DBArcher

Pears on the san carlos

Kinda feeling like this is a long shot but Im wondering if anyone knows how the pears look down on the san carlos, ill be there in a few weeks trying to whack a bear with my recurve, last year we couldnt find the pears so im just curious if anyone knows. Thanks Daniel

I haven't been over there. but the lack of rain in central Arizona have made for poor fruit set and development on most of the prickly pears I've encountered. Hope they received more rain.

right now the bears are on the juniper berries and the manzinita berries and the jojoba beans if ya can find an area with any kinda acorn mast - they will stay put. in the deep draws - pray for more rain for anykinda pears.

Thats kinda what I was dreading, we found some acorns last year in a deep canyon, gonna hang up around willow mountain possibly. Daniel

The pears are pretty spotty throughout the res. I saw some that will be ripe in a week and in other areas nothing or just budding. Acorn crops pretty much the same.

Forget the pears. Just find a dead cow and the bears will show up. There are usually several dead around the Arsenic Ranch area. Try calling around Dry Lake. David

My buddy actually shot his bear last year near a dead cow by midnight, It looks like its gonna be another run and gun year

I agree with azhunt.. hunting over dead beef can be a great way to hunt on the res, but If you're smart you'll shoot one before it starts eating on the cow. I snuck up on one while he had his upper body buried in the cows body cavity, as I approached I caught a whiff of the rotting cow, after gagging I decided to go find a much cleaner bear. LOL Hunting pear is great, but I've had really good luck calling on the res.

I prefer the Sceery rack rabbit in distress. To be honest the technique is much more important than the brand or type of call.

We are gettin lots of rain up here in the Prescott area anyone know what the rain has been like down near the rez?