naturegirl

thoughts on new coconino road rules

Back on topic. I have yet to get my copy of the map. Can someone scan their copy and upload it for the site? Fr

You can call, or download the maps.

http://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/coconino/landmanagement/projects/?cid=stelprdb5356224

I just reviewed the maps again, and am having a hard time finding anywhere on coconino, that you can't drive within a couple of miles of, that's not a wilderness area. There's still a ton of roads criss crossing everywhere, just not seeing why you guys are getting so bent out of shape.

The reason I am so bent out of shape is because the forest belongs to the people, not the forest service. If you give the government an inch, they will take a mile. If we lay here and take it, they will just take more later on.

As I have said before I am not against closing some of the newer atv roads. But the thing that really gets me is the camping restrictions. There are very few places left to camp without being cramed with a bunch of other people. Just try and look at the big picture. They wont stop with these restrictions. Next will be pay to play. We cant let it get that far.

So i finally got my map pieced together and began looking it over. Didn't look too bad while i was trying to recall roads i havnt thought about for a year or more. I then dug out the nearest map i had and opened it up to compare. From the "old" map to the closure map there isa noticed road closures. But i also noticed a lot of the small dog leg roads that were only pull outs more or less are now full on roads and this is only a tiny screen shot of one tiny area.

For the photo, the yellow is roads that existed before and still do (with exception of when i failed to connect all the way) the blue lines are roads that no longer exist, and the uncolored lines on the right map are roads that are "new" since the other map was printed and are open.

IMG_20120426_215734.jpg

Kind of makes me want to compare the entire map now....

You know what is funny? AES has been fighting this for a long while now and while the fight was going on, everyone had very little to say about it. Now that its actually happening, everyone is wringing their hands over it. Where was everyone when this could still be fought? I'd have to go back and look but I remember seing a few threads about this and guys talked but evidently thats as far as it got. Chalk another one up to apathy.

You guys can disagree with me all you want. I'm not here to beat up on anyone or cause an argument but its truly the same ol' same ol' when it comes to how we as sportsmen handle things. We had better get proactive like some did with HB2072 and some are with the Kiabab watershed deal because these things will happen if we continue with our apathetic ways. We lost a few roads and it sucks that we did but we are about to lose a huge area that is beloved by many. Time to pony up guys!!!!

Donnie Lee

You know what is funny? AES has been fighting this for a long while now and while the fight was going on, everyone had very little to say about it. Now that its actually happening, everyone is wringing their hands over it. Where was everyone when this could still be fought? I'd have to go back and look but I remember seing a few threads about this and guys talked but evidently thats as far as it got. Chalk another one up to apathy.

You guys can disagree with me all you want. I'm not here to beat up on anyone or cause an argument but its truly the same ol' same ol' when it comes to how we as sportsmen handle things. We had better get proactive like some did with HB2072 and some are with the Kiabab watershed deal because these things will happen if we continue with our apathetic ways. We lost a few roads and it sucks that we did but we are about to lose a huge area that is beloved by many. Time to pony up guys!!!!

Donnie Lee

true true... 3 years ago the forest service was up by stoneman lake handing out maps and saying this was all in the works. I thought it would make some of the areas better for hunting minus the jerks that disobey rules anyway. Case in point I walked into the quiet area and low and behold a guy driving in there when it was closed. we'll have to see how it all works out.

Sucks when you walk into an area and there is a two track you didn't know about and someone is driving around... but that can be from poor planning/scouting on my part.

Remember the bushnell tanks... temporary closed to vehicles.... I can't even remember what year it was... 2002 maybe and still closed. I do like what they did with bulldog canyon although plenty of people go where they are not supposed to.

James

well got my map and it's the same. their estimate of road closures is wayyyy off. one area has so many roads closed its now bigger than many of the quiet/wilderness areas (appx 30 sq miles without roads now). makes no sense to me unless they had no closures in some areas but it just so happens the areas I know well were all closed.

My Old Eyes just have a lot of trouble reading the map so I have copied and pasted areas into a Word Document. I have attached maps for these areas and will make several posts to cover the Coconino.

North of Flagstaff:

Coco RDs Cedar Ranch.doc

Coco RDs Flagstaff North.doc

Coco RDs Ft Valley.doc

Coco RDs Kendrick Mtn.doc

Coco RDs North of Peaks.doc

Coco RDs Strawberry Crtr.doc

Coco RDs Winona North.doc

Coco RDs Bellemont.doc

Happy Jack and then some.

I need some coffee this should finish the Coconino. I also have done the Kaibab and Prescott and will add those latter.

Mormon Lake South.doc

Kinnikinick Lake.doc

Long Lake East.doc

Long Lake West.doc

Stoneman Lake.doc

Clints Well North.doc

Munds Park Inset.doc

im glad they closed roads, people are lazy idiots sometimes.

im glad they closed roads, people are lazy idiots sometimes.

Really? Your glad you have to now camp in very small areas with alot of other people? Are you also glad you just lost some more of your rapidly disapearing freedom? Im sorry, but I just cant understand how anyone could be happy about this.

• Like 1

well got my map and it's the same. their estimate of road closures is wayyyy off. one area has so many roads closed its now bigger than many of the quiet/wilderness areas (appx 30 sq miles without roads now). makes no sense to me unless they had no closures in some areas but it just so happens the areas I know well were all closed.

You got me curious now, where is this spot?

I looked on the website, and I found the map http://www.redrockcountry.org/about-us/tmr/tmr-documents/tap-appendix-g.pdf

that shows the distance to open roads, it says 80% is within half mile of open road, and another 16% is between half and one mile from open road.

Sycamore