AZHUNTER05

Anyone use a good gps smart phone app?

Backcountry Navigator Pro is a good one! You can download the topo maps for the area you want before your trip so that you can access them when you are in the field without 3g coverage.

My GPS died the other day and I used my phone instead to record waypoints and look at the topo map to plan the rest of my survey.

https://play.google....r.license&hl=en

• Like 3

Cool i downloaded the demo version so i can check it out! Does it show you your location when you don't have cell service? Thx for the info.

BackCountry is good and you can add BLM map layers for $7.99 it has most of the basic features you need. I used BackCountry last year and still use it but I a trying out Cabelas new app. Trimble maps are very good with a lot more map choices. Trimble is the company that is responsible for Cabela's Recon. I would use the Cabela's version if you think there is any chance you may sign up for Cabela's Recon Elite serivice. I it is a bit steep at $29.99 per year but it has some great features such as unit map and BLM outlines. The Cabela's product also allows you to set up trips on your computer via their site and then easily sync them on your phone. You also get ballistics info for factory loads, and geo-caching features. They seem to be actively developing other features based on user feedback which is good to see. If you are willing to bite the bullet the Cabela's app and services seem to be very good. I tried not to like the tool because the price is steep but it works and is very straightforward but Unit & BLM layers are great to have an setting everything up on your computer and then turning on your phone and pushing sync is the easiest way to build an accurate trip plan wit the right maps I have found. I hope to play with it a bit more and come back with an review of the app compared to a few others.

Remember you need to cache the maps you want on your phone before you go into the field or the screen will be blank once you lose your cell signal.

• Like 1

Cool i downloaded the demo version so i can check it out! Does it show you your location when you don't have cell service? Thx for the info.

Yes, as long as you previously downloaded the maps it will show your position on them. You can change the coordinates too....I use UTMs and some apps don't let you change to them, this one does. You can also choose how accurate you want the GPS location to be. And when you mark a waypoint, you can store notes with it and take a photo that it will store with the waypoint. Real easy to do. I thought that was a cool feature.

BackCountry is good and you can add BLM map layers for $7.99 it has most of the basic features you need. I used BackCountry last year and still use it but I a trying out Cabelas new app. Trimble maps are very good with a lot more map choices. Trimble is the company that is responsible for Cabela's Recon. I would use the Cabela's version if you think there is any chance you may sign up for Cabela's Recon Elite serivice. I it is a bit steep at $29.99 per year but it has some great features such as unit map and BLM outlines. The Cabela's product also allows you to set up trips on your computer via their site and then easily sync them on your phone. You also get ballistics info for factory loads, and geo-caching features. They seem to be actively developing other features based on user feedback which is good to see. If you are willing to bite the bullet the Cabela's app and services seem to be very good. I tried not to like the tool because the price is steep but it works and is very straightforward but Unit & BLM layers are great to have an setting everything up on your computer and then turning on your phone and pushing sync is the easiest way to build an accurate trip plan wit the right maps I have found. I hope to play with it a bit more and come back with an review of the app compared to a few others.

Remember you need to cache the maps you want on your phone before you go into the field or the screen will be blank once you lose your cell signal.

Wow! Thanks for the info ill check into it.

Back Country is great as others have said. But if you are using it on a Thunderbolt phone it is not so good.

wow...I didn't know you could do this!! Now I have another thing I need to figure out how to do on this stupid phone :) ha ha

Backcountry Navigator Pro is a good one! You can download the topo maps for the area you want before your trip so that you can access them when you are in the field without 3g coverage.

My GPS died the other day and I used my phone instead to record waypoints and look at the topo map to plan the rest of my survey.

Agree...Backcountry Navigator. My buddy has it on his Droid and is very useful. He used it a lot on our elk hunt...one thing he noticed is it seems to run down the battery a lot faster even when off the cell network. I wish it was available on iPhone. I may try out the other one mentioned above for iPhone.

I got the Trimble app this year and it was OK. The GPS signals in these apps seems pretty weak and that was the main problem - hard time locking onto your present location. For spots without service you have to "pre-load " maps, if you don't it won't load maps which sucks if you don't realize it until you're up there. For $6 it's still a good tool to have IMO.

Just got back from my trip down in 36b. I used the Demo mode of Backcountry Navigator while on the trip on my S3. This app was great! I downloaded the map of my area and used it while I was out there. Waypoints were good. Maps were excellent. If you do not have cell service it will still work if you download the map. Youtube has many tutorial videos for this Ap. I put the phone in Airplane mode since I did not have cell phone service in most of the area I was in. The ap did not drain my battery as bad in Airplane mode.

/>Backcountry Navigator Pro is a good one! You can download the topo maps for the area you want before your trip so that you can access them when you are in the field without 3g coverage.

Agree...Backcountry Navigator. My buddy has it on his Droid and is very useful. He used it a lot on our elk hunt...one thing he noticed is it seems to run down the battery a lot faster even when off the cell network. I wish it was available on iPhone. I may try out the other one mentioned above for iPhone.

ViewRanger Outdoors. (iphone) Free USGS. I'm still trying to figure out how to use the maps. Anyone know how to view the map offline? (oops found it)... Settings/online maps/ "off"

Amazing program....My handheld gps just became obsolete.