Sign in to follow this  
flyphsr

3a 3c archery

Was wondering what everyone thinks about these units going to a draw for archery and if you think the game and fish is planning to do this to more units. Do you think the success rate becomes to high so they need to limit the tags?

I like the idea of a few draw archery deer hunts. It creates some where for archers to go without being mobbed during the general season. I wouldn't mind if there were about 5 units that were archery draw. We are close now with the Kaibab, Strip and 3a/3c. Hopefully it will help increase trophy potential as well.

They are finally managing for trophy deer....should be real good in next few years but i bet 1 or 27 will be managed as a trophy unit after this 3 year trial is up.... jmo

Some units are managed for quality but most still for quantity..

3a/3c is part of the alternative management plan. The commission gave the dept the directive to create alternative management units in each region. Supposed to be at least 1 unit per region. The dept originally had 3a/3c slated for 125 archery tags but the ABA pushed for more tags at the hunt recomendation meeting and got them. This will probably be the only year there will be junior tags in 3a/3c as well. Next year they will move those junior tags to a different unit. You probably won't see 1 or 27 go alternative management as they are in the same region as the 3's I think... At least unit 1 is for sure. The dept is trying a couple things right now. The alternative management plan and the dec rifle hunts. They will generate more revenue with the dec rifle hunt structure vs the AMP. I like the Dec rifle hunt idea better myself. Both plans are designed to be for trophy quality deer but the Dec hunt plan makes the dept more money and I think sportsmen will like the dec hunts better. It will thin the bonus point pressure from residents on the strip and kiabab too. Both are good plans though and I hope we start seeing some boomers come from somewhere other than the strip and kiabab. I think we will and it will be great for the state when we do.

If I understand correctly the alternative managment plan in 3c is only on a 3 year plan, after the 3 years they have the option to scrap it or find another unit in the same region. That is why I think 27 or 1 will be the next alternative management unit. G and F had already made plans for 3c before the wallow fire took place.

How does the December hunt make more $ for AZGFD? The archery hunt in 3A/3C is 200 tags and the December rifle hunts are only 10 - 25 tags in any given unit. Do you figure that there will be enough application fees generated by the December hunts to make up the difference? Or more hunting licenses sold? Not trying to be critical, just trying to understand your opinion.

Because with the alternative management hunts they are dropping rifle tags quite a bit. On the dec hunts, they drop a few tags off the early rifle hunt and move them to late. They also count somthing we pay zero attention to and that's hunter days. An open archery unit is going to have 100's more hunter days than a archery draw unit. They can estimate so much revenue per huner day. More hunter days equals more revenue in the long run. 17 for example. They dropped 75 total tags between A and B and moved 25 of those to the late hunt. So they are down 50 tags in 17a and b, 50 tags they were going to drop anyway because of the buck/doe ratio guidlines. How many rifle tags did they drop in 3a/3c? I'm betting all told it was more than 50. Here's the biggest thing though. This year, there's only 5 units with late tags. But next year, that could double. I could see that happening for sure but I don't see them doubling AM areas. They could end up giving half the units in the state, or more, late hunts. More apps, more non-resident apps, more guys pulling out of the rat race on the strip and burning points. All in all, more attention paid to Arizona deer. Alternative mangement units just don't have the same kind of allure about them. You know?

As far as 1 or 27 getting the AM status, I'm not saying they wouldn't be better choices for it, I just don't see G and F doing it for quite a while. 3 years doesn't seem like enough time to make that big an impact on trophy quality. I think 3 years might be the bare minimum but they won't change it that fast. I would personally like to see them drop the whole AM idea altogether and put more Dec hunts out there. Just my opinion.

3A/3C doesn't suck. This is from one of my cameras.

post-3515-0-32125500-1340397895_thumb.jpg

Those are some great looking bucks. I am on the fence about alternative management. I know it serves its purpose but i don't like all the hunts becoming limited trophy draw.

Some of the best memories I have are grabbing a tag and bow and heading up to kiabab for an over the counter hunt. Those days are long gone. Again, I see the purpose but I cannot say at this point that I want this to happen to the whole state.

3A/3C doesn't suck. This is from one of my cameras.

man, that buck's got it going on!

James

I'm happy to say that this buck was taken on the jr's hunt. It's on the AZGFD website pics. I had an archery elk tag and had a few elk coming to this waterhole (as hidden as they get theses days). I found out my truck battery went dead after hiking out. A nice guy helped me out and told me his son had a mule deer hunt. I showed him the 100 or so pics and showed him exactly where these bucks were coming in from. They shot him opening morning from what I understend. He was well over 180. He sent me a thank you. Isn't this how it's supposed to work?

Lesson: Help people when thay have a dead batttery, especially when they are wearing camo.