Sign in to follow this  
billrquimby

new zealand elk

This bull was taken by an Australian in New Zealand recently. He said the antlers on his "wap" (his name for wapiti) had an SCI score of 422.

Bill Quimby

post-46-0-15616300-1333515763_thumb.jpg

Bill, it must be nice to know people all over the world. You have lived an exciting life and I thank you for sharing some of it here on cwt. That's an awesome picture. :)

TJ

Nice look Wap.

I grew up hunting elk in Wy, they didn't get near as big as the Az elk. I attribute it to them not having to fight the hard winters, looks like the elk in New Zealand are the same, good nutrition and little to no snow produce great racks.

If memory serves me right they were a gift from President Theodore Roosevelt, but I'm not sure if it was to the country of New Zealand or to certain citizens/ranches.

Hey im very offended with you guys using the word "WOP" im Italian and that is not nice i thought this was a politically correct forum. Im gonna have to contact Amanda about this....... LMFAO JUST KIDDING you can call me anything and i wont get offended... one heck of a bull too!!!!!!! WOW

Awesome, are those transplants to that country? I thought they only had the stag there.

Yes, they were released in New Zealand, along with red deer, sika deer, white-tailed deer, fallow deer, moose and sambar. There still are reports of moose sightings on the South Island from time to time, but most hunters believe the moose did not survive. All the other transplants were a success, though. Because red deer and elk are the same species, there are lots of hybrids down there. The bull in the photo does not appear to be a hybrid, judging only by appearance. Hybrids usually have smaller bodies, and "crowns" instead of "whale tails."

Australia introduced a number of deer species at about the same time, including sambar, red deer, hog deer, axis deer, fallow deer, rusa deer, etc., but as far as I know no whitetails or elk transplants were done.

Bill Quimby