Sign in to follow this  
5yearcoueshunter

First Barbary!

My Dad and I just got back yesterday from our last chance to go Barbary hunting this season. This was both our 2nd tag we've ever had. The first year we saw 2 sheep between us (Ewe and lamb) after 7 days of hunting. Needless to say we didn't fill our tags. Last year, we didn't draw. This year we drew out and the hunt definitely started out better. We went for the first 4 days of the season. We both saw sheep and I got in range of a nice Ram but wasn't able to seal the deal. I missed a 330 yard shot that I should have made. I made a perfect 1 mile stalk and slipped in without the Ram knowing I was there. I had a steady rest off the tripod and he gave me a perfect broadside shot. Well, for whatever reason I missed. Ever since then, I been chomping at the bit to go back down and see if I could get another chance.

I took off Thursday, Friday and Monday so that I would have a good 4-5 days to hunt. We didn't leave too early on Thursday, but got camp set up by about 2:00 pm. We knew we didn't have much time to hunt that afternoon, but thought we would give it a try anyway. I dropped my Dad off at one location, and I went further down the road and parked to start hiking to another location. I knew I wouldn't be able to get to the place where I missed the Ram because it was a little over 2 miles away. But I thought I would just go in that general direction and glass some other hills and canyons. I really didn't have a lot of hope because from my limited experience and from what other Barbary hunters always told me, you really need to get off the beaten track to find these critters. Well, to my surprise I wasn't even 1/2 mile from the truck when I spotted a lone sheep feeding on some cholla cactus. I could tell it was a Ram, but really didn't try to judge how big. I was just looking to get my first Barbary. I quickly ranged him and he was 293 yards. I got set up and really took my time, making sure I was aiming at the correct spot and doing all the shooting fundamentals correctly. When I pulled the trigger, the sheep dropped in his tracks! I was so excited! I felt like a kid again getting my first big game animal. I quickly got to my sheep to find out it was a very nice Ram! He measured a little over 26 inches on each side with around 11 1/2 inch bases. I couldn't believe I just got my first sheep and a good Ram to boot. I KNOW I got extremely lucky on this guy and feel so fortunate to get him, especially that close to the truck. I was acutally able to get him back to the truck whole. Which was cool, because we got to hang him up in camp and weigh him. He field dressed 115 pounds. I was a little surprised he didn't weigh more for being a good Ram. I'm thinking he's actually still relatively young. My Dad hunted the rest of the trip, but wasn't able to get one. He was able to spot a small group feeding about an hour before dark, but wasn't able to get close enough. We couldn't locate them the next morning either. He still had a great time and was just really happy that I got my first Barbary and really the first sheep anybody in our family or hunting party has gotten. Here are the pics!

P2160210.jpg

P2160204.jpg

P2160200.jpg

P2160211.jpg

P2160213.jpg

A couple Muleys through the Binos.

P2010192.jpg

Thanks guys!

Congratulations on your ram. :)

TJ

Way to go on sealing the deal on a tough hunt.

Congratulations!

Even better he was so close to the truck. Way better than packing out any day!

Congratulations! That is a nice ram.

Derek