standman

Who's Getting Excited

headed to 6a tomorrow after my boy gets done with AIMS testing, dang school work...they need to learn to schedule testing around our hunts.....good luck to everyone and be safe! Andy

I rolled one down a hill Monday morning! Took about a hour to call him in. He gobbled pretty good after flying down from the roost.

It was tough in NM this year

I went out this morning to one of my favorite turkey spots in unit 1. This place is always loaded with birds. After about 3 hours of walking logging roads and checking out a couple tanks I found absolutely zero turkey tracks, droppings, scratchings or feathers. The only bright part of the morning was finding 3 brown elk sheds within 15 yards of my "hidden" salt lick that is usually covered with bear, elk deer and turkey.

My youngest son, Josh, has his first turkey hunt in less than 12 hours and my go-to spot has zero birds. Time to come up with a "plan B", and fast. I've heard from 3 different people that there are tons of birds up the Lake Hawley road (Ft. Apache Rez), and my spot is about the same elevation, so I can't figure if they are higher or lower.

It's gonna be interesting come 4 AM tomorrow for sure. I'll go to a different area that has always been good in the past, but I haven't done any scouting in there at all. Kinds feels like a crap shoot at this point. I'll update tomorrow afternoon.

6A next week ! Have not had a chance to get out and its my first time in 6A but im still stoked ! GOOD LUCK to all.

Good luck to Josh. Hopefully you can find him a nice bird.

Thanks bonecollector. We had a decent morning with a slow start. Finally heard some gobbles and got close enough to see some birds, but no shot. Hopefully tomorrow they will cooperate.