Sign in to follow this  
stanley

Adopting a baby!

Well, one of my best friend's (and bird hunting partners) vizsla finally has had a litter of pups! We lost our family dog (a troublsome little beagle :blink: ) a couple of years ago, and my buddy promised my kids that if Debbie ever had pups that he would give them one. She delivered them last Friday, and now the kids are going nuts! It doesn't help that he keeps sending me pics like these.

Anyway, we're looking forward to being dog owners again. I've fallen in love with his two vizsla's, and I'm sure that one of these pups will make a great addition to our family. I'm a little concerned about the 'family dog vs. hunting dog' contradiction, and hope that we can spend enough time with him/her out in the field so we can get the best of both worlds.

Guess I might be switching over to more mearns hunting, as opposed to my beloved gambels run-n-gun hunting that I've grown so acustom to. I'm looking forward to hunting over a dog with my kids though!

Hope you all enjoy the pics as much as my wife & kids do!

S.

;)

Fresh out of the womb! These little guys are anywhere from 1-4 hours old at this point. A VERY loving mom!! <_<

DSCN5873-v2.jpg

A sleeping pile of pups!

DSCN5879-v2.jpg

Finally, with a bill layed-out on mom to give them some scale. They each were about 15oz at birth, and have almost doubled their weight in the first four days! Big eaters!!! :blink:

DSCN5888v2.jpg

hate to tell ya this dude, but them little fellers look a lot like bullwidgeon. definitely curs. ;) , Lark.

Will it be a baby girl or baby boy you adopt? She? should be fine in the house and a hard worker in the field. Just will need to avoid the cholla areas you've learned to hunt.

RR

Stanley them are some fine lookin pups.

Holy heck Lark, you're right! That one sleeping on bottom has a shnozz that looks just like him! Well, if she ends-up not being too great of a bird hunter, maybe I can use her to lure in a javelina for one of my kids to shoot. :rolleyes:

Doug, we're thinking it will be a 'she'. My wife has it in her mind that she would rather have another girl in the house, as opposed to a boy? Imagine that.... There were 7 pups total in the litter, with only two of them being girls. We're heading down to Tucson after we get back from a little family vacation in a couple of weeks to pick one out, so we'll see what happens then.

Good lookin pups for sure 25-06 (even if they do resemble bullwidgeon a bit...). :P

S.

:)

get her ready and we'll take the mutts and find a few coveys of Mearns!! I remember you saying that your buddy had a good set of Vislas.