Sign in to follow this  
gotcoues

Coyote hunting within city limits

My wife's boss lives inside the city limits where the houses all have decent size parcels and she backs up to an enormous wash.

Problem; Three coyote sightings this week alone on video surveillance. One of which is a coyote sitting on the back wall, dropping in the yard and snatching one of her dogs and hopping the wall with it. For some reason it dropped the pooch when it reached the street and with a steep vet bill, the dog is going to make it.

The property owner has asked if I can help kill some of the coyotes that are living in the wash behind her house.

Any suggestions?

I love to whack one of these suckers with my bow, not sure if I have the time to stand guard though. :ph34r:

I'll bet some low volume calling would bring em right in if they are in the area.

Is trapping on your own property within the city limits legal?

I have heard of people killing them with subsonic .22's. wink.gif If you have never shot them, they pack a whalup out to about 40 or 50 yards and they are quiet enough not to alarm the neighbors. Good luck, but you may not want to post your results, however, I would love to read an informative PM.

while all that sounds like fun no 1 wants to risk their future in hunting in the least bit for a coyote doing what they do naturally.... adapt and survive. call G&F and ask what can be done.

That's all you need to arrow a coyote and he goes running across some coyote feeding antis' yard bloody with an arrow hanging out. Although that would be funny.......

My boss lives in paradise valley and keeps wanting me to come get em' with my bow. while tempting not worth the trouble you could get in.

James

AKA (Buzz Killington)

• Like 1

Well if its inside of the city of phx you can legally hunt them with a bow. Call game and fish they passed that law last year. Guys hunt dove off carfree rd all the time (when in season of course).

Here is a link to the senate bill that authorizes it: http://www.azleg.gov/legtext/50leg/1r/bills/sb1334p.pdf

I'm walking distance from south mtn and there are a ton of dogs in the area. If I read the regs right the metro units are excluded for general firearms, but rim fire and limited weapon is legal. However note 5 states that: "method of take may be further restricted by local govt regulation."

I will double check with phx pd, mcso, and s mtn park to make sure what's legal. Other notes restrict specific areas around the metro areas.

For my purpose I called the phx s mtn park ranger and because it falls within city limits any firearm, even a pellet/BV gun, discharge is illegal. Initially he said U can take a bow but it's a Misdemeanor to leave the trail even to retrieve game. He also said its a misdemeanor not to retrieve game (littering), even a coyote. Essentially they have made it impossible for hunters to utilize the area. They also said that the g&f map show the park as excluded from 47m - I was looking at it from my phone and couldn't clearly see the boundaries... I have a baziilion coyotes right in our neighborhood that are essentially protected. He also admitted that there are 0 deer in the park. The park is managed for the hiker, mtn bike rider, horse rider...not the hunter or wildlife enthusiast. So anyway, call and check with ur city first.