Sign in to follow this  
cohntr6

Most Wallow fire closures are OPEN!!

The most updated map of "closures" is Jan. 2012.

I sent an email to the forest service to make sure it

was the most updated map and this was the reply:

"Yes that is the most accurate map of the Wallow Fire. They are planning to have almost all campgrounds open this summer, but you will need to call before making the trip to see is the campground you want to stay at is open. 928-333-6280"

It looks like the only area still closed to any access is Escudilla closure area in Unit 1.

All the areas in unit 27 that were closed last season are Open to Entry but Closed to Camping.

I am excited for my archery bull hunt in September and cant wait to even get out and start poking around.

Hopefully I can get some pictures of my scouting trip posted up.

Main page for Apache-Sitgreaves wallow fire info:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/asnf/landmanagement/resourcemanagement/?cid=stelprdb5324213

Map:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/stelprdb5323957.pdf

Jeff

Those areas are open, however, many of the roads into them are closed as are many other roads. Open roads are marked with a white arrow. It seems only the major roads have these arrows.

Return of more deer and elk is also my hope as one of the few positive results from the devastating fire. Unfortunately it looks like most of the predators survived so we should have near record birth rates but to be determined how many of the offspring survive. There will be more cover for turkeys but significantly less cover for the deer and elk. I think that might be why they have become uncharacteristically reclusive this year. Mostly nocturnal I'm guessing since we are seeing much less animals but the tracks are there.

I bought a new Apache Sitgreaves National Forest map last year and was shocked to see how many long-existing roads were NOT shown.

After the Wallow Fire, when the forest service opened the main roads east of Big Lake, I drove to Buffalo Crossing and noticed that only the main roads had white arrows on them.

The little roads I used to drive when looking for elk before the fire did not have arrows on them. When I checked my new map, those roads were not on it.

Bill Quimby

Yes Bill it almost appears like the Wallow Fire was purposely planned by USFS to accomplish their goal of closing most of the roads. Before the fire they had to have public meetings to close the roads but now they are closing all non-major roads under the guise of "public safety". The berms they are placing and tree bases strategically placed suggest to me they have no future intentions of reopening these roads. I sure hope some outdoor groups like AES and AZSFW will challenge the USFS on this or we have lost another battle to the left wing extremists groups.

More wolves and maybe grizzies will probably be in the works. I used to not be a conspericy theorist, but after what I have seen the last few years, I am starting to think the hammer is coming down. We are being taken over by the forest service and all the new travel manegment plans. Its just a step to end our way of life. I cant imagine what it will be like in 20 years! Now is the time to get involved if you really care about hunting ,fishng and being in the outdoors. These freaks will take it! Get involved! I am going to join rmes as a start, and plan to join more orgs that are willing to put up a fight. Enough is enough...

Yes it seems like we are losing more rights by the day in this country. Not the kind of change I was endorsing in the last election or will endorse in the upcoming election!

I don't understand some of the posters mentality in here, they are not saying you can't be in the woods, they are saying you can't drive your truck or ATV on a road. They did the same thing in 3c after the fire. Don't be lazy, park your vehicle and walk.

• Like 1

I don't understand some of the posters mentality in here, they are not saying you can't be in the woods, they are saying you can't drive your truck or ATV on a road. They did the same thing in 3c after the fire. Don't be lazy, park your vehicle and walk.

You should look at the bigger picture. I understand closing some roads due to safety issues, but as far as the rest of the az forests, they are telling us what we can do on OUR public lands. Dont think for a second theres not more to it than closing roads.Its just one of many steps.

• Like 1

Unfortunately they have to tell us what to do, because if they leave it up to us to make decisions and police ourselves, we do a horrible job of it. That's how the forest got burnt down in the first place remember? They didn't issue a fire ban, and some idiot had a fire and left it unattended. Make no mistake about it, some people are stupid. That's the reason we have to have rules. If they left it up to us there would eventually be roads criss crossing everywhere, take a trip out to any popular quad/dirt biking riding spot near town and you'll see why they have to make these rules and enforce them. I for one don't want our forests looking like that. Especially now that we've lost so much forest in the last couple fires. Another issue is lazy hunters, they see a point they want to glass from, and instead of walking over there, they drive the ranger over. Do this a few times and it looks like a road, and everyone drives it.Wood cutters drive all over the dang place too. It has got to stop somewhere, and I for one applaud them closing these roads.

• Like 2

They were closing some roads and updated the new map with the 4 digit numbered roads. Thats what i was told by forest service lady in Alpine 2 years ago. Saw more turkey than elk over the weekend which is bad....but i'll take it cause maybe the mule deer herds will bounce back.

I have seen alot of deer in the burned part of 1 as well as the non burned part. During my hunt last year we saw over 10 bucks in two days and 1 hour of hunting. The only thing that will change about unit 1 deer is the perception of unit 1 deer.

Unfortunately they have to tell us what to do, because if they leave it up to us to make decisions and police ourselves, we do a horrible job of it. That's how the forest got burnt down in the first place remember? They didn't issue a fire ban, and some idiot had a fire and left it unattended. Make no mistake about it, some people are stupid. That's the reason we have to have rules. If they left it up to us there would eventually be roads criss crossing everywhere, take a trip out to any popular quad/dirt biking riding spot near town and you'll see why they have to make these rules and enforce them. I for one don't want our forests looking like that. Especially now that we've lost so much forest in the last couple fires. Another issue is lazy hunters, they see a point they want to glass from, and instead of walking over there, they drive the ranger over. Do this a few times and it looks like a road, and everyone drives it.Wood cutters drive all over the dang place too. It has got to stop somewhere, and I for one applaud them closing these roads.

Well Said!

Use the Quads God Gave You!