Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

elk calling

this is my first rut hunt (actually 1st time even hopefully being a part of the rut). never even been in the forest during the rut. schools usually back in and DH is usually up helping people get bulls.

we have1 person who really knows how to call. we will be there for 2 weeks and he can only do 1week. there are 3 in our hunting party who have tags and caller doesn't have a tag.

I've never even tried calling except for the hoochie mama. u all may don't think it works (seems to be the consensus in the hunting world anyhow) but I've called in cows to within 10 yards not during the rut.

where do I start? I'd like to partner with the caller but I'm giving DH the caller. its been over 10 years since he's had a rut hunt himself. that will leave me and captain who both don't know how to call.

DH bought me and him a large bugle but I haven't tried it yet. seems kinda inconvenient to carry with a bow too.

This type of subject will give you as many responses are there are hunters. I like the hoochie mama call myself as well. If you have an early bow hunt you will likely just a cow call and wont need to bugle that much. If its still pretty warm the bigger bulls are more interested in just gathering and protecting their cows. You tube can give you tons of calls and how to use them as well. what unit were you drawn for?

I swear by the primos hyperlip single, its easy to use and just seems to call more in...My father and I go out and call em in during the rut every year in 5A just for the fun of it.

Try not to carry the call yourself if you can help it that way the elk will go past you and focus on the caller rather than you therefore giving you an opportunity to shoot.

If I was on my own or it was my first time calling I really would grab a primos hyperlip single and use it. Yes it can be cumbersome especially during archery season however the biggest mistake that elk hunters make (again in my opinion) is over calling.

In all the years we have been calling them in the biggest trophy bulls have just walked up on us without sounding off....every now and then I see them call but most of the time the just walk up looking for the fight or don't bother altogether. It seems the juveniles are more ready to duel all day long.

One turkey hunt we were in hunter orange and called 2 herds within 5 yards of us...they were so close we could smell them and I could have poked about 4 cows with my shotgun haha it was a great time. Just grab a call....practice with how too videos and then mimic what you hear when you are out in the field.

If your serious about learning to call elk, look up "elknut.com", Paul Medal.

Get his CDs. Pay attention and practice. Learn to use a diaphragm call.

6a.

I'm pretty much a spot and stalk type hunter. it pains me to sit still in a blind or stand. ill do it if i have to but id definitely rather not.

I'm not out for a trophy but I'd like a big bull. I know we all would...lol. on my rifle hunt a few years ago I passed on some spikes/rag horns, came home empty handed and don't overly regret it.

I just want to increase

6a.

I'm pretty much a spot and stalk type hunter. it pains me to sit still in a blind or stand. ill do it if i have to but id definitely rather not.

I'm not out for a trophy but I'd like a big bull. I know we all would...lol. on my rifle hunt a few years ago I passed on some spikes/rag horns, came home empty handed and don't overly regret it. even though I'm newer to hunting myself I've been tagging along for more than a decade.

I just want to increase my odds by being well rounded.

If your serious about learning to call elk, look up "elknut.com", Paul Medal.

Get his CDs. Pay attention and practice. Learn to use a diaphragm call.

Yep

Lots of bulls in 6A eager to check out a cow call. I like the Carlton hyper cow, go down a ridge and do 30 minute settups and see what comes in to take a look. Listen for the bugles, the herd will attract a lot of satelite bulls and things can get crazy! Do your settups and keep your confidence up. If that doesn't work bugle every once and awhile to see where they are then move in that direction and do your cow calls. Don't be afraid to try some tree raking to get a bull excited. You have plenty of time, just move around and try different things. Most of all have fun, that's what its all about!

Any call other than a hoochie mama. Most over used call in elk hunting IMO. +1 on elknut.com. Do not bugle much, you will tend to call in more hunters than elk. (They usually come in pushing thier hoochie mama.) You can't mistake the sound that call makes. Hyperlip single is really easy and can make a wide range of noises. From cow-calf - excited cow and so on. Diaphrams are great when the bull is in close. No hands required and will make the animal stop so you get your shot. If I am going to bugle, I use a real weak bugle. You do not want to sound like the biggest bull in the woods. If you sound too big, the bull you are calling will go quiet. ( Hence he doesn't want to get his arse kicked, he just wants a cow.) Now if you are after a herd bull, it gets considerably more difficult. Good luck on your hunt.

I'm not telling you NUFFIN, 'cause I have the same hunt! :P

All the times I've hunted 6A, and its been a while since I actually hunted! Everybody out there is blowing calls like crazy, from sun up to sun down all you hear is the years hottest Primos products! I'd be suprised if people arn't already calling to Elk as they are scouting/camping. My plan is soft cow calling sparenly, and let everyone else bugle to locate. Its going to be a dang zoo on opening day, and the second weekend is going to be worse!

I have the same hunt, too, and I've been working on my calling. Haven't had much luck with the reed calls so far--my usual response is my wife asking me to please stop. :unsure: I bought the elknut playbook but I have a really hard time hearing the difference in the different sounds. Cow sounds mostly sound like other cow sounds and bull sounds mostly sound like other bull sounds to me.

I'm probably going to be up there the whole time on my own. My dad might come for a couple of days but most of my hunting buddies have hung up their guns over the years and none of them shoot a bow. Do any of you have suggestions on single set-ups or where I can find good info/diagrams? Other than keeping the wind in my face, I'm a little lost on bowhunting elk.

I'm probably going to be up there the whole time on my own. My dad might come for a couple of days but most of my hunting buddies have hung up their guns over the years and none of them shoot a bow. Do any of you have suggestions on single set-ups or where I can find good info/diagrams? Other than keeping the wind in my face, I'm a little lost on bowhunting elk.

Scout and find out where elk are feeding, meadows etc. then look for where they are bedding, thick stuff. Settup between the 2, do what you can for scent elimination (I use Scent Away spray), put out a decoy if you have one, and do some cow calls. Move several hundred yards every 30 minutes or longer and watch for bulls sneaking in. If you're not particular about what you shoot you should get plenty of small bulls coming in to check you out. Like I said before I use the Carlton cow call but do like the primos hot lips also.

Some great advice here.

The Arizona Elk Society has there Elk Hunting Clinic coming up on July 28. Check out our facebook or website, www.arizonaelksociety.com. We have World Champion elk caller Al Morris to teach about elk hunting and calling. Also Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse has free elk hunting and calling seminars coming up in July and August. Check out there websites and the flyers in the mail.

Another great place to learn is at events like the AES work projects. Many of the volunteers are diehard elk hunters and more than willing to help teach people about hunting. The subject always comes up after dinner.

Steve

Thanks for the replies. I will definitely be out scouting this summer--hopefully 3-4 times, including my OTC archery deer tag hunt in August. I'm hoping to locate some less congested areas, even if it means fewer elk. I'm not particular--I'd say I'm at the 'it's brown (and has antlers), it's down' mentality for my first archery attempt at AZ elk. Heck, I'd probably think the same on a rifle hunt. Need to put that first one on the ground.

I do plan on being at the AES clinic on 7/28 if I can move vacation dates around. I've been on one of the AES work projects before--didn't pick up any tips but it was a great time for a great cause--and hoped to make Buck Springs this month, but it doesn't look good since we're buying a house.

I don't even really know what I don't know yet about bow hunting or hunting in general. It's tough to learn when you get lessons so many years apart in the AZ draw ;)

• Like 1

I would use any other call than the Hoochie Mama. I know several people have called elk in using this call however if you want to call in a good bull I wouldn't use it. Almost every other hunter in the woods owns a Hoochie Mama and I've seen several bulls heading in the opposite direction of this call. On more than one occasion I've started to work bulls in just to have another hunter start using that call and the bull would shut up. Just my two cents.