Sign in to follow this  
bearbowman

How long to leave trail cam?

Well I'm going out of two for two weeks, and wondering if I should pull my cam down. It's been up for about three weeks with no problems, but I know the area is highly traveled and it's only a matter of time till someone stubbles apon it. So what I'm asking is if you guys think i should leave it or pull it and put it back up when I get home?

Well I'm going out of two for two weeks, and wondering if I should pull my cam down. It's been up for about three weeks with no problems, but I know the area is highly traveled and it's only a matter of time till someone stubbles apon it. So what I'm asking is if you guys think i should leave it or pull it and put it back up when I get home?

Hey bearbow man you posted some great pics right already of 3 velvet bucks and a turkey right? Every area is different if you haven't seen any foot prints on the way or around your camera that is a plus. But everyday it gets closer to August more people will be out in the woods, and it could have more exposure. Its just if its exposed to the wrong person it could be devastating. If you are going to be gone for two weeks then that leaves two weeks till the opener when you get back. I say taking it out would not hurt your chances, of tagging out as long as you have your cam in a safe hot spot the last two weeks before the opening friday.

However, everyday it gets closer to August I have super high camera anxiety that mine will not be there when i go to retrieve it.

i leave mine up to about the end of July. Then i would pull them till after early archery deer is done if my cam was in the southern part of the state. After the archery hunt i would put them back out to see if bucks are still around, been pushed out, etc.

Good luck

I'd say take it down...I never leave mine up after the first week in august. Too many people.

I'd say take it down...I never leave mine up after the first week in august. Too many people.

Yeah thats for sure Chris, I have two out right now and am praying that they are still there. It's a small celebratory event when I walk up and there still there. I will be pulling mine this weekend.

Yeah thats for sure Chris, I have two out right now and am praying that they are still there. It's a small celebratory event when I walk up and there still there. I will be pulling mine this weekend.

Haha! True that...that last 10 yards before my cams become visible I have a lump in my throat wondering if they are still there.

Yeah it's pretty smart to pull them in August traffic gets crazy busy in every unit it seems come August. When everyone pulls their cams be sure to post results. I hope everyones Cams are still there.

I have a little happy dance I do everytime I see my camera where I left it. Lets just hope no one has camera around mine cause a picture of this white guy dancing is bad news.

we had a strap cut on one of them last week. the camera was misplaced but either it was some sort of "warning" or the lock and chain kept them from stealing it.

if it was a warning, we'll be sure and hunt all around that water hole in a couple weeks and i sure hope I don't happen to mess up anyones hunt who may be sitting a tree stand on said water hole ;0)

I leave mine up all the time. But they are not on water or in places of heavy traffic.

My thought is that it's not doing me any good sitting in the house...I have never had one stolen or bothered at all by humans. If one gets stolen I may change my mind but maybe not. I have 4 out now and can't wait to check them in a week.

I posted this somewhere in one of these forums but I always put mine up high with a tree climber. If they want it bad enough they will need to somehow shimmy up the tree and then cut the cable. This also keeps them from getting the chip too. I put them about 12 feet off the ground. I now use a red dot flashlight glued to the top of the camera box positioned so that when I point it at the spot I want it to face, it centers the picture. This way you don’t have to keep going up and down the tree to check if its faced correctly. Works like a champ and takes great pictures too. Less chance of wind blowing limbs and things to set the camera off as well.

GBA

post-8760-0-65394800-1345149958.jpg

I posted this somewhere in one of these forums but I always put mine up high with a tree climber. If they want it bad enough they will need to somehow shimmy up the tree and then cut the cable. This also keeps them from getting the chip too. I put them about 12 feet off the ground. I now use a red dot flashlight glued to the top of the camera box positioned so that when I point it at the spot I want it to face, it centers the picture. This way you don't have to keep going up and down the tree to check if its faced correctly. Works like a champ and takes great pictures too. Less chance of wind blowing limbs and things to set the camera off as well.

GBA

post-8760-0-65394800-1345149958.jpg

this is one of the best tips I've read in a while. Makes a lot of sense and probably also let's you see the antlers better. Does it?