Sign in to follow this  
naturegirl

FINALLY...a bear sighting!

Well as many days as I spend in the field each year you would think I've seen a bear before in person, but I hadn't up until a couple days ago. We were out scouting and my husband saw this guy (I think I have no clue??) on the other side of a clearing. I was trying to plan a route to get a closer look at him and next thing we knew the bear was crossing the road about 50 yards from us. The wind was right and he had no idea we were there. We had the camera and video camera with us and got some footage, although I was shaking so bad I doubt the video is going to be very good...lol. Yes, we would have had an archery shot if this was next week, but as you know so well the season is not open.

I always said I wanted to see one "over there" where I can watch it without it knowing I'm there and that is exactly what we got. We took our photos, backed out, and let him continue eating. It was absolutely the coolest thing ever! Here's a couple photos. If you could, please let me know your thoughts on sex or age.

If you remember my past post about bears, I had my side arm & bear spray. Husband had a side arm and rifle with him (been seeing lots of predators lately. Even saw my 1st mountain lion in person a week ago), but we didn't need any of it :0) It was a great encounter.

bear2012.jpg

bear22012.jpg

Great photos way to go.

That's awesome!! Sure gets the heart pounding! IF the season was open that(picture) was a great opportunty to sneak in for a shot. I have snuck in on 5 bears feeding, 20 yrds or less. They get so preoccupied with eating they are oblivious your there. If the winds right and your in camo move very slow. Time is on your side, their not going anywere. It's just like when we eat, chewing severely reduces their hearing. As they move the branches around it impears their vision a little to movement. In every case I had to throw things or yell to get their attention. With one exception and he's I'm hunting room now.

Good luck!

The shorter muzzle makes the bear look like it is not a juvenile. Based on the belly, I'd go about 250 pounds plus or minus 50. Good bear.

WOW! What great photos and a great experience. Congrats on seeing mountain lion too! Good luck on upcoming hunt!

WOW! What great photos and a great experience. Congrats on seeing mountain lion too! Good luck on upcoming hunt!