Sign in to follow this  
BIGAZHUNTER14

Gov. tag

If my memory is right, seems like at least a couple of the special tag holders over the last few years have waited till the end of July. I would guess they've got their eyes on some bulls with a lot of promise and are waiting till they are done growing.

acttr?p=YTIwNTA2MzgyNzWssodcgWbnayJ4E3B3PBQyXfi3VP9ooVK5zMi6Fi%2FN%2FKrww5FxfxULAzLAHo3WWkrqj6qD2B0IsWIj3Qi6vvmv1ZKQAPiPpThp4DnVlIQFjoVLguJmLYzLp2P41dkh8sRtr3ioDLJbIN6RlGp8sUumLrVykGAbhk3AdS36GWTTjA%3D%3D&v=1&a=new_trck%3A%09false%092%09520%09undefined%09false%09CSS1Compat%09RG&t=1341703779259my uncle-in-law has had a few calls from his outfitter over the past couple months asking him where the ''big bulls'' are. and now he only wants a 6x6 soon. i will post pics of the kill after he gets one down.

I talked to my Uncle today, and he said they are watching some huge bulls. They have a lot of growing left to do, hopefull he connects soon.

Well two tags were determined last night at the SCI banquet: 2 governor's tags, javelina and WT. The Javelina went for $700 and the WT went for $15K.

why do they seem to wait til the end of the year? they have a whole year to find one and every year there are big ones especially when you have the whole state and I'm sure guides. we all get 7-14 days to fill our tags and that's only if you take off the whole hunt which most people cant do. Sept/Oct of last year held many hard horned big bulls. just doesn't make sense to me.

The reason they wait is; they usally get the tag and then have to line up a guide and that takes time, since most guides are already booked up when you find out you got this tag. Then after the guides are not so busy, the bulls are post rut, they are then broken up and generally a lot tougher to find. They move considerably less and are a heck of a lot harder to find in the late season. Then the elk lose their horns and are not worth shooting until they re-grow them. That brings us to the end of their tag, and also gives their guide/guides all year to find a giant elk and watch him while he has no hunting pressure. They are easy to pattern then and can be easily compared with other bulls to figure out which one is the one they are after. Once they figure which one they want, they then need to wait until the absolute end of their hunt to make sure their bull has completed growing his horns and they harvest him with his biggest set of horns possible. Hopefully this makes sense.

why do they seem to wait til the end of the year? they have a whole year to find one and every year there are big ones especially when you have the whole state and I'm sure guides. we all get 7-14 days to fill our tags and that's only if you take off the whole hunt which most people cant do. Sept/Oct of last year held many hard horned big bulls. just doesn't make sense to me.

Because when your wealthy and powerful you can wait till the last day, fly in on your helicopter shoot it and be done. Then light up a big cigar and celebrate!

• Like 2