now, to do as I will. Hopefully find a financial life again!

I am sorry to hear that. I don't think I could have held up to that kind of pain. You are a tough man. Good hunting to you.

not going to comment on my post on salaries Mr Quimby? I was having fun with our debate>

"realy don't think this mine will bring aditional stores from Macys, JCP or Sears. You might argue it could bring Walmart, Target or K-Mart all of which pay managers 32,000 to 38,000. I was the assistant field manager working hourly with my manager on salary and I made more than he did, due to overtime. I also made more than the site manager in charge of a crew of 60 with four field managers under him. The region he controlled was southern Arizona, Yuma to Portal and all south. We could argue this all day, the point still remains these numbers are all fictitious until they are set in stone that is all they are "

1) Don't remember my saying that the mine's opening would result in the opening of a department store anywhere. 2) I don't consider Walmart a source of living wages, and 3) I doubt that a regional manager at Walmart actually was responsible for setting budgets or making important administrative decisions. Such things, I am guessing, would be done at a much higher level by people making much more money than you've quoted.

I happen to know something about department stores. After leaving the advertising agency, and before I went to work for the Tucson Citizen in 1967, I was earning $37,500 a year as assistant sales promotion and advertising manager for Levy's, a Tucson-based department store. That was 45 years ago, and the dollar went considerably farther then. I have no idea what my boss made, but I suppose it was about $50,000. His boss, the store's "manager" (his title actually was president and CEO) would have made at least twice that and probably a lot more.

That same year I moved to the newspaper, I turned down an offer of $50,000 year to move to Los Angeles to be the advertising manager of a large department store. I have never regretted making the career change, even though I took a pay cut to do it. Although I had to work from 4 a.m. to 7 p.m. daily at two jobs in journalism and publishing simultaneously for more than 18 years to do it, I made a comfortable living at jobs that allowed me to hunt all over the world before and after I retired.

But I digress. Check Google for wages paid in Arizona's mining industry. The site I found said the average wage in mining in this state was $60,000. Again, averages include those who make less and those who make more.

Bill Quimby

• Like 1

I found this through a google search.

Wal-Mart Management Salary Scale

This information is from the 2008-2009 Salaried Managment and bonus plan.

Asset Protection Coordinator- $30,000 - 41,000

Assistant Manager - 38,000 - 55,000

People Manager (HR) - 38,000 - 48,000

Co-Manager - 60,000

Store Manager - 70,000 - 100,000

Market Merchandisers (Electronics, Grocery, Fashion, TLE) - 85,000 - 110,000

Market Asset Protection, Human Resource - 70,000 - 95,000

Market Manager - 115,000

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/How_much_does_Wal-Mart_Store_Management_make#ixzz1lwgaUiJo