Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Transferring tags to family members

I know parents/grandparents can sign over their tags to kids/grandkids with certain stipulations. My two oldest sons drew youth cow tags and both have expressed an interest in giving their tag to their little brother since they have both gotten cow elk before. Does anyone know if siblings can sign their tag over to eachother?

The short answer to your question is no they can't transfer their tags to their siblings. Below is the long answer and what the rules are currently for transferring tags to a junior hunter.

Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) authorizes the transfer of big game tags originally issued to grandparents, parents and legal guardians to their minor grandchildren and/or children. It also authorizes big game tags to be transferred to non-profit organizations for transfer to minors with life threatening illnesses. This statute is permissive in nature rather than restrictive, and the overall intent was to further encourage and facilitate the Department's hunter recruitment and retention goals by getting children into the field.

Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) requires that after the tag is transferred, a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must accompany the child into the field. There is some confusion in regards to whether the statutory intent was that the parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must be the adult that accompanies the child on the hunt. Legislative staff indicates this was not the intent of the legislature and that any parent or legal guardian (or any grandparent if the tag was transferred from a grandparent) should be allowed to accompany the child on the hunt.

I hope this helps.

Kevin Call

HIGH POINT OUTFITTERS.NET

So the parent say mom draws the tag and transfers to the child then Dad can take him hunting?

Interpetation of the law by a game warden could be a problem!

Thanks Kevin, that definately answers my question, although I'm a little bummed. Both brothers would have been happy to give their little brother their tag. No biggie, maybe next year.

Has this been tested in court yet? Or are we waiting for a guinea pig?

I'm not going to be the first guinea pig and test my luck, but I don't mind writing a letter to G&F to see if this could be extended to youth siblings.

Coach , I was referring to the same parent that draws the tag must be the same parent thats in the field with the child!

I just took a side road from your original post based on LVTHNT'S post about the intent of the law.

Believe it or not This is the biggest issue for parents about this

law!

I wish we could get some more feedback on this!

According to what LVTHNT posted it sounds pretty clear that any legal guardian can accompany the jr. hunter - not just the guardian/parent/grandparent that signed over the tag.

Yes , But it doesn't make true! It is still up to interpetation of the law by Game and Fish thats counts and according to the regs the same parent that drew and then transfered the tag must be in the field with the child !

The silence tells me most are not doing it that way! And I hope they are okay.

I went round and round with Game Wardens and the Head of Game & Fish law enforcement chief!

This was when the law first came out . Thats why they started putting it in obvious places in the regs and its written several times in the regs!

This is an issue!

Here's what we do know a grandparent can transfer a tag to thier grandchild , Then the grandparent or legal guardian can take the child hunting .

Now here is the catch if the parent or legal guardian transfers the tag to thier child that parent or legal guardian has to be with in 50 yards of the child when they kill.

So if mom draws the tag and transfers to the child and mom dont hunt it is to bad for mom, she has to be there when jr kills!

Please read the regs and tell me if you see it different!

Here's what we do know a grandparent can transfer a tag to thier grandchild , Then the grandparent or legal guardian can take the child hunting .

Now here is the catch if the parent or legal guardian transfers the tag to thier child that parent or legal guardian has to be with in 50 yards of the child when they kill.

So if mom draws the tag and transfers to the child and mom dont hunt it is to bad for mom, she has to be there when jr kills!

Please read the regs and tell me if you see it different!

That's exactly how I have always read it. 'Tis better to have grandpa transfer the tag than a non-hunting mother.

that has been my interpretation of the wording also. grandma/pa signs over tag and parent/guardian can accompany. mom signs over tag she has to be present.

Thankyou ,now we have the truth not the intent of the law!

I wish it was not true but it is!

I know alot of people misinterpet what the law says!

Now here is the key is it enforced?

This was copied and pasted from another forum. I hope that's OK...

"Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) authorizes the transfer of big game tags originally issued to grandparents, parents and legal guardians to their minor grandchildren and/or children. It also authorizes big game tags to be transferred to non-profit organizations for transfer to minors with life threatening illnesses. This statute is permissive in nature rather than restrictive, and the overall intent was to further encourage and facilitate the Department's hunter recruitment and retention goals by getting children into the field.

Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) requires that after the tag is transferred, a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must accompany the child into the field. There is some confusion in regards to whether the statutory intent was that the parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must be the adult that accompanies the child on the hunt. Legislative staff indicates this was not the intent of the legislature and that any parent or legal guardian (or any grandparent if the tag was transferred from a grandparent) should be allowed to accompany the child on the hunt.

I hope that this helps clarify, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!"

Kellie Tharp Education Branch Chief Arizona Game & Fish Department"

This was copied and pasted from another forum. I hope that's OK...

"Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) authorizes the transfer of big game tags originally issued to grandparents, parents and legal guardians to their minor grandchildren and/or children. It also authorizes big game tags to be transferred to non-profit organizations for transfer to minors with life threatening illnesses. This statute is permissive in nature rather than restrictive, and the overall intent was to further encourage and facilitate the Department's hunter recruitment and retention goals by getting children into the field.

I hope that this helps clarify, please let me know if you have any further questions.

Thanks!"

Kellie Tharp Education Branch Chief Arizona Game & Fish Department"