almost

What weight arrow/broad head for elk?

Wondering what you all are using arrow wise for elk. I shoot a 29" 70lbs bow. I used an easton flatline(30") with 100grn g5 montec for deer but not sure its the best choice for elk. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cody

i would keep it for elk.mine is 400gr axis w/slick trick mags 100gr or g5 striker 100gr. 28in/70lbs. but to me upgrades are always fun to play with!??

My family and I have killed several bulls and cows over the years, all with the Swhacker broadhead. My set-up is a 410 grain arrow at 29" total weight, with the 100 grain head on it. Honestly, what ever you have confidence in and you top that with good shot placement will put an elk on the ground. good luck!

Currently, I can't think of a worse arrow on the market than the easton flatline - especially for elk. I've killed elk with several different set ups and my favorite is easton FMJ with a 50gr brass insert and a 100 gr NAP Hellrazor.

Though I will disagree about the flatline being the worst arrow on the market, I will agree that its far from the best elk arrow. I go to a heavier arrow with a fixed blade broadhead. Not a fan of mechanical broadheads for elk!

I would definitly go with a heavier arrow. I shoot 424 grain Easton Axis and slick tricks with 70 lbs and 29" draw.

Though I will disagree about the flatline being the worst arrow on the market, I will agree that its far from the best elk arrow. I go to a heavier arrow with a fixed blade broadhead. Not a fan of mechanical broadheads for elk!

You should give the Swhacker a try, it was designed for Elk.

Wondering what you all are using arrow wise for elk. I shoot a 29" 70lbs bow. I used an easton flatline(30") with 100grn g5 montec for deer but not sure its the best choice for elk. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks, Cody

for elk, most "experts" (whatever that means....) recommend an arrow with a total weight over 440 grains.... please keep in mind weight and spine are two completely different things an Easton 400 arrow refers to the SPINE of the arrow and NOT the weight. The spine of the arrow is based on draw length and bow poundage (draw weight).

Based on the info you provided, the Easton Flatline with Blazer vanes, Easton nock tipped with a 100 grain broadhead weighs in at 367 grains... which in my opinion is WAY TOO LITE for elk. I would recommend changing to the Easton Axis 300 (spine...based on your draw length and arrow length) with your G5 that the total weight of that setup is 459 grains.

If you like reply with you exact setup, bow, poundage and draw length and vanes being used and I can put your setup into the Archer's Advantage program and provide a list of arrows it recommends with the correct spine and total weight.

Good luck.

I wouldn't let the fact that you're hunting elk change too much if you have a setup for you that works. Yes, they are a heavier animal, and yes, you will see a ton of info on the web about Kinetic Energy, and heavier arrows and broadheads for elk.

The simple answer is that a well placed shot with a quality arrow and broadhead will do the job, so find what you shoot accurately and use it. If you hit heavy bone, 100 grain vs 75 probably won't make the difference between finding a poorly hit elk or not.

Thanks for all the input guys, my flatlines performed flawlessly and made complete pass throughs both shots on my deer and I plan on using them again for deer in 2013. I know my arrow is too light for elk just wanted to see what you all are using, have been leaning towards the fmj we'll see. I refuse to buy mechanical broad heads, just too much to go wrong at the worse time "merphys law" which is why I like the montec,nothing you can do to screw it up, no blades to replace one solid piece and they fly true. Any other fixed blade one piece construction broadheads you guys can recommend? Going to see if G5 makes the montec in 120Grn. I'm thinking the 340 FMJ with 2" feathers and a 120 grn broadhead. Hopefully I will even have a reason to worry about this stuff, I guess we'll all find out in a few weeks! Good luck to all and thanks for the help.

The simple answer is that a well placed shot with a quality arrow and broadhead will do the job, so find what you shoot accurately and use it. If you hit heavy bone, 100 grain vs 75 probably won't make the difference between finding a poorly hit elk or not.

This is like saying well placed 50 grain bullet from a 22-250 would kill and elk...which it would and the only thing to worry about is shot placement...but as we know there are tons of variables when the moment of truth arises. If your hunting a specific animal, you should tune your gear for it...

100 vs 75 is only a difference of 25 grains, but a difference of 100 grains is substantial.

The bottom line is like Almost said, the Easton Flatlines are not an arrow to plan an elk hunt around.

I shoot FMJ 340's at 28" with 2" blazers. They weigh 11.3gpi. I shoot 125 gr. rage crossbow mechanicals. I shot my bull this year at 19 yards through the front edge of the shoulder blade and it passed all the way through to the opposite side shoulder. Say what you want about mechanicals, I LOVE the rage crossbow heads. The blades won't accidentally deploy, they fly incredible, and they are tough. If I could get fixed heads to shoot as good I would shoot them, however I can't, so I go with the next best thing. That being said, the only two broadheads I've ever seen break in an animal were a 90gr 4 blade muzzy and a 100gr. montec G5, take that for what its worth, but both snapped in half after only hitting rib. i have no idea how, just anecdotal evidence. I have yet to have a problem with rages after shoooting a bunch of critters with them, I'll stick with what works for me! Go heavy if you have any doubt. The way I look at it, you need to know the exact yardage before you shoot no matter what, Flatlines will get your 50 and 60 pin a bit closer together, but wont save you if you don't know the exact yardage.

Forgot to add, I shoot this same set up at everything I bowhunt, I like to keep it simple I guess, is it a little to much weight for deer? Probably, but it gives me an edge if I have to take a quartering on shot or any one of a million bad things happen during the shot.