Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Check out these fat pigs

Where was this, Coach? Javelinas in a pine forest in February? Amazing. Until seeing your photos I would have bet that it would be too cold for them in winter at that elevation. I learn something every day.

Bill Quimby

Hey Bill, these guys are in the white mountains. Funny part is they only seem to come around late winter and early spring.

Del, your post doesn't deserve a reply, since it's nothing but negativity. But I'll give you one anyway. While it may not have been made explicit in the original post, I don't feed them dog food. They roam around the neighborhood eating whatever is available - in some cases, dog food. I don't have outdoor dogs. I have a compost pile, which is legal and none of your business anyway. So the next time you feel inclined to post a negative comment, please do us all a favor and keep it to yourself.

• Like 3

Hey Coach, we have quite a few javelina, not piggies, (thats for you Bill I'm thinking before I post :D ) ( that isn't supposed to be negative just good natured I hope you realize) they hang around the rim country from heber to Show Low. Used to be a pretty big herd just south of Show Low at Sierra Pines, but I haven't seen them much lately.

I'm not so sure that Del is that out of line, albeit maybe not tactful. In Tucson and in Phoenix, I do believe it is illegal to feed wildlife. I know that on Saguaro East, G&F did a scat survey on coyotes and 80% was dog food. When javelina and coyotes become acclimated to humans from feeding, they become dangerous, not to mention that the higher concentration of prey can bring in the mountain lions. The title on your post indicated these javelina were being fed dog food, which really isn't a good idea. I did a search on the G&F website and found:

Q: Should I feed wildlife?

A: Wildlife encounters around your home can be enjoyable, but at times may be cause for concern. Many Arizona residents feed wildlife, including birds, because we want to see them around our homes. When done properly, feeding can be the source of much interest and enjoyment. Keep in mind that feeding small wild animals can have unintended consequences, such as attracting rodents or larger predators. There are also certain animals that should never be fed because they can become a nuisance or even a threat to human safety, such as bears, coyotes and javelina. These animals, when fed, become comfortable with humans and may become aggressive. If this happens, the animal must be removed at great expense and with dire consequences for the animal. Aggressive animals are often either killed or relocated, and relocation results in very low survival rates. In fact, you can often do these animals a favor by going out of your way to make them uncomfortable. If they keep their natural fear of people, they are less likely to become a nuisance and more likely to live a longer life.

In 2006, the Arizona Legislature passed a “no feeding wildlife” law, making it illegal to feed wildlife (except birds and tree squirrels) in Pima and Maricopa counties. Tree squirrels are generally those found in the mountains, such as Abert’s and Arizona tree squirrels. Squirrels in the low deserts of Phoenix and Tucson are generally ground squirrels, including Harris’ antelope squirrels, round-tailed ground squirrels and rock squirrels. If wildlife feeding in your neighborhood is causing large animals to become bold, please contact your local Game and Fish office.

Sierra pines has a herd, so does linden. And yes Bill theres even some not far from your place in Greer. Probably a mile or 2 east, down in the ditch by south fork. Ive killed one off the rim road a few years ago with an archery tag..

They always seem fatter up in the trees for some reason???

Good post Coach, you tell um!!!!

Ron

seen a couple herds on top of Juniper Mesa and in the elk country of Unit 8.......

I'd fatten them up with corn then stick one in the freezer.....