Sign in to follow this  
m77

Yellowfin Tuna Fishing - Hawaii

Had three on at once. We only landed this one. Had a great day on the water and plenty of fresh fish for dinner. Sashimi on the dock. Can't beat it.post-397-0-63961000-1342161177_thumb.jpg

Good job! Looks like a lot of fun! I go to San Diego to fish for them when they get close enough of a 1.5 day trip. I thought the boats owned the tuna you catch and sold them to Japan?

Charter boats in Hawaii due own the fish. There is a fish market in Honolulu that they take the fish to sell at auction. The fish don't always sell. Then the owner must go back to the auction and retrieve the fish. The charter boat I go out on the owner allows the fishermen to keep the catch and split the catch among them. Sometimes he gets tourist that don't want the fish and then he takes them to the auction. I don't believe any fish go to Japan, they have plenty of commercial fishing fleets over fishing the oceans.

Nice fish. That will be some good eating.

I don;t like it that charter boats get to keep fish. If I'm paying big bucks, I want to keep some. My buddy went to Aruba on Vacation and caught some fish, the captain gave him a few small ones and kept all the big ones

M77,

Is your charter boat the expection to letting the fisherman keep the tuna instead of selling the tuna at auction? If so, sounds like a boat I WOULD fish when/if I get to Hawaii. What is the name of your charter?

The Charter is:

Hickam Deepsea Charter Fishing

Sonny Revera is the owner/operator/captain/fish cleaner/sashimi chef

A couple numbers to call:

(888) 432-1691

808-864-9997

Sonny now operates two boats out of the same location. He's a great guy, but like any guide cannot guarantee a catch.

Sure looks like a good time. I only fished in the big pond once out of San Diego and told them I would be back when they stocked it. Wouldn't it be great to get a CWT fishing trip planned out of San Diego? I'ld jump on board. Thanks for sharing your fish with us.

TJ

Sure looks like a good time. I only fished in the big pond once out of San Diego and told them I would be back when they stocked it. Wouldn't it be great to get a CWT fishing trip planned out of San Diego? I'ld jump on board. Thanks for sharing your fish with us.

TJ

Sounds fun! But you know it would fall on a weekend you had to work!!

TJ

Oh no it won't. lol As of now my work schedule for next year has me working 4/10s with every weeekend off. No more missing projects, banquets, and our first ever San Diego Fishing Adventure. I wonder how many would sign up and who would be willing to put something like that together?

TJ

TJ

Oh no it won't. lol As of now my work schedule for next year has me working 4/10s with every weeekend off. No more missing projects, banquets, and our first ever San Diego Fishing Adventure. I wonder how many would sign up and who would be willing to put something like that together?

TJ

sounds like you should put it together then!!

TJ

TJ

No thanks, just checked and I have to work that weekend. lol

TJ

TJ

TJ

No thanks, just checked and I have to work that weekend. lol

TJ

Didn't you mention something about retiring next year?

m77 - how much did that fish weigh? what island were you fishing out of? nice catch! fresh ahi is one of my favorites. tops probably only ono and AK halibut.