After the HB2072 battle and some of the other recent battles like Kaibab National Monument proposal, I am curious as to who has either joined a wildlife org or has stepped up in other ways to get more involved?????

I am not attempting to embarass anyone, just curious what everyone's plans are going forward. The following are some questions:

1. Will you look to join a wildlife group if you werent involved in the past?

2. Will you look to get more involved in habitat projects?

3. Are you still looking for the "right group" to join?

4. What are you doing to maintain/enhance AZ's wildlife and our kids future?????

Thanks............Allen Taylor......................

• Like 2

Allen,

Great questions, I have been waiting for the dust to settle on deciding about joining an organization.

I like what I am hearing about the one TLH is trying to pull together but have not really heard much on the specifics of that organization.

I think my tendency is going to be working on helping with habitat but have run into a little disappointment thus far.

I got quick response initially from Game and Fish on the adopt a catchment program, but have been waiting for three weeks now to get a phone call or email from the G4F that was supposed to "coordinate" with me.

A little frustrating but I will exhibit patience......for a while.

I plan on being a part of the SWSA.

I volunteered on the 442 water project last month and took my 2 boys along. They had a alot of fun, even in the heat.

Since he turned 10, my oldest has had 2 42jr deer tags (unsuccessful so far, but he loves it) and 1 6a jr cow (succussful). After getting his cow, I believe he is officially hooked on hunting. Same game plan for my youngest. Get him hunting as soon as he's old enough and take him along on a few until then. Now we have an e caller, and i figured that would be an easy way to get both kids out hunting in between the main hunts, unfortunately its officially too hot around the valley but we should get up north a couple times this summer for a camping trip and will break it out for some fun.

Unfortunately gas prices have really hurt our ability to just up and go, now it has to be budgeted for and will limit the # of trips we take. I also planned on getting new binos this year, but now just have that money set aside for gas $ for hunting and will make do with my current setup.

I also am waiting for the dust to die down on which org. to join, but my son and I helped on a water catchment project in 37A with Ben Brochu. The whole group is a class act group of diehard workers for wildlife.

While folks are "waiting for the dust to settle", there are projects happening and in need of volunteers!

The Arizona Elk Society is a great organization to be a part of and there's a project this weekend for those willing to "blow through the dust" and get involved!

There are more projects coming up as well and volunteers are always needed and appreciated.

Here's a link to more info on this weekend's project: http://forums.coueswhitetail.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=32566

Here's a link to AES website: http://arizonaelksociety.org/

• Like 1

I am still in limbo as far as joining an organization. I am not sure if I will be staying in Arizona. I have a medical condition, and the Arizona heat really makes my life miserable. If I do stay I may consider moving to the/Show Low/ Pinetop area. If I stick around then I will get involved in some of the G&F projects, when I can.

Well guys, most of you know what I've been doing because you get to read what my big mouth comes up with.

TLH is now the regional director for the MDF. He will do a good job here in AZ. Since he has taken that new position we are still considering what to do with SWSA. If Terry can gain enough support in region 4 through MDF, they can start a chapter there and there wouldn't be a need for another org out there. But, if there isn't much interest generated by an MDF chapter, we will slowly and methodically move forward with SWSA. Its easy to hurry through the process and make mistakes. Troy and I want a group of friends who can get together and get things accomplished. We really want to stay away from the political garbage. Terry is a good fit for his new position and no matter what we decide to do with SWSA i would encourage everyone to join the MDF, I am. Troy will be getting a list of drinkers in region 4 that need attention of some sort. We will post on here anytime there is a project to be worked on. Please feel free to PM me with any questions or concerns you might have. The important thing is to stay involved guys!

I have been a member of RMEF, AES and SEAZSC since these organizations were created. SEAZSC and AES have many work projects that are worthy in our state and fun to meet people at. You can find out more about SEAZSC at their website www.seazsc.org

After the HB2072 battle and some of the other recent battles like Kaibab National Monument proposal, I am curious as to who has either joined a wildlife org or has stepped up in other ways to get more involved?????

I am not attempting to embarass anyone, just curious what everyone's plans are going forward. The following are some questions:

1. Will you look to join a wildlife group if you werent involved in the past?

2. Will you look to get more involved in habitat projects?

3. Are you still looking for the "right group" to join?

4. What are you doing to maintain/enhance AZ's wildlife and our kids future?????

Thanks............Allen Taylor......................

Allen, the political discussion forum is not my favorite forum to reply to only because politics always brings out so much anger in some people. The name calling gets out of hand and I don't like reading the mud slinging that goes on among our cwt members. Politics has a way of making people forget we are on the same team. With that said, I do believe the political forum is a very important tool and is necessary in keeping us informed on issues like HB2072 and the Kaibab. Allen, thanks for being one of the members at the front of this issue and for all your hard work and time you put in to this.

Answer to question #1: I was already a member of the AES & ADA. However, I decided to donate my renewal money of the ADA to help with Amanda's upgade of CouesWhitetail.com instead. I feel this site was very instrumental in getting the word out of the HB2072. I also felt cwt did more good towards defeating HB2072 than the ADA dancing around their statement. Do I believe the ADA are a good organization? You bet I do and I incourage everyone to join them but my money is streched thin so that is how I decided what to do with this years dues. Enough said!

Question #2: Yes, I need to get more involved with habitat projects. I have helped on a few recently and find it very rewarding.

Question #3: If I had the money I would belong to more than I already do.

Question #4: I would like to think I have helped maintained/enhanced towards AZ's wildlife and helped a few kids, and some adults, along the way. I certainly haven't done as much as some of you and those who are among you I thank you for that. However, I will continue to do more, in anyway I can, to keep this hunting & fishing heritage going.

Since I can't afford to belong to everything, over the years I have "rotated" memberships amongst ADA, ABA, AES, NRA, etc. I'm sure it drives membership committees crazy but I feel like I am spreading my sheckles around, at least. I have also been active as a quasi-Public Information officer for Hunt of a Lifetime AZ for a number of years. After I watched the last stakeholder meeting online (and saw Allen and Terry) I immediately e-mailed the address given for that group and offered to participate as well. I helped create a group called Gateway Outdoors in Gilbert.

I have helped occasionally on habitat projects. My family situation is such that it is extremely difficult for me to travel. I try to support these projects by spreading the word via my website, e-mail lists, etc.

If I had enough money I would belong to nearly every critter group out there (and go to the banquets!!!)

As mentioned, my home situation makes it extremely difficult for me to travel/hunt/participate in projects that are more than an hour or two away from my home. Certainly nothing overnight. That being said, I have a pretty busy website www.desertratoutdoors.com (not as busy as CWT though!) and am a Featured Contributor on www.outdoorhub.com I have been a freelance writer and editor since High School. I have a standing offer to any group needing writing/editing/press release/whatever - to help however I can. I'm also happy to promote causes/events/projects/organizations via my websites. That includes interviews, articles, whatever you need.

The new Sportsmens Consituent Group AZGFD is talking about will sure be a step in the right direction. I am hoping the SCG can work with all existing conservation groups and unaffiliated people to bring together the voices/votes/manpower/money that is so crucial. I know there are so many facets to this whole picture: Economic, political, on the ground projects, meetings, fundraisers etc.........if each person can serve where he/she best fits (and it fits with your family's needs), then we can cover as many bases as possible for wildlife and not burn out people like the current way we do things has. Hopefully everyone can voice an opinion, feel free to share not only opinions, but answers.................Allen Taylor..........

I plan on working with the SCG. The only org I give money to is RMEF. The hard working guys on the ground don't need my old decrepid body getting in their way!

Allen and all,

I was named the Regional Director to The Mule Deer Foundation and i want to work with all groups and anyone who would want to help our mule deer. I believe the ADA is a good group and i know they will continue to grow and build on what they have accomplished in the past and i want to work with the ADA if they need help. The AES was the only group i am a life time member but now i believe so highly in what the MDF is about that i paid my dues and became a life member with them as well.

I hope we can grow the MDF all over the state and i would be happy to answer any questions that anyone has about the MDF. I am not officially working with the MDF but that starts on Monday. I would be happy to drive anywhere in the state to speak to anyone who would want to start a chapter or just be a member of the MDF.

I am a lover of desert mule deer and i feel they need a lot of help and i want to help them as much as the MDF and i possibly can. Donnie and Troy would be perfect to help on any projects they may have and i will be there with shovel in hand to help them. I know there are many more people who would like to see our mule deer herd grow back into the herd we had in the late 80's--what a sight it was to see 25 or 30 deer marching up a canyon--i miss that and i know all of you do too.

I would like to take a drive through Flagstaff and Prescott and see more mule deer and with all of your help we can work toward that goal.

The MDF has started a youth program in the past year and you all know that the AES, ADA, www.thearizonahunter.com and many others hold youth camps in this state and the MDF is ready to help with those camps as well; and these are another way to help with our youth and our state. The youth are our future and there is nothing better than to see the look of a young one waking in the morning and knowing they are going to hunt deer or elk or Javelina just like their Dad and Mom and Aunts and Uncles have for centuries.

Even if you do not want to belong to an ORG. that does not mean you can not help with any or all of those groups that have projects...get involved in one way or another to help our state and help our animals and our youth.

My number is 623-696-5579 and you can call me anytime you have a question--i don't have all the answers but i am sure we can find those answers together.

Terry Herndon

I have been a member of the YVRGC since 1998. I started out paying my dues so I could enter their big Javelina contest. This turned into just being able to support Jonhny and the Legislative leg of that organization.

Two days after my dad's funeral some great friends took me on a club waterhole project in 2005 and I have been hooked ever since. I can now proudly say that I have been a club board member for the last three years, waterhole project co-chair for that long, legislative co-chair for two, and proudly represent Yuma on the HAHWG Steering commitee and group.

Unfortunately I am a farmer and my schedule NEVER permits me to do all of the things I "want" to do. I feel pains in my heart everytime the club or the GFD asks me to do something and I have to tell them no, I guess I should play the lottery more regularly.

I cannot express how important it is to support any group that works for what you believe in. If you think you are better off not "getting involved" you are dead wrong. You don't have to change your life to make a difference. Every penny and minute donated to a cause counts. The Good Lord knows I have donated more sweat than dollars, because it is what I can afford.

David

I have been a member of the YVRGC since 1998. I started out paying my dues so I could enter their big Javelina contest. This turned into just being able to support Jonhny and the Legislative leg of that organization.

Two days after my dad's funeral some great friends took me on a club waterhole project in 2005 and I have been hooked ever since. I can now proudly say that I have been a club board member for the last three years, waterhole project co-chair for that long, legislative co-chair for two, and proudly represent Yuma on the HAHWG Steering commitee and group.

Unfortunately I am a farmer and my schedule NEVER permits me to do all of the things I "want" to do. I feel pains in my heart everytime the club or the GFD asks me to do something and I have to tell them no, I guess I should play the lottery more regularly.

I cannot express how important it is to support any group that works for what you believe in. If you think you are better off not "getting involved" you are dead wrong. You don't have to change your life to make a difference. Every penny and minute donated to a cause counts. The Good Lord knows I have donated more sweat than dollars, because it is what I can afford.

David

If only 10% of the hunters in Arizona did what you do, we would be a remarkable state. Sadly, less than 1% make ANY effort to do ANYTHING. That situation has been this way forever and will likely never change. Congrats on doing that which you can. It is always appreciated by the department and wildlife.