Sign in to follow this  
Coach

Transferring tags to family members

Hmm we maybe we are on to something here, because of who signed thier name at the bottom of the statues!

Interesting from Az Game and Fish Dept!

The game warden I asked told me "If it's family, the original tag holder must be present at time of kill - not at home or at camp." I have read articles in magazines contradicting what this warden told me so I guess it's not illegal unless you get caught...? I would worry about interpretation on this one - there's a lot at stake if mommy was at camp when jr. killed his bull.

Maybe I'm missing something here, but the statute and revised statute posted here don't indicate anything about the parent/grandparent/guardian that signed over the tag being present. Only that the Jr. hunter is accompanied by a legal guardian during the hunt.

The way I read the rules and the intent behind them, is that any parent/grandparent/legal guardian can sign over their tag to Jr. hunter, and as long as that Jr. hunter is accompanied in the field by any legal guardian, they are legal.

I think the intent is to get younger hunters in the field. And while it is strange, hunters up to 18 years old can be considered Jr. hunters. So they don't necessarily want the tags going to 16-18 year olds who can hunt on their own. The intent, as I see from the statutes is to provide the ability of adults to sign tags over to "mentored" Jr. hunters - meaning Jr. hunters who still require the guidance and companionship of a legal guardian while hunting.

If there is something in these statutes that indicates otherwise, I'd love to see it. Overall, I think this is a GREAT program, but I can see where, especially with the online draw, whole families including grandparents apply for tags they have no intention of using then signing them over to basically "adult" Jr. hunters.

Man, I hope this doesn't get corrupted because its intent is solidly in favor of getting more young hunters in the field.

I hope that isn't the case. It's a good program at its core. I really think this is one of those situations where you really have to give G&F some kudos or high fives, because they are doing something you don't see in NM, UT, CO or NV to really put an emphasis on hunter recruitment.

Godpseed and best wishes to you all. I love hunting, and the only thing I love more is seeing kids having a great time hunting with their family and friends.

You can thank the late Norm Pint for this great law--even though Norm does not know he had anything to do with it. It was he who crashed his truck and was killed on his way to help one of his family members on a hunt. Norm finally drew his Bighorn Sheep tag but as fate would have it he died before he could hunt that dream animal. His family wanted to sign the tag over to his grandson but the law was not in place yet so they did the next best thing and signed it over to Hunt of a Lifetime and a Young man who had terminal cancer was able to kill a beautiful ram.

The department then seen that this should be something people could do and they went ahead with the new law and now we have what we have. Is it corrupt? heck no it isn't but the people who abuse it are---and that is a shame.

My wife drew a 27 rifle tag last year and my boys didn't get any tags. So I took her tag to AZGFD. They took her tag and put it into one of my sons name. I was the only one present. I took there hunting license and tag with me. When I left my son had a tag that was now reprinted in his name. I took him hunting and the wife stayed home.

Coach : Go to Hunters FAQ on the Az game & fish site about transfering tags! And the regs also imply the same parent takes the child hunting!

Sir Royal, you are right about what is stated in the FAQ section. I pasted the information from AZGFD's website below:

Can a big game tag be transferred to a child?

Yes, the Arizona Game and Fish Department allows a parent or legal guardian to transfer their big game permit or tag to their child. The child must be between the ages of 10 and 17 at the time of the transfer, possess a class F or G hunting license and, if under the age of 14, have satisfactorily completed a hunter education course approved by the director. Once the tag has been transferred, it cannot be transferred back to the adult. Be aware that the adult who transferred the permit or tag must accompany the child in the field and be within 50 yards of the child when the animal is taken. Any wildlife taken by the child applies toward the childs annual bag limit. Learn more about hunting regulations by visiting the Arizona Game and Fish Departments Web site at azgfd.gov/hunt.

But from the revised statute, we read this:

Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) requires that after the tag is transferred, a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must accompany the child into the field. There is some confusion in regards to whether the statutory intent was that the parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must be the adult that accompanies the child on the hunt. Legislative staff indicates this was not the intent of the legislature and that any parent or legal guardian (or any grandparent if the tag was transferred from a grandparent) should be allowed to accompany the child on the hunt.

So it looks to me like we have two different interpretations. One clearly states that it must be the same adult who signed over the tag, the other clearly states that it DOES NOT have to be the same adult.

I'm no lawyer, but I would expect that the wording of the actual statute trumps the FAQ wording, as they are claerly contradictory. I would think that in court, the wording of the actual statute would hold a lot more weight than a "less official" definition on the AZGFD website, but I wouldn't want to be the one trying to split hairs in court either.

It would sure be nice if we could get a concrete answer about this one way or another so that poeple trying to play by the rules don't find themselves on the wrong side of the law.

But from the revised statute, we read this:

Arizona Revised Statute 17-332(D) requires that after the tag is transferred, a parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must accompany the child into the field. There is some confusion in regards to whether the statutory intent was that the parent, legal guardian, or grandparent must be the adult that accompanies the child on the hunt. Legislative staff indicates this was not the intent of the legislature and that any parent or legal guardian (or any grandparent if the tag was transferred from a grandparent) should be allowed to accompany the child on the hunt.

Where did you get this from. Ive googled the ARS 17-332 all I come up with is the same language that is found in the G&F regulations. On a side note, the phrase "..should be allowed.." was used not something more definative like "..is/are allowed.."

Coach , I'm with you seems the statue would override FAQ!

The only other way is Mom does real low fly by and of course the timing has to be perfect so she is 50 yards away at the time of the kill! :-)

so do they mark the transferred tag somehow so that an officer stopped you they would know it was a transferred tag? and if so do they mark it to indicate if it was transferrred from a father, mother, guardian, grandparent, etc?

You can thank the late Norm Pint for this great law--even though Norm does not know he had anything to do with it. It was he who crashed his truck and was killed on his way to help one of his family members on a hunt. Norm finally drew his Bighorn Sheep tag but as fate would have it he died before he could hunt that dream animal. His family wanted to sign the tag over to his grandson but the law was not in place yet so they did the next best thing and signed it over to Hunt of a Lifetime and a Young man who had terminal cancer was able to kill a beautiful ram.

The department then seen that this should be something people could do and they went ahead with the new law and now we have what we have. Is it corrupt? heck no it isn't but the people who abuse it are---and that is a shame.

Norm was a great man. I enjoyed spending many hours in the field with him and his son Shane when I was first introduced to archery hunting.