Sign in to follow this  
Campnichols

56lb Javelina

Just wanted to give a "Thank You" to David Frank at Grand Canyon Outfitters for his help with my first bow kill on this crazy big boar.

This was a blast of a hunt and David is a great guy!

Lance

post-6445-0-98724700-1329177065_thumb.jpg

56lb. thats a good one for sure.

Congratulations on taking a huge animal. I'm not disputing the weight, but your photo does not do justice to a javelina that weighs that much after field dressing.

Bill Quimby

We used the SCI weighing rules. We didn't want to deduct for the guts. He took him a long time to grow that belly. Congrats on a big pig Lance. The skull will most likely make the Arizona record book. David

Bill - I am a Native of Tucson and Phoenix transplant. I was wondering if you knew Pete Cowgill? I met Pete when I was in high school and did some hikes up Pusch ridge with him.

"Bill - I am a Native of Tucson and Phoenix transplant. I was wondering if you knew Pete Cowgill? I met Pete when I was in high school and did some hikes up Pusch ridge with him.

Yes, I know Pete. He and Tom Foust were the outdoor writers for the morning paper. I worked for the afternoon paper. The three of us had lunch three or four years ago, but I've not seen either of them since.

Bill Quimby

We used the SCI weighing rules. We didn't want to deduct for the guts. He took him a long time to grow that belly. Congrats on a big pig Lance. The skull will most likely make the Arizona record book. David

It's been a long time since I edited the SCI record books, but we ranked javelina entries by skull size. The only weights we recorded back then were elephant tusks. What are the SCI weighing rules now?

Bill Quimby

Bill, I was joking about the SCI scoring system. We simply weighed the pig since he looked so big. There was a pig shot last year that was 59 and we thought this one might beat it. I have never seen it stated anywhere that an animal has to be gutted or not when weighing them. Its getting a little to serious around here. David

AZhuntnut:

Guess I was too close to SCI in the past, but the humor about its imaginary weighing system actually escaped me. I suppose you used SCI in your joke because the club has a unwarranted reputation for having members who use only measuring tapes to judge the quality of their hunts and trophies. .

I am not trying to be "too serious." Honest.

You are entitled to weigh animals with or without their guts, or even sopping wet if that's what you want to do. I apologize if you took my comments any other way.

That's a fine javelina that Lance shot, no matter how it was weighed, and he is to be congratulated.

Bill Quimby