Sign in to follow this  
firstcoueswas80

Left over javelina fun

I havent hunted pigs in a few years, never really have the time come archery season to chase them. I got the invite from my buddy Matt and decided it sounded like fun. Put in the paper work at work and had a 4 day weekend. Thursday night was bad... I was so excited to go find a stink pig I could barely sleep!

Friday morning we head out there to where I shot the 2x4 buck a few years ago and dont find any pigs. Now, I cant normally find pigs to save my life, but I was on fire this weekend... Friday early evening, I glass up 3 pigs going over into a cut who stayed on top of the ridge just a little too long. There was a road that cut up above them so we took my truck and Matts Ranger and stopped about 200 yards shy of where we thought we needed to be. As we are walking to the point we picked out, I stop and look down into the draw and ask my buddy Mark "Is that a pig?" He says YEP! 152 yards. I hit the ground, bipod out and Matt and Steve come running up to where I am. I put them in the area and shoot my pig. .257 wby and 100 ttsx and she made it about 40 yards, (surprised the crap out of me that she even moved again.)

I could only see the pig I shot, but after the shot about 12 more pigs ran out of the cut. Matt didnt get a good shot off, and Steve made a great shot at 318 yards, folding his pig on the spot. Opening evening and we have two pigs down! Mine, a great big old sow we guessed 55-60 pounds or so (just a guess, but all 4 of us lifted her up, had a weight in our head and said them without any discussion.) Steves was a slightly smaller, old sow too, probably 50ish pounds. That is the first animal I have ever killed on opening day, its releaving killing that early in the hunt!

The next morning, we had some miscommunication on where we were going, my buddy Mark and I headed to the shindagger hill where we had been the morning before, Matt and Steve went to where we killed the night before. They found the pigs, but didnt kill one.

That evening we were in the same spot, but didnt find them so we moved back to where Steve and I shot ours from. I glassed the first pig out feeding about 5 feet from where Steves pig died. Matt gets behind my .257 wby, takes two practice shots then drops a BIG old stinky boar on the spot. We all agree he is probably 65 or so pounds, just a big ole stink SOB!

Was a very fun hunt, and I will be there next year too!

IMG_0543.jpg

IMG_0552.jpg

Way to go Casey.

We took Dad out yesterday and found the piggies a mile out.

We closed the distance and never found them again.

We saw more deer in this area than I have ever seen. It was pretty awesome to see that.

Congrats again.

You should be getting here soon shouldn't you?

Yeah, I graduate tomorrow, and report on the 5th.