Sign in to follow this  
Gary I

Dodge truck steering problems

Love my1999 I got it new off the lot in 99 has 213k on it and I will never get rid of the thing. My father in law has the same exact truck and his drives like crap in the front end. I have no idea how that is.

Are you running BFGs? Our trucks haaaate BFGs. The hemis don't mind it but trucks with cummins are next to impossible to get to agree with BFGs without extensive upgrading. I'll almost guarantee that if you've got BFGs, that's the problem.

I had a 96 dodge ram 4x4 with cummins turbo. It chewed up those dang BFG tires. I won't buy BFG's again.

Love my1999 I got it new off the lot in 99 has 213k on it and I will never get rid of the thing. My father in law has the same exact truck and his drives like crap in the front end. I have no idea how that is.

I've got about 185K on my 99 Ram. It's getting worn out, but I like it. It's been a real money pit the last year and a half. Over $3000, just in parts.

Maybe I'll tell you the story of what happened when my hood flew open going down the highway last summer in Montana ;)

Hmm how are your balljoints? These balljoints last no time at all on our trucks and could easily be a contributor to death wobble. I went with CARLI upper and lower balljoints. Lifetime guarantee and nobodyyyy has ever broken a set. Dynatrac makes a good set too, but not "as" beefy.

I am not running BFGs on this truck. I had BFGs on my last truck and they wore out so fast I would never use them on a diesel again. I have a set of the factory Michelins for the truck and another set of cheaper tires that were new on the truck when I got it. I was hoping to wear them out before buying new tires but I think I will bite the bullet and get a new set. Nothing like the feel of new tires anyway. I like the idea of having a road pressure balance test done on the tires but I don't think they are worth it. They really are cheap tires (Kumho brand I believe)

After lots of research and time I think I am going to order a new BD Track Bar and Bilstein steering stabilizer tomorrow. I am also going to have the caster set at 5 degrees when I get it aligned with the new tires.

I hope I can get everything in and on the truck before May 1st when I am supposed to leave for Montana.

Any suggestions on tires? I like Michelins but they are a little pricey.

I will let you know if it works out.

The tires I just bought are the Cooper Discoverer ATR 265/75/R16. Certainly not the best tire, but they are all I could afford right now. $148.00 each. I read decent reviews on them. Michelins are great tires.

Next week I have to replace my ball joints, ties rods/drag link etc. It will be a hard day's work to get it done myself.

Are you going on vacation to Montana? I may be going for the summer, if I get everything worked out. Probably 2-3 weeks.

The BD adjustable track bar is the way to go! i know at least ten guys with second gen cummins that had "death wobble" and the bd fixed the problem for all of them. I need to do the same in the near future. Make sure your ball joints are good before you put the track bar on. if they aren't replace them cause they can cause alot of the trouble.

I had a horrible case of the death wobble on my 08 Dodge with the 2 inch leveling kit. Take it to a GOOD reputable alignment or 4x4 shop. Have them adjust the caster all the way. I think mine went all the way to 7 or 8. Never had a problem with the death wobble after that.

I did A TON of research when I started having problems with mine. I can't even tell you how many stories I read about people dumping thousands of dollars replacing every front end component trying to get rid of the death wobble.

$60 and the alignment shop is all I spent.

Responding to a couple of comments here,

To BML, I agree, I think caster adjustment is a good inexpensive way to solve the problem. I am replacing parts that I actually see wear to. I plan on having this truck a while and want it to be in top shape. I plan on having the caster adjusted to the max next week. What 4 wheel shop did you use for your alignment?

To jwdodge01, I have checked the ball joints and they seem to be good. The two places I've had the truck to agree and say they are fine. I know they wear out on these trucks pretty fast since I had to change them at 30000 miles on my last Dodge. When I do replace them in the near future I will be buying good quality joints, not the OEM ones for sure.

To Snapshot, I am going to Montana to check on my house and to relax for a few days. 6 years ago we bought 20 acres of lakefront property by Trout Creek, Montana. took me 5 years to get a house built on it. (1245 miles from here) We are 20 miles from the Idaho border on the highway going to Sandpoint, Idaho. The lake we are on is Noxon Resevoir, 24 miles long and the premier bass lake in Montana. Many professional bass tournaments are held on this lake. My wife and I will be up there from June 23rd thru July 10th. If it so happens that you are going to be up there at that time let me know, maybe we can get together and cook some steaks and have a couple of cold ones one night. Nice to have guests.

Take care, Gary

Then we'd have to replace turbos, injectors, sensors, and driveshafts... Regularly. Hahaha... I'll stick wih my Dodge! :D

Keep us posted Gary!

Gary,

I live up in Prescott Valley. I took my truck to a friend of mine's shop. Northern AZ Offroad and Alignment.

Let us know how everything works out.

Then we'd have to replace turbos, injectors, sensors, and driveshafts... Regularly. Hahaha... I'll stick wih my Dodge! :D

Keep us posted Gary!

Not to mention get blown away by every Honda driving granny on the road!

Hey Gary,

I installed a cross member steering stabilizer onto my 06 Dodge because I understand that with the larger tires, the front of the frame can flex and cause wander and wobbling. I've never had a problem with the "death wobble". Maybe it's just luck. Here's the website.

http://www.solidsteel.biz/

I've got 35 inch tires and a leveling kit and never had a problem with the steering.

If you want to stop by and take a look at it, I have it at the office today.

Good luck,

Tanner

SInce 1996 I have owned 4 Dodge rams. 2 new, 2 used. Foutunately, never had any major problems. With the exception of the 2005 quad cab hemi I bought new. It ended up being bought back from me by the manufacturer under the lemon law.