Sign in to follow this  
duckbuster870

Javelina extraveganza

This is my second straight year hunting Arizona for Javelina during archery season. Since I'm from Montana I don't get to scout so i just look at google earth and wing it. I love Arizona in January! Had a little luck and killed a fatty sow on opening day. Called a whole herd in! Wasn't able to get my old man close enough so were thinking about trying rifle next year. This is a great site full of excellent information so I thought i would join up!

post-8219-0-99029600-1332123423_thumb.jpg

post-8219-0-14623200-1332123507_thumb.jpg

good work! Javelina hunting can drive you mad glassing and glassing, and somedays there they are! Congrats! What part of MT are you from? I'm from ND and spend a lot of time hunting in MT.

That's awesome, isn't hunting in AZ during the month of Jan great...bet you would not be wearing a short sleve shirt in Montana :lol:

The rifle hunts are great, but I believe there is a greater concentration of hunters, a lot of times hunting Javi has more to do with patience and anticipation of where the herd is going and getting there before they do. Since the archery hunt is the entire month, there may be less pressure in a given week.... food for thought.

Yotebuster I'm a guide at Dome Mountain Ranch in Paradise Valley. 1 hour south of Bozeman. I'm there 9 months out of the year and playing down south in the winter! Yeah it is really nice to get out of Montana in the dead of winter! Thanks for info. I like to hike way away from roads too so maybe that will be advantageous during rifle season!

Hey Duckbuster nice wolf! Thanks for your contributing to elk conservation in the mountain west by eliminating one of those elk eating machines! As a former resident of ID and a lifetime license holder in that state I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

• Like 1

Great pics and congrats on the pig! Welcome to the site as well, JIM>

Congratulations on your second pig and welcome to CWT.com. You have landed on the best hunting site available in AZ. Thanks for sharing your story and pic. I'm going to make it one of these days to Montana before they bury me under. :)

TJ

Some more food for thought...the HAM(handgun, archery, muzzleloader) season is a good compromise because the effective range of handguns can be up to 100 yards and my muzzleloader is good out to 200 yards. There are usually less tags (hunters) for this season. My friends have shot javelina at 10 yards with a 10mm, 100+ yards with a TC contender handgun in .223, and my brother shot a pig at 220 yards with a TC Omega.

Thanks all! I love Arizona and hope to keep hunting the winters down there too. I've been fascinated with Javelina for years pretty cool to get to come down and hunt them. Thanks for the info Trophyhnter and you bet Flatlander! Always doing my part to help out the ungulates. Can't wait to get back to the ranch and get back to work on!