Sign in to follow this  
audsley

Does target shooting cause wildfires?

Here's a quote from the Republic's story on the wildfire at Saratoga Springs, Utah:

"BLM officials say they believe the blaze was caused when a bullet hit a rock and sparked the fire. This is the 20th target-shooting related fire this year in Utah, they said."

Hmmm... Can a bullet striking a rock cause a spark that will ignite a brush fire? I really don't know. But here's what I do know.

For the past several years, federal land managers have been trying to restrict or eliminate target shooting on BLM and national forest lands. During lengthy discussions, focus groups and so on, I've heard the agencies' litany of complaints about target shooting including litter, damage to plants and trees, safety concerns and noise. But not once did I ever hear anyone suggest that a bullet striking a rock could start a wild fire. At least not until about a year ago when the Forest Service started talking about it.

It seems strange that people could shoot at targets for several decades without their bullets causing fires, at least not as far as anyone knew, and then suddenly federal land managers in Utah discover they've had 20 shooting-caused fires in a single year. If target shooting is setting the range on fire all over Utah, what's it been doing in Arizona, New Mexico, west Texas and other dry places where shooting on federal lands is popular?

I have no doubt that a bullet striking a rock will cause a spark, same as a horseshoe striking a rock. Or somebody tossing a rock that hits another rock. But would sparks like these be sufficient to ignite tinder?

I googled the subject and found nothing in the way of government reports or scientific data. Makes me wonder what Utah's BLM is basing its judgment on.

Maybe it's time one of us got out there with some ammo and a video camera and tried to find out if this is possible. Right now would be the time while humidity is still fairly low and there's dead grass around. I have my doubts that I can actually ignite a fire with a bullet and suspect the exercise might result in some good youtube material. But I'll be sure to clear the immediate area of tinder and keep some water close by just in case I'm wrong.

Someone on MM posted that the news reported that UT shooters were using tracer ammo.

iirc, the fire caused by shooters near Prescott (Paulden?) a few years ago was due to tracer ammo.

Yes tracers start fires very easily. Saw it happen a couple times at Camp Pendleton. Lol

I have no doubt tracer ammo can start fires, not to mention burning patches from muzzleloaders. But the news reports aren't specifying those kinds of things, and national forests are invoking seasonal bans on target shooting of all kinds.

Sorry but target shooting really does need to get under control. I see the total disregard for safety and cleanliness and policing of brass too much in this state. More shooting ranges might be the answer.

• Like 1

I love getting out and shooting in the desert but I dont mind when they ban shooting during these times when we have no rain and its rediculously dry out there. Its just not worth it with the possiblity of starting a fire. Go shoot at a developed range for the summer months.

• Like 1

For me the issue is really about whether the forest service or BLM is fabricating a bogus rationale for closing public lands to all types of target shooting. I believe they are.

Whether more controls are needed for safety and litter is an entirely separate question.

For a short while I was a Range Master at a local gun range. I can tell you from first hand experience that shooting can cause fires. At the range after several hours of shooting there is a build-up of unburnt powder forward of the shooting line. One nite that unburnt powder lit up like a Christmas tree and filled the range with smoke. Slow burning powder can land in some very dry grass or unburnt powder. I would say a less than .0005% chance of getting a fire started outside of a range where you get such a accumulation of "green" powder.

• Like 1

For me the issue is really about whether the forest service or BLM is fabricating a bogus rationale for closing public lands to all types of target shooting. I believe they are.

Whether more controls are needed for safety and litter is an entirely separate question.

Yes I agree here there is only two law enforcement officers covering ALL of the Coronado.

The fire that started off of the Duqesne road in the Patagonias last year was started by a target shooter shooting regular bullets... Guy tried to put it out but it got out of hand quick and ended up burning 4000+ acres...

• Like 1

I have no doubt that a bullet striking a rock will cause a spark, same as a horseshoe striking a rock. Or somebody tossing a rock that hits another rock. But would sparks like these be sufficient to ignite tinder?

Just FYI, I had told a couple years ago that the USFS documented a fire starting in Chevelon canyon due to persons throwing rocks from the top.

I think that the cheap steel-core ammo that some people shoot has a higher-than-average chance to ignite wildfires. I would prefer that people be very careful what they shoot at!

• Like 1

Dumba$$es http://www.thesmokinggun.com/documents/arizona-forest-fire-879543

ULY 2---The largest wildfire burning in Arizona was started during a bachelor party when one shotgun-toting celebrant fired a shell that promises to shoot “100 feet of fire, setting everything in its path ablaze,” The Smoking Gun has learned.

The Sunflower Fire--which has burned nearly 18,000 acres of the Tonto National Forest and is not fully contained--began in mid-May after five Arizona men gathered to celebrate the upcoming May 19 craigshifletinside.jpgnuptials of Bryan Reeder. The group--all in their mid-20s--traveled from Mesa to the Sycamore Creek area for a weekend “campout and bachelor party,” according to court records.

On Saturday, May 12, the quintet awoke and “began to target shoot in an area close to their camp,” a United States Forest Service agent reported in a sworn affidavit. About two hours into the target shooting, Craig Shiflet (pictured at right) loaded an “incendiary shotgun shell” into his Remington 12 gauge and fired the round.

.......A warning on the Fiocchi 12 gauge round’s packaging made its danger clear: “Shoots 100 feet of fire, setting everything in its path ablaze. Warning: Extreme FIRE HAZARD.”