Sign in to follow this  
AZ_SAWBUCK

IS THE BEAR STILL ON THE LOOSE?

I know that there are other post on the bear attacks near Tonto Village on this site but I figured I would chime in on the latest news I have just heard. On news channel three this morning they reported that none of the DNA from the three bears that were killed matches the DNA from the bear that did the attacks. I dont want to sound like a animal rights activist but was this the right move by the state athorities? Could they have put the bears to sleep and waited for results? Will they keep taking out every bear they see until they get one that matches the agressive bears DNA? How will this effect the harvist limit in unit 22 this spring?

Only one bear was ruled out. The other two had inconclusive results so there is a chance it was one of them.

I see your point though. Last report I heard from a few days ago is that they do still have traps set in the surrounding areas.

I was told that a bunch of Bureaurocrat BS got in the way of azgfd and the forest service catching this bear. Instead of contacting one of the many houndsmen in the area right away, they had to wait on paperwork and a government trapper to get here with dogs not suited for this country. In the mean time they put out their traps and started baiting. Of course they attracted more bears and by the time the trapper got here there were several bears to chase and kill easily. None of the DNA matched from the bears killed. I'm not surprised. :(

This is how it was put to me by a very reliable source. I actually don't have any facts to back this up. Anyone hear the same?

TJ

I've heard pretty much the same thing that tjhunt2 said. Not from any government or state official but from the people that live up there. We have a cabin in Bonita creek so everytime we are up there we hear scoop. You would think they would put a hurry on something like that after the 2nd or even 3rd attack but with anything state or government everything has to be authorized and takes time. My opinion anyways.

The United States Government - Protecting and Serving the S**T Out of You.

• Like 1

Hey desertbull I mean no disrepect in what I said and when it's comes to the government and our armed forces. We have contracts with State and government and I know how long it takes stuff to go thru. A boss has to go to his boss and get a PO for anything to happen in my line of work. Like tj said it is a process for them to get contracted people in for the job at hand. AGAIN I don't hate America and sorry if I came off that way

My cousin that is now deceased worked for game and fish in Oregon and went on to ducks unlimited as a wildlife biologist. A few years ago he was telling me they were dealing with this type of thing but it was a lion not a bear. Instead of local trappers and guys that run dogs they had to do the paper work and a week later a contracted dog runner went out, shot a lion and wasn't matched up in DNA. So the lion that was first attacking animals, then moved on to people protecting their animals, was never caught as far as I know. I'm not on here to start problems just to talk like everyone else. If you you know something I don't please tell?

• Like 1

Hey desertbull I mean no disrepect in what I said and when it's comes to the government and our armed forces. We have contracts with State and government and I know how long it takes stuff to go thru. A boss has to go to his boss and get a PO for anything to happen in my line of work. Like tj said it is a process for them to get contracted people in for the job at hand. AGAIN I don't hate America and sorry if I came off that way

NO worries at all. I'm just saying it the red tape that prevents common sense from taking care of things. Too much bureaucracy.

Reminds me of the movie jaws

And Sasquatch......... :lol:

Is there any word on them re-opening the campgrounds? I heard it was supposed to be the 16th, now it looks like it was further extended. Between the fire restrictions and bear restrictions there is not anywhere to go!! I live up here, and it sure is hard to enjoy my hikes when every trail is closed. I understand the need for this, however it has NOT stopped people at all from coming in here and camping, having fires, and target shooting.