Allen asked for a little help posting some of his pics. I'm going to just throw them up here, and assume he'll jump in with some comentary on each one.

I recognize two of the trophies! That big ol' coues, and that good lookin' kid (obviously takes after his mom....). :D Also, I'm no expert but that pronghorn looks mighty big!!

Nice pics Allen!

S.

:D

Allensstuff001-copy.jpg

Allensstuff002.jpg

Allensstuff003-copy-copy.jpg Allensstuff004-copy-copy.jpg

Allensstuff005-copy.jpg Allensstuff006-copy.jpg

Allensstuff007-copy.jpg Allensstuff008-copy.jpg

IMG_0697.JPG

Thanks Stanley, I will call you and figure out how to post the pictures, one step at a time though, I am doing good just taking the digital picts and getting them on the UMPUTER...........LOL............

Basically I wanted to put up the pictures of my deer that represent the Deer Slam I pursued. The coues deer rounded out my slam. There is my first norther whitetail, first muley, the pics of Travis holding the horns are two columbia blacktail and one small Sitka blacktail. Now I need to upgrade to a big muley (if I ever draw) and a big Sitka. My first and only hunt on Kodiak was great but I didnt see any big deer so I have a longing to go back and get a good one. The antelope is my best from Wyoming............. 75" with a tip broken off fighting.........thanks again for posting the pics stan, I will take more and try posting myself................Allen............

Allen,

I was going to ask you to give a story about your kodiak hunt, but Tony has the query out already. I too am going in October, the 20-28, and it'll be the first time to AK. Good luck, Tony. They say this could be the best year in many, due to the long string of mild winters. How are you going to be hunting the island and what part?

Doug~RR

Doug,

I'll be there from Oct. 7-14, which seems a bit early to me. BUT...I didn't have a choice. I'm going with the folks from the USSA. We'll be hunting/fishing off a boat, with daily trips into the beach to play with the deer and bears. The outfit is Ninilchik Charters .. Not sure where we'll be hunting. -TONY

I need to know how you all do on your Sitka hunts. It's the last deer I need for my "slam" :lol:

deerslm002.jpg

I went self guided and just used a boat as a base camp. I believe they classify it as a transporter only where the skipper and deckhand cant do anything but drop you off at various locations. I paid somewhere around 1600.00 to stay on the boat which included food/lodging. I could buy extra tags from the skipper on the boat. We flew into Kodiak and he picked us up the next moorning at the docks. We left Kodiak harbor and went to the around the island to a small island called Uganik. I was there in late November and the bays had frozen over from all the runoff so we were limited to areas. Had a great time but would go earlier next time due to the weather problems we ran into. Tony/Doug, hope you guys shoot some nice bucks and watch out for the bears, they do respond to gun shots and come in on you after you have shot your deer, so keep your eyes open...........Allen.........p.s. take good rain gear like cabela's dry plus or you will be miserable..............

That's pretty much how the outfit I'm going with operates -- no guides. Once ashore, we're on our own. I did a similar hunt years ago for caribou on the Mulchatna River. We had a nice camp to stay in, and someone would ferry us on the river each day and drop us off to hunt. Then they would return to pick us up that evening.

RE: bears

Ironically, just yesterday I watched an hour-long show on the NG channel about two deer hunters who were attacked by bears on the SAME day on Kodiak. Both had just killed deer prior to the attacks. One died at the attack site, and the other managed to drag his bleeding body down the mountain to where his hunting partners were waiting on him. He survived to tell his story. -TONY

Nose to the wind... Buskin River- Kodiak - the last frontier....

post-898-1152066471.jpg

Tony,

The NG Channel website did not indicate when that episode will reaire.

What were the causes of the encounters? Did the hunter return to the kill site that a bear had claimed? Did the bear answer the dinner shot/bell quickly? were they hunting alone and no one on lookout? Ambushed in the alders carrying meat? Sow and cubs?

Doug

Doug,

The show was one of four in the "Hunter and Hunted" series. There was also one on gators in Fla., baboons in Africa and one other. I ran thru the menu for COX and it shows three of them reruning on 7/9 around midday, but the deer segment isn't one of them. :lol:

Both of the guys were hunting alone, and both were in the process of field-dressing their deer when they were attacked. The one who died actually shot the bear that had attacked him, but all they could do was reconstruct what they *thought* happened from what they found at the scene. In the reenactment, they showed the hunter shooting while it was already moving in on him. But before the guy could get off another, the bear was on him. The whole area showed signs of a long struggle, with lots of blood spread over everything. And yes, they found the bear dead, too, but it had gone quite aways before dying.

If I recall, the bear that attacked the guy who survived was fairly small as the Kodiak browns go, perhaps under 300 lbs. They concluded the size helped the guy survive because the bear's jaw spread was quite a bit smaller than an adult's, thus not able to inflict as much damge with his bite.

Tony- Thanks for the summary. The guy I'm going with said not to worry about the bears. He's only had one problem on a beach in over 20 years. But I hear and read of other side of the coin. Never had a problem backpacking in Yellowstone, Glacier, or the Black River.

Doug

Well, I haven't had a car wreck in more than 35 years either, but..... :D

Saw two dandy silvertips when I was hunting blacks in BC two years ago. But the area was on a quota of ONE tag, and my outfitter wasn't the one that had it. It was still neat watching them through the binocs from 150 yards away. I did get a good black, though. It was the third big one I've killed there with the same outfitter. The rug on the wall is an AZ bear, though. See below. -TONY

bearmt2opt.jpg

Hey TONY, did Marc Plunkett mount that life-size for you? I saw one that was just about finished that looked exactly like yours. I just remembered being awe-struck at how beautiful the coat was on that bear! It was incredibly perfect like it just came out of a hair salon and was a perfect cinnamon color phase through-out. It was a while ago when I was picking up my life-size that I saw it but I swear it looked just like yours in that photo? B.T.W........You did a great job writing an article for some past clients of mine, the Noble family and there AZ Bulls, it was a couple of years ago, but I just wanted to say thanks, it was a great article! JIM>