Hey Galiuro Mountain Man

Thanks a lot for the feedback on pack camera`s, I really appreciate it. I just went to the Jesse`s site you posted a while back on trail camera`s. Man, this stuff is to cool! Gonna have to build one or two and try them out. I live in a desert area so I`ll have to try them on Mulie`s or coyotes. It`s pretty neat the way you guys are getting valuable info. Coyote`s killed our dog last December, So I have been busy gettin a little" Payback", I have called in and killed 8 Yotes and 1 Bobcat since they got our dog. The Freezer in My garage is gettin kinda full of Hides, so I guess I will start doing something a little more constructive. I`ll keep You posted. Thanks again. Coues Addict

Edited by coues addict

Guest Guest

Picked up my first roll of film and was very disappointed. I got two pictures of an elk. It was a small 6x6. The rest of the pics did not have anything in them. I had it set on a trail. I was wondering if the PIR sensor maybe picks stuff up out of view of the camera? Any tips for setting these up to get actual photos?

By the way, saw 4 coues does and 3 coues bucks this weekend. 1 of the bucks was about 100" and the other I saw really far away but had a big main beam, and the 1/2 second or so that I got to look through the spotter at it, it looked like it was about 100" + buck.

NMTcoueshunter

Tips for mounting trail cameras:

On a trail- I like to point the camera either up or down the trail so I get pics of them comming or going, and it also gives a little time for the camera to actually catch the animal. Also set it about 15' from a trail, the area the sensor views is cone shaped, and will be very narrow at the camera, something can get through the cameras range quickly up close.

At water or feed- choose a point where you feel you will get the best pictures, and center that area in what the picture will be, the camera has a pretty wide view, so you want to find a center point. On these type of setups I set the camera 8' to 15' from what I want a fhoto of.

Basic settings- I like to set mine North if I can, they seem to have less problems with the sun setting them off. Try to keep it facing N,NE, or NW.

I usually set them between 2' and 4' high, perfect hight for most animals, and it is harder to find. People are generally looking at the ground, or at their eye level, so they may miss it at 2' high.

I try to keep them from 8' to 15' away from where I think the animal will be, the beam from the motion sensor will be wider there and the cam will have time to take the picture. I try to limit distance to 15' because of night pictures, most flashes only reach to about 20' so the max distance is 25' that the flash will work somewhat effectively.

Birds will set them off too, when they fly through the beam, the camera will take a picture, but the bird is too fast.

Hope this helps

GMM

Thanks GMM. I hope to get it out and try it again. I might have had the cam set too close to the trail and been missing things. I had the camera set perpendicular to the trail, so I will give your tips a try. Thanks for the advice.

Well, might have got a bobcat photo last night. I got 3 pics in one night in a wash with a lot of tracks in it. There were fresh coyote and bobcat tracks on my 4wheeler tracks from that afternoon. It was just a one night set up then went and got it this morning, and just set it in my yard, I may get some pics of the squirrel that has been digging holes. I know I will get pics of my dog.

Anyways, hope my tips from earlier helps, if I remember any other tips I will post them. So far my setups have worked perfectly, only one photo without an animal in it.

Good luck, and good camming

GMM :ph34r:

I put my camera's on water holes and salt licks and very rarely doI get pic's with nothing in them. The suggestion about putting them no more than about 15 feet away is a good one. The cameras I'm using don't have a flash that is powerful enough to illuminate anything any further than that. If the animal is too far away at night sometimes you just get pictures of glowing eyes about 3 feet off the ground. It was also mentioned that you should try and face the camera to the north or NW. That's allgood advise, but sometimes it's just not possible. I have a salt lick in a little opening where the ONLY place to set up the camera is on a tree that faces directly south. I have yet to get a picture from that location with nothing in it, and there is nothing special about my cameras or techniques. I just set them up as best I can and come back in a couple weeks. My buddy did put out one of his cameras on a water tank I showed him and half the pictures ended up being stupid little chipmunks. Just keep trying until you find someting that works. Between my buddy and myself we have 5 cameras out working for us at just about any time and I plan on getting at least one more in the next couple months. We have several water tanks and salt licks that we rotate the cameras on, and we know what locations are producing bucks. In fact we even see the same deer coming in day after day. And what's real nice is the camera's will stamp the time the deer are coming in so we know if there is a good buck coming in. We also know how often he comes in, and generally what time of day he will come in. I love these cameras!!!!!!!

I just got a picture of 2 elk fighting from one of my trail cams. Two cows standing on their hind legs. Also got a pic of a bull.

Looks like there are even more good things about these cameras, you HAVE to got and check them!

:)

From my salt pictures I got several bulls. One was a spike that had not lost his rack yet, the others were bulls that had little nubs. I got some turkey and a bunch of does. No bucks.:)

Oh, and I got another picture of the fish and game officer that killed a buck from my treestand last year in January. I know that he is on this site a lot so if you are reading this, please try to leave my salt alone. I have two pictures of you at my salt.

Guest Ernesto C

Well TREESTANDMAN he knows now you warned him :D Remember First come First Served.....It's an Ethical Issue.

Ernesto C. :)

I agree with the first come first serve with water but this f&g officer knows me and knows that I established this salt. It just seems like common courtesy to keep his human scent off of the salt that he knows I hunt frequently.