CouesWhitetail

Predator Control funded in Utah

I thought this was very interesting....do you think AZ should do something like this predator control program? Do you think there is any chance it could be supported by the general public?

here are a couple articles about it:

Utah governor signs bills to fund coyote killings

Programs aim to increase the killing of predators in order to restore deer herds.

By Tom Harvey

| The Salt Lake Tribune

First Published Mar 17 2012 04:08 pm • Last Updated Mar 18 2012 01:19 pm

Gov. Gary Herbert signed two bills on Saturday that take aim at coyotes by funding programs to step up the killing of the predators in an attempt to increase the population of mule deer and protect livestock.

The governor used the backdrop of bow and arrow maker Hoyt Archery west of the Salt Lake City International Airport and a friendly crowd of employees and hunters to sign SB245 and SB87. The House and Senate overwhelmingly approved the bills during the recently concluded general session of the Utah Legislature.

The Mule Deer Protection Act, SB245, appropriated $500,000 to the Division of Wildlife Resources to establish programs to reduce the coyote population in areas where the mule deer herds have suffered significant population losses over the past few decades. SB87 imposes a $5 fee on big-game hunting permits to go toward predator-control programs.

Herbert touted the measures as important for Utah’s economic growth, citing hunting, fishing and wildlife watching as a $2.3 billion part of the state’s economy.

"What we’re talking about today is really important for our economy going forward," he told the crowd that gave him a standing ovation.

Bob Friel, a hunter from Mapleton who attended the signing ceremony, said the bills were needed to help bring back the state’s mule deer population, which would attract more hunters and boost Utah’s economy. More deer mean more licenses sold and more hunters spending money on things like meals at restaurants, he said.

"This is an economic issue for the state of Utah," Friel said.

The Humane Society of Utah had opposed the bills. Director Gene Baierschmidt said Saturday another part of the legislation, raising the bounty from $20 to $50 for bringing in a pair of coyote ears, is a poor method of reducing predator populations.

"We think it’s ridiculous to send the public out there to do that," he said. "For example, if someone is living in St. George and they go and they bring back a bunch of ears of coyotes, there might not even be a problem in that area."

Jay Banta of Torrey, a hunter, biologist and former federal wildlife manager, said the "misnamed ‘Mule Deer Protection Act’ is simply throwing money at a solution for a reduced deer herd that won’t work."

--------------------------------------

Salt Lake City, Utah – March 18, 2012 – Utah Governor Gary Herbert signed two pieces of legislation into law that will bring millions to the rescue of struggling mule deer herds in the Beehive state.

Gov. Herbert’s official support means that Utah coyote control funding will increase by $1.25 million a year. $500,000 comes from a $5 license fee increase, and $750,000 comes from general sales tax revenue from the state of Utah. In total, now nearly $2 million annually will be invested to control coyotes and rebuild deer herds. The governor has studied the issues surrounding why Utah’s mule deer herds are struggling at near all-time lows. SFW has worked closely with the governor and wildlife officials to identify the problems and what can be done to ease pressure on deer.

“Data has shown that coyote predation is a major negative contributor to Utah’s deer survival,” according to SFW President Byron Bateman. “Our deer numbers are dwindling despite tens of millions of dollars and thousands of volunteer hours to protect winter habitat, fence highways and improve conditions for Utah’s deer. This is some of the most important legislation related to deer management that Utah has seen in many years. We are very optimistic it will have a positive impact over time for mule deer recovery.”

The event was held at Hoyt Archery and Easton Technical new production facility in Salt Lake City. The world’s leader in Archery equipment is a strong supporter of SFW and mule deer recovery effortd. On hand at the signing event was state Senator Ralph Okerlund, state Senator David Hinkins, and House of Representative Kay McKiff, all leading legislative sponsors. SFW and the governor also thanked Senators Allen Christensen and Margaret Dayton and Representatives Mike Noel as well. Randy and Coni Brooks, major SFW sponsors, and many SFW volunteers and chapter leaders were on hand with several Hoyt employees.

The Utah Division of Wildlife will be working with sportsmen and the Department of Agriculture to get the most bang for the buck on this coyote control program. It will be centered around rural, private contractors who will be compensated on performance-based programs, and augmenting the current aerial gunning and local county coyote bounty programs.

An interesting question Amanda! I wonder how significant the coyote predation really is? It does prove that people in government do understand how much we contribute to the economy especially in these rural area’s. The first thing that jumps into my mind is wow, 50 bucks a yote is pretty good money, there will probably be people out there making their living at it, but on the other hand if this really is a problem with the deer population and they have in their minds that the coyote’s need dispensing, then 50 bucks a head is probably a lot cheaper than having government employees trying to do it. Hard to quantify if there will be a return on investment, and it will probably take 5 to 10 years to answer the question. I guess if the employment situation gets too bad here in AZ we can all move to Utah…I like it there anyway J

OK, I'm just an average Joe so I guess it's to be expected that I'm confused and don't understand, but if I believe AZSFW, since Peay started the Expo sale of tags in UT the game is doing so well they should not need this (wink, wink). Wasn't predator control part of their pitch for the tags there? What the heck is that in the article about declining deer herds? According to the stats from AZSFW, UT is a model of expanding herds. Seems someone is not quite telling the whole story. Oh, I forgot. Its just that I'm too stupid to understand.

Bruce

• Like 1

I have been discussing bounties on coyotes with friends and believe there is a possible good bang for your buck on this. Money with direct results. I actually mentioned this idea to Representative Peggy Judd in my response to her and had my draft saved when I jumped over here and saw this. I went back, posted this link on my response finished my email and sent it off.

OK, I'm just an average Joe so I guess it's to be expected that I'm confused and don't understand, but if I believe AZSFW, since Peay started the Expo sale of tags in UT the game is doing so well they should not need this (wink, wink). Wasn't predator control part of their pitch for the tags there? What the heck is that in the article about declining deer herds? According to the stats from AZSFW, UT is a model of expanding herds. Seems someone is not quite telling the whole story. Oh, I forgot. Its just that I'm too stupid to understand.

Bruce

Every other species in Utah is absolutely kicking the Arizona figures in the backside... except mule deer. Therefore, the big financial commitment to go after the yotes. They are very proactive there... while in AZ, we have been way too concerned about PR... The numbers of tags that Utah offers now compared to 15 years ago is the exact opposite of AZ... their numbers are going up... while ours are either stagnant or declining...

I have read several different articles stating that 75% of coyotes would have to be removed annually to cause a decrease in their general population. While a well intentioned idea, I'm not sure how effective something like this would be. I imagine once a coyote is called in and shot at, the chances of getting another shot at it are slim to none. Without trapping, coyote management becomes a tough proposition.

the specific allocation of money towards predator control will definitely help deer/antelope/elk. it sure won't hurt. fawn survival is a key component that drives our herd populations. I am totally for setting monies aside for lion/coyote bounty.....allen....

I've also heard the 75% figure for coyote reductions to be helpful.

Another issue is timing. Coyotes do the most damage to deer and antelope May through July when fawns are being born and just getting on their legs. Here in southern Arizona, ranchers get the most bang for their buck by hiring aerial shooters in March when calves are being born. I've heard it said that the ranchers' efforts don't provide much benefit to deer or antelope because by the time the fawns are dropping, other coyotes have migrated into the area.

In-migration of predators is a factor the Three-Bar study didn't reckon with. To be effective you'd have to do it over a wide area or else concentrate it heavily during May-July. Also, there are some years when there's almost no recruitment due to winter drought. It doesn't do much good to shoot coyotes if does aren't dropping fawns. I wonder if they'll suspend the bounty in Utah if they get a dry winter and spring.

the specific allocation of money towards predator control will definitely help deer/antelope/elk. it sure won't hurt. fawn survival is a key component that drives our herd populations. I am totally for setting monies aside for lion/coyote bounty.....allen....

you are falling into their trap.

We need to sell tags to millionairs or the coyotes and lions will eat all the deer and then they will eat your children.

That will be their counter to your statement, in my opinion.

Targeted predator control would be the key of course. Hit the predators before fawn drop to give the fawns a better chance at survival. It has helped antelope quite a lot where I have seen it done.

you are falling into their trap.

We need to sell tags to millionairs or the coyotes and lions will eat all the deer and then they will eat your children.

That will be their counter to your statement, in my opinion.

+1000

desertbull & javihunter.........I seriously can't believe you both are accussing me of falling into 'their trap,. why use your fingers without thinking? predator control has always been a sound strategy. long long before azsfw. my point is I have always believed that putting money into killing predators is a good thing.........

I was not accusing you. I'm just stating that predator control is the main way SFW draws the unsuspecting into their fold. They wail and moan about wolves, then oppose legislation that would delist them. They are like cancer researchers that scam money off of well meaning people, all the while hoping like **** that there is never a cure for cancer.

We know you are not one of "them". :D