Sign in to follow this  
bustedknuckleinc

Unit 10

Well I finally drew a rifle tag for unit 10. I have never stepped foot in the unit. I plan on scouting every weekend I get the chance as well as the whole first week before the hunt starts. I was just wondering what is the best way to travel, throughout the unit. I have a jeep or ATV's. I have heard that private property owners are not very fond of ATV's but I'm sure that's because of the people that take them off the beaten path. Any advice on where to start or how to travel would be appreciated.

Thanks. Mike

There are goats all over the unit including in the thicker tree areas. You will burn a bunch of fuel scouting but hey it is basically a once in a lifetime tag! No quad or horses on the "BO" they dont even like to see them in camp! Good luck there are some good ones out there!

They allowed ATVs this past year on the Boquillas. But the unit is huge. Be careful if you take an ATV, you could very easily come in one side of the unit and out the other and it is a looong ways back. I'd scout out of a vehicle you can drive down the highway. It'll let you cover more area.

If you are looking to kill the absolute biggest antelope ever then scout every weekend like you said. Just remember things are going to change quite a bit during that time. Personally I wouldn't waste the gas money .I would start scouting when August hits and during the archery hunt without getting in anyones way. Then get 2 or 3 days in before the hunt. I had the tag in 2010 and was honestly kinda disappointed in some ways. someone could say the total opposite so take it for what its worth. take a truck.

Prep yourself for thousands of dollars in gas money!!! Not to mention wear and tear on vehicle over hundreds and hundreds of miles over dirt roads.

Seriously.

Good luck, hold out and dont shoot a dink. Prepare to see every other hunter and their 10 buddies, and congrats on a great tag!

Lance

You can drive forever in that unit. I just started driving their the last few weekends. May want to take an xtra 5 gallons of gas with you as well. It's amazing how far i went and still could not drive to some of the places i wanted to scout. I will be carrying xtra gas myself. I was seeing antelope everywhere. When i say everywhere i mean everywhere.These guys are right the wear and tear on your vehicle is alot. Better have an xtra tire or 2 as well just in case. Alot of sharp rocks.

Hold out for a big one they are out there. Everyone and there friends and family will be out there. I would recommend taking extra 20 gallons of gas and extra spare tires....i got 1 going in and 1 going out.

They allowed ATVs this past year on the Boquillas. But the unit is huge. Be careful if you take an ATV, you could very easily come in one side of the unit and out the other and it is a looong ways back. I'd scout out of a vehicle you can drive down the highway. It'll let you cover more area.

Ummm.....NO they didn't. Hard to miss the billboard stateing so. Do you own a green quad?

Yep... really tough on your vehicle! :wacko: I've put 1500 miles on my truck scouting for my archery tag. Getting an additional spare and lifting my truck this weekend to make it more 'Unit 10 worthy' <_<

post-647-0-45248400-1342072526_thumb.jpeg