Sign in to follow this  
ctafoya

Snake

I have always wanted to get a rattlesnake done. Anyone had one done before? I have skined lots of em but never though about getting one mounted. Just curios what i would need to do for prep.

I have always just heard of guys catching them live and either drowning or freezing them to avoid damaging it.

Be careful with freezing them, it takes longer than you might think. It is amazing to see a snake that appeared to be frozen solid over night, and as it thaws out it begins to move.

Be careful with freezing them, it takes longer than you might think. It is amazing to see a snake that appeared to be frozen solid over night, and as it thaws out it begins to move.

You never could have convinced me of this had I not seen it first hand. Weird, crazy stuff.

I used to freeze a lot of em when i was younger when i didn't have time to skin em right away. It is scary when they start to thaw. I never left one out long enough to see if it would totaly come back though. I would like to do a big one but i don't want to waste the meat.

You don't want to mess with the head anyway unless you are male, a drinker, and tatooed! Shoot the head off or use a shovel. The best way I have seen to prepare them is to sock the skin out backwards starting at the head, plug the vent hole and fill it inside out with clean sand. Then you can flesh it out and treat it with 50/50 glycerin/alcohol to preserve it.

I now have a strong desire to go grab a snake and freeze it, just so I can watch it thaw. I am male, I do not drink and am ink free. But I get what you are saying.

Cool Topic. I have never considered doing anything with reptiles execpt for avoiding the rattlesnakes while hunting! Looked up the regs and feel more informed! Has anyone killed a rattlesnake and eaten it? Below are the regs for reptiles.

http://www.azgfd.gov...leAmphibian.pdf

I have eaten it. We just peeled the skin back, pushed the guts out like a fish and threw the whole thing on the grill. It tasted fine, but its kind of a lot of work for not much of a meal.

Cool! I cannot say that I am eager to get close to a pissed off rattlesnake but if I do, I may just wack it on the head and though it on the grill!

Sometimes I just hit them with rocks. Last year I whacked one with a rock but didn't kill it and it went down a hole. When I reached for a stick to get him with there was a second one under the branch I had lifted up. Once that one started buzzing and getting severely agitated I decided it might be be best to just get out of dodge. Those suckers get irritated in a hurry. Especially when you hot them with a rock. I have since decided a trecking pole is perfect for dealing with them.