ZBAR

23 Late muley

I wish! Actually my best friend and I just drew the muley hunt for unit 23 nov 1-7th and I was looking to see how other hunters have done. My brother in law had the same hunt last year and we hunted down low near cherry creek, black Mesa, ect. and didn't have any luck with the muleys. We did turn up some whitetails though, even some whitetail sheds. But nothing for mulies. We never got a chance to hunt up north in the unit but I'm guessing that is where we will start this year. I've hunted bear up around colcord and saw some elk but no mulies. I'm hoping that we can get at least a couple scouting trips in before the hunt....

I wish! Actually my best friend and I just drew the muley hunt for unit 23 nov 1-7th and I was looking to see how other hunters have done. My brother in law had the same hunt last year and we hunted down low near cherry creek, black Mesa, ect. and didn't have any luck with the muleys. We did turn up some whitetails though, even some whitetail sheds. But nothing for mulies. We never got a chance to hunt up north in the unit but I'm guessing that is where we will start this year. I've hunted bear up around colcord and saw some elk but no mulies. I'm hoping that we can get at least a couple scouting trips in before the hunt....

I got the same hunt but I drew tag #1

It would be a fun tag to have for sure, but in the 25 years i've spent in 23, looking everywhere and anywhere i have only seen 1 buck that would go over 190, and maybe 2 or 3 that would go over 180. The late hunt is a good bet for a 155 type deer or so though. Good luck and have fun on your hunts in 23.

I have personally seen a buck that went 190"+ in there while scouting for another hunt. Wide and tall with trash. I also know of a guy that took a measured 186" buck out of there 3 years back ... shot with a rifle on the first rifle hunt not long after another buddy missed shots at the same buck twice with a bow.

Great unit. Might archery hunt it this year if I don't head to 6A.

Good to hear that there are some big bucks in there! It sounds like there just aren't that many of them...I sure hope that I can go scouting quite a bit, I have a feeling that this will not be an easy hunt.

/>

It would be a fun tag to have for sure, but in the 25 years i've spent in 23, looking everywhere and anywhere i have only seen 1 buck that would go over 190, and maybe 2 or 3 that would go over 180. The late hunt is a good bet for a 155 type deer or so though. Good luck and have fun on your hunts in 23.

your looking in the wrong spot. Plenty of big bucks in this unit. Gotta get in the nasty stuff.

• Like 1

A+ cross road has a couple good access points on the back side of rosey. lots of muleys down low!

James

• Like 1

Stop telling the secret spots. jk. 23 is the best overall Unit in the state. (My opinion) You can hunt just about every animal that Az offers. From the low desert all the way to the pines. I think I'll try and list the animals 23 offers. And trophies at that. Mule deer, whitetail, elk , javelin, bear, turkey , yotes, lions, antelope, Sheep, quail, dove, bobcat, banned pigeon, what else did I miss?

• Like 1

Mule deer on right is 181" Mule deer taken in 23 a few years ago

very nice!

seen so toades through out the unit. I agree 1 of my favorite units!

welcome to the site!

James

• Like 1