azmetalman

Ban "TOXIC LEAD AMMUNITION" in the Kaibab

The Center for Biological Diversity issued a press release yesterday stating their intent to file a lawsuit to ban the use of " toxic lead ammunition " left behind from hunting activities in the Kaibab. This is something that we all should take seriously. Below is a link that will take you to the release. Please take the time to read it and understand the implications. Don't think that they are only considering the Kaibab. This is an integral part of a broad strategy to control hunting and firearms.

http://www.biologica...05-18-2012.html

• Like 1

This is conflicting topic. I truly believe the science and politics behind this are total crap.

That being said, if I did one day draw a tag up there and was told I would have to use specific ammunition, I would still be happy just to have the opportunity to fulfill one of my lifelong dreams - just to hunt big muleys North of the canyon. The access and camping has been severely limited in the past few years.

It seems more and more that the dream of hunting one of our most treasured areas is further out of reach each season. I think access is a higher priority bullets.

But let's face it, the same people telling us what bullets we can use are the same people, that ultimately, want to ban all hunting up there. We have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

• Like 1

This is conflicting topic. I truly believe the science and politics behind this are total crap.

That being said, if I did one day draw a tag up there and was told I would have to use specific ammunition, I would still be happy just to have the opportunity to fulfill one of my lifelong dreams - just to hunt big muleys North of the canyon. The access and camping has been severely limited in the past few years.

It seems more and more that the dream of hunting one of our most treasured areas is further out of reach each season. I think access is a higher priority bullets.

But let's face it, the same people telling us what bullets we can use are the same people, that ultimately, want to ban all hunting up there. We have to draw a line in the sand at some point.

Coach you get it. Your last sentence sums it up very well.

If they can successfully ban the type of ammunition, they won't stop in Kaibab. Next they will try Coconino, Coronado, etc. All they need is a foothold.

• Like 1

have mixed emotions about this one, my daughters volunteered at Adobe Mtn Wildlife Rehab for their HS years and had a bunch of hawks, owls & eagles with lead poisoning, they vomit and puke green, so it isn't junk science made up to cram a law down our throats. Don't really like it, have my reloads all set for lead/jacketed rds and haven't tried any of the new non-lead offerings. So this is a case where I don't like it but they ain't lying, don't know that there is a happy medium. It's neat to have a Condor fly over your head at about 10 ft, wish I'd had a camera.

Guest akaspecials

I gotta agree with azslim on this one. It's not junk science. There was a really good article 7 or 8 months ago in Arizona Wildlife Views about the Condors and lead poisoning. (I'm 90% sure it was that magazine.) It really changed my opinion. I'll try to find it.

Also look at waterfowlers, they mostly steel now. It's not nearly as good as lead, but it works without harming the environment.

Edit: Here is a link to that article PDF. If you don't want to follow the link type "arizona wildlife views condor er" and the first thing that comes up is a PDF of the article. I think the website is elance.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=julie%20hammonds%20condor&source=web&cd=5&ved=0CFUQFjAE&url=http%3A%2F%2Fws.elance.com%2Ffile%2F17-22_Sept-Oct_2011_Views_v2.pdf%3Fcrypted%3DY3R4JTNEcG9ydGZvbGlvJTI2ZmlkJTNEMzU2OTg2NzQlMjZyaWQlM0QtMSUyNnBpZCUzRDI1Mzg0NzQ%3D&ei=XSm8T42sOMqmsALY2Z0w&usg=AFQjCNHAEJVQYzYDGx24_1D7sE_l5EzEbw&cad=rja

I shoot-lead free bullets for hunting not because I’m concerned about what condors (or turkey vultures or coyotes) ingest. I do so because I’m concerned about what my family ingests. Plus, they seem to perform well.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to oppose a good idea simply because a bad idea might follow it. Maybe just wait for the bad idea and then oppose that. Sometimes the slope isn’t a slippery as it seems. I concede, however, that sometimes it is.

I just read the supply of lead is going to run out worldwide in approx 42 years. So i guess it is inevitable we will be using copper bullets everywhere eventually.

I shoot-lead free bullets for hunting not because I’m concerned about what condors (or turkey vultures or coyotes) ingest. I do so because I’m concerned about what my family ingests. Plus, they seem to perform well.

I don’t know if it’s a good idea to oppose a good idea simply because a bad idea might follow it. Maybe just wait for the bad idea and then oppose that. Sometimes the slope isn’t a slippery as it seems. I concede, however, that sometimes it is.

Good post. I've also wondered about how much lead makes its way into the meat we bring home. On the other hand, while growing up, it seems I always had lead either sinkers or .177 cal pellets in my mouth. That could make a good point either for or against the potential threats of lead poisoning, depending on how you look at it. LOL. :wacko: :rolleyes:

Good post. I've also wondered about how much lead makes its way into the meat we bring home. On the other hand, while growing up, it seems I always had lead either sinkers or .177 cal pellets in my mouth. That could make a good point either for or against the potential threats of lead poisoning, depending on how you look at it. LOL. :wacko: :rolleyes:

So true! And don’t forget all the lead-based paints in our homes (and even on our cribs) when we were kids! Maybe we were just building up our tolerance. :lol:

• Like 1