Sign in to follow this  
desertsheep

Waiting your turn

Since we are getting close to knowing what we all are hopefully going to be hunting this year. And since it been 10 years since I've had a elk tag. And I've only been applying for archery only hunts. I was wondering how many of you would be willing to set out for a couple of years. This would let the max point holders draw and keep moving people through the system. Instead of people just waiting and waiting.

I know they use to do this before. But it was before my time and I would like to see them bring it back. What do you guys think.

From my math there are around 22000 elk tags General- Archery- MZL Loader.

I would be willing to set out for 2-3 years after I had a elk tag. This might help you to get a tag every 5-6 instead of 10-12.

I doubt azgfd would consider it because of the money they would lose.

Desrtsheep

I think it is the right thing to do also, but with the new 20% pass rule,I think you are going to see most if not all max point holders draw out in the next two years, assuming they are actually putting in and not just buying more points.

The other option would be to do as Utah does and only let you apply for either a deer, elk, or antelope tag. Not all 3. Alot of people that apply and draw sheep and antelope tags only applied because it was easy and cost only a few dollars. They had no expectations of drawing the tag, it was gravy.

And isn't it abut time they made rifle antelope tags a once in a lifetime draw? The odds of drawing a tag are actually worse than some sheep units.

I'm not just talking about max point holders. I think all 22000 people that draw elk tags this year should have to wait before reapplying. The first year it would elimante 22000 and the next year we would be at 44000. I didnt have the time to see how many applicant there are. But I know it would make chances alot better if we didnt have to fight 44000 more people.

And you right about the Antelope also. I drew my sheep tag with 4 point and have never had a goat tag in the state.

Desertsheep

I'm not just talking about max point holders. I think all 22000 people that draw elk tags this year should have to wait before reapplying. The first year it would elimante 22000 and the next year we would be at 44000. I didnt have the time to see how many applicant there are. But I know it would make chances alot better if we didnt have to fight 44000 more people. And you right about the Antelope also. I drew my sheep tag with 4 point and have never had a goat tag in the state. Desertsheep

Until about 30 years ago hunters had to wait three years before applying for another elk or antelope tag after they'd drawn out. I forget the exact explanation, but I remember watching an AGFD statistics expert explain at a game commission meeting why it made no difference to an individual applicant. It made sense at the time.

I agree about once-in-a-lifetime for antelope tags. I've drawn five or six in Arizona but that was when they were easier to get. I now do my antelope hunting in Wyoming. It took 39 years for me to draw a sheep tag.

I agree for the waiting peroid for elk. Sitting out for a couple of years may help to reduce some pressure. If this were to happen it might be nice if a person could continue to accumulate bonus points while you were waiting. I also think it would also make more sense to have the waiting period only apply to bull elk rather than to both bulls and cows.

I don't think I'd want antelope to be once in a lifetime quite yet. I think I'd rather see them have a person sit out for awhile as well. Only for antelope perhaps a person should have to sit out for 5-7 years. Once a program like this was in place then the system could be monitored and if things don't get better then we could jump to once in a lifetime.

If I were applying for the 'trophy' units I think I might be all for this, as long as the waiting period was for bull tags only. The units I put in for I can probably expect to be drawn every 3-4 years, and hopefully more often if putting in for cow elk. I'm putting in for archery only. I was drawn for archery bull last year and this year I am only putting in for bull first choice, then all cow hunts after that. In a few years getting a nice bull might become more important to me. Right now I'd rather have the opportunity to be out there hunting, gaining experience, and putting meat in the freezer.

Ron

Ditto to what Ron said. when i apply for elk, i usually do a early rifle bull hunt first chouce, and then rifle cow all the rest. i just like to be out there hunting elk and a rack doesnt make that much of a difference to me. i have only been applying for antelope for three years, and this is my first year applying for sheep, hopefully i will draw one of those tags when i can still walk and shoot straight! well, atleast semi-straight!

I agree with much of what has been said, however I think that there are a lot of issues that come up when you talk about a waiting period and those with the most bonus points getting the tags. While I agree with both of those suggestions and think they would help all hunters in more ways than one, I wonder how do you work out the fact that there are several units in the state that are primo bull elk units, like 9 or 10, and other units that are not so great to hunt. If i want to apply for one of these units year after year, I have to expect to wait longer for a tag than someone applying for a different unit. It would all depend on the draw odds for the tags each person applies for. :P

Personally, I drew an archery bull tag last year, and put in for mostly cow hunts except for my first choice. Fortunately, there are several places left with very good draw odds for 1st and 2nd choice cow hunts, so at this point will take what I can get.

Yes, they would have to determine which units and species would require a waiting period and which ones would not.

I would never ever willingly sit out of the draw so that someone I don't even know could draw an elk tag. I don't mean to sound like a total jerk here but the truth of the matter is that when it came down to actually doing it I would guess that most of you would feel the same way.

I look forward to applying for hunts and the nervous anticipation of possibly drawing an awesome elk tag!

I honestly don't care if my neighbor down the street, who I don't know, draws a tag or not. Just trying to keep it real here.

I think it would be a good thing if there were a way that I could draw an elk tag every 3rd or 4th year, even if it meant not being able to apply for that time but not because I am worried about Joe Blow's elk tag, I am looking out for my elk tag.

I do not ever expect to draw another Antelope tag...........because I drew one in 2001 with only a couple of bogus points but that is the beauty of the whole draw!! You just got to love it!

I would'nt set out of the draw willingly either. What I am saying is have AZGFD set it up on their computer so if you drew in 2006 you couldnt put in till 08-09. But still be able to by bonus points in those years you are out.

We've all heard of the guy or maybe even been the guy to draw back to back Bull elk tags. If a guy had to set out this would'nt happen and let other people draw and then make them set out. This way I think it would help to draw a tag a little more often.

Desertsheep

The Dept quit doing that because there are so many elk applicants that having the permit holders sit out for 2 years made no statistical change in the draw odds at all.

Mike

I remember the waiting period back in the 70's. But remember there were'nt many elk in Az. If you even saw an elk you considered it a successful hunt. Since 1992 myself and buddy have been putting in for archery elk only and have had great success at drawing tags. Always bull first, and cow for the rest. We just love being in the woods during the rut. Nothing like being in bed all night listening to bulls bugle, getting no sleep from all the excitement. It has been 12 years since We have drawn An antelope tag. Definately sheep odds or worse. Nice thing being in the woods elk hunting you still get to see them goats and dream.

I dont have any answers and like many people on here, I am tired of never drawing a tag. Nine years and no Elk,Antelope, etc. Sure hope this is the year. I have drawn two coues tags in my nine years of applying but would love a Elk or Antelope tag. Maybe some sort of change within the draw process is called for. I know each year we have more and more people wanting to hunt in AZ and moving to AZ so the odds just go down for many of us............Allen........