With the lengthening of the October hunts from 4 to 6 days, I think many will consider these over the November hunts because of a 50% longer season than before and being the first hunt at possibly less disturbed deer.

How many of you will now consider an October hunt for one of your first two choices that have not done so before? The possibility exists for me. Generally, I have chosen a December then Nov hunt.

Doug~RR

RR

You read my mind. I have been pondering the same scenarios for weeks. I generally fill out my applications with a Dec. 1st choice and a Nov. 2nd but now I am not so sure. I did an interesting little experiment when the recommendations first were available online. I took calendars and for several individual units marked all the big-game hunts in each unit between Aug. and Dec. of 2006. As recommended, many of these units have less than 2 straight weeks at a time to rest (no big-game hunts going on not including lion hunting) during this Aug-Dec period. Not to mention almost all units where WT tags are issued would have Oct/Nov Mule deer, white-tail, and javelina hunts all going on at the same time. By Nov in some of these units I think the WT might be suffering from Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder! Just my 2 cents.

I think the oct. hunt in the central units is going to be a lot of peoples first and second choices, going from 300 to 50 will diminish the odds of getting drawn considerably for the late hunts. I will probably have one of the oct. hunts as my first or second choice though. Good Luck to all who apply

Hey Doug:

I had thought about this myself as well, as I usually put in for the October hunt.

My opinion is that it will not change it that much. I'm thinking that most 'average joe' hunters (like me...) generally hunt the weekends or long weekends, so adding a couple of more days to the hunt in the middle of the week won't matter much to most. I could be wrong, but that's my $.02.....

Tis a fun time of year when we get to start strategizing & planning for the draws. Fall will be here before we know it! ;)

S.

:)

Not taking long to mend is it?

The Oct hunts will be really good for anyone who will put the effort into it.

Some of the biggest bucks ever have been takin in Oct/Nov because they were scouted early and they haven't started running around pre-rut yet. They can sometimes be re-found.

I started scouting with this in mind when I first heard the proposals.

Watch: there will now be more tags, but the overall percentage of getting drawn won't get any better.

The amount of tags can never keep up with the state's population growth.

But really, I think the guys that were up in emotional arms should keep putting in for Dec. because Oct is too hot, there will be too many people in the field, Oct. can't possibly provide a quality hunt, etc., etc.

You guys should put your money where your mouth was.

Mike

But really, I think the guys that were up in emotional arms should keep putting in for Dec. because Oct is too hot, there will be too many people in the field, Oct. can't possibly provide a quality hunt, etc., etc.

You guys should put your money where your mouth was.

Mike

Don't worry, I will.

I hope you draw your tag.

Guest Ernesto C

Me too, I'm being thinking on that lately. I know for some the October hunt will be more atractive now. More time to hunt and more rattlersnakes too. For sure no more left over permits.

The only time time I hunted in October was because I got drawn on my 3rd choice,it was a very challengin hunt........really hot,really tough conditions but after 4 rattlersnakes,finallly the laaast day it paid off. This year,my last 3 choices will be October hunts again like always.By the way....God bless every one on this coming draw.

Ernesto C.

Responsible hunters obey and get familiar with hunting laws.

All they gained by moving the tags from dec. to oct. in unit 21 is 100 tags, 350 in oct. and 50 in dec., I will ask again where is the quality in that, 300 tags in a very large unit during the rut, and with the temperatures way down. I don't think 350 will be overcrowded and it won't be a bad hunt, but if I had my choice it would be 300 in dec., that is my opinion, but I am not a commissioner so my opinion don't matter. Applying for and oct. hunt as a first or srcond choice for some people will now be a necessity since the odds for the dec. hunt will be minimal. As I have said before if we don't like it we need to get together next year to change it, not a survey, e-mails, or letters, we need people there in numbers, then we have a shot to get what we want, otherwise we have to accept what we are given.

Yep, the days of putting an October hunt has your 3rd or 4th choice are probably over.

Any rule change is bound to run for 3 seasons to determine its effectiveness before reverting re-adjusting.

Commission order #7734-1111 ( to be approved ... errr voted on... in the next meeting)

They will then lay that line on anyone who tries to push the issue back to a sensible balance.

They got us by the short hair and they know it!

All they gained by moving the tags from dec. to oct. in unit 21 is 100 tags, 350 in oct. and 50 in dec., I will ask again where is the quality in that, 300 tags in a very large unit during the rut, and with the temperatures way down. I don't think 350 will be overcrowded and it won't be a bad hunt, but if I had my choice it would be 300 in dec., that is my opinion, but I am not a commissioner so my opinion don't matter. Applying for and oct. hunt as a first or srcond choice for some people will now be a necessity since the odds for the dec. hunt will be minimal. As I have said before if we don't like it we need to get together next year to change it, not a survey, e-mails, or letters, we need people there in numbers, then we have a shot to get what we want, otherwise we have to accept what we are given.

Keith don't forget that those 350 WT hunters in Oct. in 21 will now be sharing that hunt with several hundred javelina hunters and Muley hunters. It's closer to a thousand hunters in 21 in October. I've hunted 21 a lot and a thousand hunters at a time is about 600-700 too many, especially for the next few years while the unit recovers from the fire.

Lee

You guys are scaring me. October sucks, please don't give in to the man. If everyone puts in for october then G+F will say to themselves " see we were right when we screwed up coues hunting." Besides I hunt October every year and it is just awful.Nothing but drunks and endless ATV traffic. If everyone puts in for October then drawing a tag will not be a sure thing for me. Please don't mess up my plans. Put in for December and November. Thats when the bigboys come out.

Bob

Lee I think the muley hunt is in nov. in 21, I hope, and the fall javelina tags are supposed to be down south.

As far as drunks and endless atv traffic in oct., if the game and fish had been trying to get more people hunting all they had to do was offer a twelve pack to whoever was drawn for the southern units in oct. and there would never have been any leftover tags or 100% odds. ;)

its typical now we has mule deer tags and whitetail tags now javalina all in opening weekend what a joke.

i am guilty i "have"to get of my butt and attend these meetings or i/we have no business complaining i am guilty but this will change.