Sign in to follow this  
mrmuley

5B North late bull hunt

Hey guys I got drawn for a late season archery bull tag in 5B North and have heard talk of this being an extremely difficult hunt. I just wanted to go hunting so I decided to go for it anyways but now I am wondering the odds of finding a decent bull to take a shot at. I was wondering if anybody else had this late hunt with either rifle or bow in the past and what their experience was? I live in Flagstaff so I should have plenty of time to scout it out but any general information on decent starting points would be appreciated. Ive heard a lot about to area across from Mormon lake and the canyons off the east side of Anderson mesa looks tempting to me but Im not sure how they pattern this late in the year. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Tyler

If its wet, the top is snot, as you know. If it is dry, I would key on water still. Check the new Coconino NF travel management plan regarding road closures, designated camping areas, and driving off-road to retieve your elk. I would look near the edges of the mesa.

Go look for Antelope (not on the mesa), you'll be surprised what else you might find where you'd least expect em'! :ph34r:

My favorite Elk spots there don't even look like Elk country from a distance. Lots of hidden pockets in that unit, and some accessible only by foot.

Best of luck! There's some bigguns in there ;) JIM>

get up high and glass! the things you can see. wow! i wouldnt mind the late archery hunt. G&F has it nailed down on there unit info page!

If its wet, the top is snot, as you know. If it is dry, I would key on water still. Check the new Coconino NF travel management plan regarding road closures, designated camping areas, and driving off-road to retieve your elk. I would look near the edges of the mesa.

Lot's of road closures in this unit be sure and know what's open and what's closed. !

4. Game retrieval - When an elk has been legally taken

in Game Management Units 6A, 6B, 7E, 7W, and 8, the

individual who legally took the animal may drive or be

driven to the downed elk. Under no circumstances may

a second vehicle be used to retrieve the animal. The

vehicle used to retrieve the elk may be operated off of

designated routes on non-wilderness National Forest

Lands up to one mile from designated routes. Motor

vehicle use off of designated roads is not allowed for

game retrieval for any species other than elk.

Motor vehicle use off of designated roads is not allowed for

game retrieval of any species, including elk, in game

management units 5A, 5BS, 5BN,or 11.

Im actually excited about all the road closures! The best part of the hunt for me is to walk as far as possible away from all human travel and really feel like im in the outdoors. Ive always had a great time packing my elk out on my back even when I was legally allowed to pull right up to it with the truck haha maybe thats cause im still young. So it sounds like the rough canyons are a better bet than the area across from mormon lake at least for starters. Also if anybody else has this unit for any hunts before my hunt and wants an extra pair of eyes let me know!

Go out by the buffalo range

Im not familiar with that area. What portion of the unit is than in?

Thanks for the info guys

Those pockets out by the raymond ranch..... also anderson point is a great vantage point

if it gets down to it and you still dont have a place to hunt let me know. to me the late hunt is just as good as the rut hunt!

I have the early Sept Rut Hunt in that area...with road restrictions for recovery I might need a bigger back pack...good excuse to get one. Good luck with your Late hunt. I agree with if you see a bull shoot it I was on a late hunt with a friend last year saw a few small bulls in a herd and didn't bother with them....ended up eating his tag soup with some shoulda woulda coulda on top. But it was still fun but you can't eat fun:-)

haha thanks ill take your advice on having a quick trigger finger. went out to ashurst lake to do some fishing and then check out some terrain but unfortunately I managed to get a hook halfway through one of my toes and had to go to urgent care to get it removed because pliers weren't cutting it haha

Hey guys season starts tomorrow and im pretty excited! ive been out scouting the last couple days but am yet to see an elk. That snow seemed to make them disappear! hopefully something comes together