Sign in to follow this  
bvanetten

22 South Muzzleloader Bull

The wife got picked this year. This is her 1st elk hunt and she is excited. I've spent quite a bit of time in 5BS and 6A, 22S is completly new to me. I've got a few cameras out at some tanks and we're seeing quite a bunch of cows and spikes. I've only caught one bull coming in to water in 2 weeks, a small 5x5. Should I be worried? If the big boys are in the area they will need to water eventually. I don't know, maybe I should pull the cameras and try a different area? I would think if there are cows there will eventually be bulls.

Any advice out there for 22S?

post-621-0-26295700-1345429362_thumb.jpg

post-621-0-66583800-1345429388_thumb.jpg

I don't know this unit real well, but have spent some time there and researching the hunt. The research I have done tells me that the big bulls move in the last few weeks prior to the hunt as the rut starts to pick up. I think you are in a good position with the cows and a few key water sources located. Once the rut gets going I think you are going to have more bulls around. Congrats and good luck!

You should be more worried that you are telling people where your cameras are and where they can find elk without doing their own homework. Maybe ask a more general question without being so specific. The Payson area is notorious for people stealing cameras.

You should be more worried that you are telling people where your cameras are and where they can find elk without doing their own homework. Maybe ask a more general question without being so specific. The Payson area is notorious for people stealing cameras.

Wow, first post and already attacking...

I wasn't trying to attack. I was passing on some advice I was given about the area. I said to post a more genral question so he can still get help without giving away info to people who aren't out earning it.

I edited the post to remove the location I'm scouting. I can't stand thieves. Guys, I really appriciate the info. Karma will come back and bite those in the butt that steal or try and take advantage of others good nature. I run cheap cameras just in case they get stolen! I can kinda stomach losing 50$ but 200$ would make me sick.

I'm more than willing to swap info as I come by it. Like most of you, I don't do this for a living, I do it cuz I love it. And I don't mind helping others along the way.

I know the area well. Things are going to change over the next couple of weeks as the rut approaches. If you find the cows you will find the bulls. Had a great time on that hunt last year, you will have a great time. I'm not going to divulge any specifics as I am helping a friend with the same hunt :) Good luck.

Good call, should have thought of that. Still pissed, would like to catch this turd. Could care less about the $50 the camera cost.

If you need the pictures that bad write your email on a piece of paper and put it in front of the camera. I'll email you the friggin pics!

A friend and I have this hunt.. There are plenty of bulls running around get out and look and you will find some. There is plenty of water around most tanks i have checked dont have much elk sign and there are elk all around them.