Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Representative Peggy Judd District 25

Hi Justin,

I apologize. I must have missed that. I wasn't expecting you to ask. So many of my letters are just telling me their side of the issue.

I am happy to be receiving information and opinions, but appreciate the chance to tell you what I think too.

I do not see Arizona Sportsmen for Wildlife as the big Ogre they are made out to be. I truly feel that they are embracing an opportunity here, with an entrepreneurial spirit that is valid and genuine. I realize that the expo they would set up would be a business venture for them and their subsidiary wildlife organizations (17 of them, I believe), and like the Utah example everyone is giving, would be a fundraiser for the re-introduction and betterment of wildlife that are hunted in AZ.

AZ game numbers are depleting and therefore the available tags are depleting as well. The problems stem from a variety of things, from activists protecting predators to forest roads being shut down. The number of tags, that the expo will purchase will only be 54. I keep hearing that it is a very large number. These tags would actually be easier to access through the expo than through the regular draw procedures (even when there is a priority status). I have only heard this and have no official documentation, but it makes sense. I could get numbers on this if you would like. I am hearing the Utah's expo is really not creating a better hunting environment in Utah, but I have been given some statistics that tell otherwise. I would be happy to scan and send these to you. A trend that is depicted in the charts I have is that: Until the Early 2000s (when the expo in Utah began) Utah's big game across the board, was depleting at approx. the same rate at Arizona's. In the last 10 years, Arizona continues to give out less tags and less harvest is made each year, while in the same 10 years Utah has had a steady and even astonishing increase in available game and number of tags given. These are graphs with no reference.. so I am currently trying to get the references for this information.

In a few words, it doesn't look all that bad to me. I am willing to do about anything to increase the experience and availability of big game hunting in our state and am looking for other solutions that even compare to Utah's success story. People keep saying they have good ideas to accomplish this battle we must fight against the environmentalists and also just the general good management of our big game. This is the only good (or bad to some), idea I have seen. If you come up with something, or hear of someone with an idea. I would be happy to have that information.

I still do appreciate your concern and your opposition at this time. I would also like to note. It seems that there are a lot of regular, everyday hunters in favor of this bill also. It is an interesting debate, but I am not sure time will be on this legislations side. We are very near the end of session. It may have to be a discussion for another day.

Sincerely,

Representative Peggy Judd

Arizona House of Representatives, District 25

1700 W. Washington, Suite H

Phoenix, AZ 85007

602-926-5836

I exchanged several emails with her when this first started. I think she had her mind already made up before she was contacted by any constituents. I sent her several links and arguments against this bill but was sure that it was not going to do any good. It would appear I was right. It's too bad she has taken this stance.

I vote, my family votes, my friends vote and we have long memories.

A few other facts for her from Utah:

Before SFW Utah had almost 300,000 deer hunters, they now have approximately 85,000 deer hunters. Their numbers of limited entry tags have gone up but at the cost of the over the counter tags.

The other point to the system in Utah is that they kept the age objectives very high on the LE units and about the same time as the expo they lowered the age objectives allowing more tags. The thing she should ask is for hard numbers from Utah as to how much money has been raised from the expo tags FOR wildlife? Nobody else can get this maybe she can. Make sure they don’t send a smoke screen and include the conservation tags (90% required to be given back). That is a common tactic from Utah SFW is to combine conservation and convention tags and state they raised X number of dollars. Try and get the actual numbers from them for the expo and you will hear crickets.

She said “The number of tags, that the expo will purchase will only be 54. I keep hearing that it is a very large number.” It is my understanding that this is over a 100% increase. That is a big number. Also 0% required to be given back is a major issue.

She also said “These tags would actually be easier to access through the expo than through the regular draw procedures (even when there is a priority status). I have only heard this and have no official documentation, but it makes sense.” It is true that for some people it would be easy to access these tags (not easier). However the people who live a long distance from the expo it will be a major problem to access the tags. They would be required to drive hundreds of miles to apply for a tag. Not very easy for them.

She then says “I am hearing the Utah's expo is really not creating a better hunting environment in Utah, but I have been given some statistics that tell otherwise.” Make no mistake, Utah hunting has gotten much better for a VERY select FEW. The average person in Utah will draw one LE elk or LE deer tag in their life, If they started applying a long time ago they will also have a shot a one OIL tag. She can look at any number of odds sites to see that the Utah system has negatively affected the average hunter.

The Utah system is geared towards trophy hunting and nothing more. They piss all over the average Joes to make the trophy hunting the best for the conservation tags. Hope and pray that AZ does not follow Utah.

please send this information to her and call her !!! as a non resident it may help influence her opinons - call untill you get her

hey i can make cool pie charts too - kinda think we gave them that idea! since its a new tactic

THIS WAS MY RESPONSE

Hopefully it's not too bad from an average joe who cares.

Representative Judd,

I am very disappointed in your position on HB 2072.

First off, the AZSFW has only recently become the "Big Ogre" as you put it. AZ critter groups that support this org are leaving and withdrawing their support and also taking a postion to oppose HB 2072.

To say "only" 54 tags will be auctioned and that they will know become more accessible is outrageous right on its face.

First off, the AZ public applies for these (some of the most coveted of all big game tags AZ has to offer, the cream of the crop) for years and years just to draw one. My friend Hank Brundage is on his 17th year without an AZ Elk tag (has never had an AZ elk tag) because he only applies for the best hunts. More accessible for who? Only someone with a deep pockets will even be able to touch these tags new auction tags

I'm am truly sorry, but your knowledge on the issue at hand is skewed and incorrect.

I know this bill addresses locked gates. So upon awarding the AZSFW these best of the best tags to auction to the highest bidder, what will we achieve?

Example 1

You and your neighbor are both ranchers with massive tracts of land. You leave your gates open and allow trespass and hunting on your property, however you fellow rancher and neighbor does not, he has no trespassing signs and no hunting signs.

Now, with the passage of HB 2072 or something like it, the AZSFW will to come to hunter's rescue and pay your neighbor to unlock his gate during the hunting seasons. Sounds good right? How on earth does common sense not kick in and everyone draw up the conclusion that now everyone will start locking their gates so they too can't get paid for trespass. This is a joke! The only thing your going to get from paying people to unlock access or to trespass on their land is more LOCKED GATES!

I have an idea, since WE the taxpayers are subsidizing probably every rancher in the state who graze X amount of cattle per sq mile on their land. Why don't we just demand an open gate policy policy for licensed hunters and fisherman if they want to have the taxpayer assist with their tax liabilities. Now that's simple and a great incentive for everyone without privatizing wildlife and auctioning off tags to the affluent.

Now lets talk predators, a law was just recently passed to limit the mountain lion season in AZ where it used to be all year. Where was AZSFW on this? This is a play by the greenies as you put it. Yes, I agree

I believe a simpler method which would consist of a bounty for coyote hides making it a profitable market to harvest them, this would be all the incentive hunters need to go out and predator hunt. The hides aren't worth enough in the current market so these should be bought at a higher price and resold at a loss on the open market by the organization chosen. I know that is a pretty stupid business model, but the money spent would be far less and provide far better results than other options.

You speak of Utah, well this confirms what I have said above and has nothing to do with privatizing big game tags.

Please read link below

UTAH PASSES NEW BOUNTY LAW ON COYOTES APPROVED BY THE DNR

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=31752&pid=300075&st=0entry300075

The Game and Fish department already does a fine job offering lots of youth camps and opportunities to beginners in the field. I will be taking my two sons to the 4A/4B youth turkey hunting camp put on this year.

I would hope you at least pay attention to the opposing side of HB 2072, when I tell you that everyone I know and speak to are adamantly opposed, it is the truth.

Please, I ask to do more research on the issue, if nothing else make sure it doesn't pass this year so EVERYONE can gather the facts.

You say that average sportsman are also for it, please take a look and one of the most active hunting forums where most of the members are from AZ and they have a section with nothing but political topics and right now it is HOT with HB 2072 topics!

http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showforum=20

Please take the time to read up on the links I have provided to you.

Very, very concerned citizen taking a time out from his life, his family to make sure this doesn't pass.

Thank you for time, I look forward to speaking with you in the future.

Thanks,

Justin Leitner

Canyon Drywall Inc.

8920 N. Mocha Place

Tucson, Az 85743

Cell (520)240-8796

E-mail Canyondrywall@msn.com

• Like 2

"Seems" is a really weak word. What a flippin joke that is. The other side is working really hard right now.

This is a second response I received tonight from Representative Peggy Judd for district 25

I appreciate her willingness to come on the CWT political discussion part of the forum and do some research of her own, and I think she will do so.

Wow, I will take some time to read up on this and do the research. In all fairness, I am listening. I hope you are not very angry with me. You asked what my thoughts were.

Please don’t be too harsh… these game organizations and hunter clubs are all new to me. We just go out in small family groups and hunt deer.

Have a nice weekend,

Rep Peggy Judd

This is a second response I received tonight from Representative Peggy Judd for district 25

I appreciate her willingness to come on the CWT political discussion part of the forum and do some research of her own, and I think she will do so.

Wow, I will take some time to read up on this and do the research. In all fairness, I am listening. I hope you are not very angry with me. You asked what my thoughts were.

Please dont be too harsh… these game organizations and hunter clubs are all new to me. We just go out in small family groups and hunt deer.

Have a nice weekend,

Rep Peggy Judd

WOW, I'm impressed. That is one conscientious representative!

Good for Ms. Judd!

Bruce

Yes, good for her to take the time and hopefully she will make an informed decision.

I too was impressed with her willingness to research and learn when I first contacted her but she has had plenty of time to do so. She knew about this thing when I first emailed her. I am hoping I am wrong but I suspect she already has her mind made up.

Hopefully she can see how this really affects us. I wonder how many representatives actually do their homework on things.

Here is a note she sent to Chuck Decker, Chuck had given here some info and asked for a meeting.

"I would be happy to meet with you. I can tell you, I have been having a few good conversations on this, and am beginning to get some of the info you mentioned already.

Please make an appointment for next Monday if you can. I will be busy with family tomorrow. Sorry."

Rep Judd