Sign in to follow this  
marineforlife

NM Unit 27

I was referred to this forum from another when I posted a question about hunting Coues Deer in NM. I was lucky and drew a unit 27 tag for this year but have never hunted coues deer. I am NM resident and stationed overseas but will be returning this summer. Looking forward to hunting again since it has been 3 years since I left. If anyone has any experience in this unit I would appreciate the help. Looking forward to an opportunity to harvest my first coues buck.

Thanks

The new guy.

I guess I am so excited I figured I would respond to my own post. I should be excited after not hunting in 3 years. I was reading several of the posts and decided to buy the Coues Hunting book from the store as recommended. I figured the more I know about them the better my chances. Maps are also on their way.

My family and I are finally being transfered from Japan to Kansas City in about a month. It will be my son's first year hunting - he is nine. One of my girls loves to hunt and drew a NM unit 58 youth deer tag and a Stallion Rg Oryx for Feb 13 - wow. It took me 20 years to get that tag and she gets it the first try. I also drew a NM unit 17 muzzleloader elk tag which I am really excited about.

I have good binos but may look at upgrading my old bushnell spotting scope. I think I will use my new 300WSM. I still need to set it up with its Monarch scope and tally rings/bases and then work up a load, but should be able to get a pretty accurate combination going in time.

I look forward to hearing any advice you all could offer.

Shoot me a PM with questions and I will try to help.

sorry never hunted in 27 in NM to offer any help...only unit 23 for Mule Deer.... I am sure you will get some help, just give it some time

If you don't reload, and want someone to reload got you let me know

Thanks. I love to reload - something about putting together the right recipe for a rifle that makes me enjoy hunting a bit more. Same way with my arrows, after buying shafts, put everything esle together. I will either go with a 165 or 180 grain since I would like one load to cover everything. I will be trying accubonds, barnes, but am considering berger as well. Looks like I will also be setting up a new rifle for my daughter this year. Thinking 270 WSM but not completely set. Her gun, she gets to pick. She needs something a little bigger than her 243 for her Oryx hunt and for elk. I have read a lot of good stuff about the 270 WSM but have no first hand experience.

Thanks for your service. Sorry I can't be of help in 27, but maybe I'll run into you in 17. My wife has the 1st muzzy hunt for Elk.

--Bill

Look at something in the 25 claiber.... 257 wby for example. I love mine and have used it to take African game animals, and my little brother shot a pretty decent sized cow elk with it last year. Shoot the 100 TTSX and stuff dies.

The 270 wsm is a great round, but it has a snappy recoil.

For your 300 wsm, I would look heavily at the 168 TTSX I killed a dozen animals in Africa with it and they all died quickly.

Marineforlife,welcome to the website,and thank you for your service.This website is the best as you can tell from the people that answered your login.