Sign in to follow this  
Airbusdriver

36B: Any experiences or feedback?

I was included in a group application, and we were drawn for 36b (deer).

Does anyone have any experience hunting in that unit? and do you have any tips?

Thanks.

Well said mklong40. There are a lot of deer in there, you just gotta put the work in to find them (like everywhere else). The main spots mentioned on the G&F website will have the highest hunter densities. If you really want to get into the deer and stay away from other hunters, you're going to have to do some hiking and get off the roads about a mile. There are 800 tags for the 36B hunts so it will be crowded.

Which hunt did you draw? Early, middle, or late?

If it helps, here is something I posted in the past:

Here we go:

-In my opinion, it is one of the most beautiful and peaceful units to hunt in.

-This said, ALWAYS carry a side weapon as there might be characters particular to 36B who would like to spoil the peace.

-Start getting in shape; unit 36B is rough and better hunting is within the canyons.

-Come mid September start scouting.

-Come into the unit from different parts; west through Ruby Rd. off 19., or go east from Arivaca, travel west through Peck Canyon etc..etc..You'll need a 4x4 for better canyons.

-You can take a day trip for scouting or stay overnight, especially during the cool evenings of October, before the hunt.

-800 tags never fill up and it is rare that you run into another hunter in a given area except in camping grounds.

-I, by choice, hunt in 36B and I always make arrangements to be comfortable...IN EVERY WAY!

Best of luck,

AHB

I second keeping a side arm on you at all time. Pretty sure I ran into almost as many illegals (even drug packing ones) as deer last year. Keep your head on a swivel.

Every time I head down there I carry a sidearm. Especially when scouting. During the hunt there are a ton of other hunters out there, but scouting it's just you and the wilderness. Make sure you lock up all your stuff in camp or it can and will go missing. That's the hunt I'm getting a leftover for, maybe I'll see you down there.

I was in there a few years ago, didn't see but one illegal, heard a bunch of them every night though. Deer are easy to pick out but def gotta get away from the crowds. My dad killed his last buck in there, it went 87", but we saw 4 or 5 that were bigger, just couldn't get on them. Ace High Benny is right though, beautiful country so take lots of pictures. And as always, bring a sidearm with you wherever you go. We heard some semi-auto fire on a few occasions...

Wow, there will be more people from the Aviation Sector in 36B than any other unit :)

AHB

Thanks for the reminder re sidearm. I carry a S&W .357 with 6" barrel ALWAYS when I'm scouting/hunting, regardless of geographic area. I was bow hunting up north one time, sensed something/someone was looking at me. Out of the corner of my eye, a mountain lion was in a crouch 30' away. My handy Smith saved my bacon; as soon as I cocked, the lion took off.

If anyone sees me out there in 36b, be sure to say "hi"...I'll be the one wearing cammo :P

If anyone sees me out there in 36b, be sure to say "hi"...I'll be the one wearing cammo :P

You say that joking but I'd say that at least half of the hunters I saw out there last year were in street clothes. I had one guy in a red flannel shirt and jeans hike up the hill I was glassing (from the back side) and plop down a lawn chair. He sat there with his gun in his lap for about 20 minutes before a buck came right over the hill in front of him. He stood up, shot it, threw it over his shoulder, packed up his lawn chair and walked back over the hill like that was just how he planned it.

The dude didn't have binos or anything. That was deflating to say the least.

• Like 1