Sign in to follow this  
Justin Stahl

Need help with trail cam

Looking to get some new trail cams, what is out there now days. Dont want spend alot because there is some D!#* out there that will get it some day. Thanks for the info! Oh and how much are these cams Amanda is selling?

To each his own however I have used Primos Truth Cam 35. They run $80-100. I have nothing but good things to say about them and I have never had an issue with the Picture/Videos.

I have a couple of the higher end Primos as well and they preform great but they were the first ones I purchased so I go with the cheaper ones now.

They are about 4 years old....been out in rain/heat/snow and they all still preform like new.

Moultrie M-80 can be found for under $150 dollars. The pictures I updated today are from that camera and have not had any problems with it.

Here's a few pics to give you an idea of the pic quality from a few years ago...this is with the primos model #35

Bear was messin' with my cam but it shows the picture clarity and when the sun is out they have great color

post-8413-0-04637100-1342462067_thumb.jpg

post-8413-0-34888600-1342462134_thumb.jpg

post-8413-0-89757500-1342462346_thumb.jpg

I have all the new Covert models in and I think you will like them! They run in price from about $129 to $350 depending on which model you choose. The most expensive models are the black infrared that send photos to your phone/email.

The Coverts have amazing battery life and you can run the cameras on just 4 AA batteries or add more batteries for longer life. Most will hold 8 batteries, some 12. But you only need four to run the camera.

the Red40 and MP6 now have the moon phase and temp stamps on them as well as date and time.

you can check out the cameras in the new store

I used the Covert MP6 for the first time this year. So far so good . I love the time Lapse option.

The Primos work well too !

Here's a few pics to give you an idea of the pic quality from a few years ago...this is with the primos model #35

Bear was messin' with my cam but it shows the picture clarity and when the sun is out they have great color

I don't have any prior experience with the Coverts, but I do have first hand experience with the Primos. The coverts seem to be BA cameras, but i havn't had the pleasure of using one yet. Like ready to hunt i have a primos 35 also and it is a bad mamjamba it has been reliable as heck. It has incredible reliablity and range this is nearly 25 yards more or less and triggers the shutter and catches game. The primos is only a hundred bucks.PRMS0118.jpgPRMS0255.jpgPRMS0300.jpg

I just ordered the Moultrie M-100 with security box for $138.00.

I liked the option to view the card on a screen on the camera. I'll have it out this weekend and report on its performance in 2 weeks.

Used the moultries the last few years and they worked fine, a little heavy and hard to point comapred to what is out now. I have the spypoint tiny cams for this year but have not got to use them enough to comment. I really like the covert and the battery life Amanda and others are getting is pretty impressive so a couple of those may be next on my list. The good news is all of the cameras have gotten a LOT better in the last 3 years or so.

How do most people set their cameras, always wondered this? 1 min, 3 shot burst, 5 min, etc.

One thing I learned is that taking a bunch of shots of the same thing wasted a lot of my time sorting through pictures, memory, etc. I was so worried I would miss something but most of the animals don't move that fast and a couple of pictures of the same animal are usually enough. Curious what others do.

Not to steal Justins thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Is there any out there that you guys would absolutely stay away from?

Used the moultries the last few years and they worked fine, a little heavy and hard to point comapred to what is out now. I have the spypoint tiny cams for this year but have not got to use them enough to comment. I really like the covert and the battery life Amanda and others are getting is pretty impressive so a couple of those may be next on my list. The good news is all of the cameras have gotten a LOT better in the last 3 years or so.

How do most people set their cameras, always wondered this? 1 min, 3 shot burst, 5 min, etc.

One thing I learned is that taking a bunch of shots of the same thing wasted a lot of my time sorting through pictures, memory, etc. I was so worried I would miss something but most of the animals don't move that fast and a couple of pictures of the same animal are usually enough. Curious what others do.

I worried that same time and ended up filling my card with tons of usless pictures. I finally just spent the money on a very large sim card and set it at every min. I figured that if I have the camera out there long enough that if I miss an animal that they would eventually show up agian and i can get them then.

So for me I set it at every 3 min. 1 picture at a time. No video...a picture is worth 1000 words so my camera says a lot haha

I just bought 3 from Target today. Lexar, 8GB, Platinum II SDHC. For some reason they are $9.99 and it was a rare occasion that they beat the web prices.

When I used to fill them up they were the old cards 1GB I think on my Moultrie a lot of pictures were of the wind, bugs, shadows shifting, some animals, etc. This is when I decided I did not need constant pictures at all the highest settings and that the sun should not be shining directly to the camera. Like I said I used to worry i was going to miss something.

We need a sticky on setting up game cameras! Oh wait we have one but I wasn't even aware of this site when I started messing with the game cams.

What size and how much are you guys paying for SD cards?

I think mine is a 4g and it cost like 20 bucks more or less.

Not to steal Justins thread, but I'm kind of in the same boat. Is there any out there that you guys would absolutely stay away from?

I stay away from the moultire 55 Gamespy it sucks big time! JLW has had the same problem with his so its not just an isolated lemon, but the model itself from the factory. It misses pictures, and turns off at random.